JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
That's a new one.
An FFL can release the gun to the transferee if a NICS check is still inconclusive after 72 hrs. Meaning neither denied nor approved.

Good luck finding one who will actually do that though. I'm sure some will, but I've never met one.

The only issue with that statement is that, in Washington, NICS is not the only driver for background checks when it comes to handguns, it's local law enforcement. I live in unincorporated Snohomish County, therefore, the burden is on the Sheriff's office to conduct a background check. If they don't get it done in ten business days, I get the firearm on the eleventh business day. That's how the law reads, which is a difference piece of legislation than I-1639.

Bolt guns and shotguns are different. They rely on NICS only, and can be taken home at time of purchase.

The only issue with that statement is that, in Washington, NICS is not the only driver for background checks when it comes to handguns, it's local law enforcement. I live in unincorporated Snohomish County, therefore, the burden is on the Sheriff's office to conduct a background check. If they don't get it done in ten business days, I get the firearm on the eleventh business day. That's how the law reads, which is a difference piece of legislation than I-1639.

Bolt guns and shotguns are different. They rely on NICS only, and can be taken home at time of purchase.
Fair enuff... I live in OR and I'm not up-to-snuff on WA gun law except as it pertains to my nonresident CPL.
Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, Oregon NICS checks have to go through the OSP. That adds a layer of beuracracy and cost, but on the plus side it's much easier to resolve issues w a state agency vs the feds.

The law that. I could find:
RCW 9.41.092
Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(a) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee (i) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law and (ii) does not have a voluntary waiver of firearm rights currently in effect; or
(b) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.
[2019 c 3 § 4 (Initiative Measure No. 1639, approved November 6, 2018); 2018 c 145 § 4; 2015 c 1 § 4 (Initiative Measure No. 594, approved November 4, 2014).]

Looks like 10 days

And our lovely legislature and citizens decided that any semiauto rifle regardless of hardware, design, or caliber is an assault rifle. Yeah. It's the law. My Ruger 10/22 is an assault rifle. A pesky little thing though it may be.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top