JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I took my Witness to the range and put 100 rounds thru it. very accurate (Wish I was) but the first mag emptied and locked back, I easily dropped the empty mag. The next mag in rotation and every one after (Including the first one) would not release the mag with the slide locked back. Anyone heard of this before or have any Ideas? At least it shoot all the ammo. I was using Underwood ammo.

That is the problem, but you should not have to release the slide to release the magazine. The magazine should release with the slide locked back, so you can drop out the empty magazine, reload a fresh full magazine and then release the slide to put the weapon in battery. Yes you can do it as it is but it makes for a much slower reload.

Have one, inserting the loaded mag into the gun with a light slam instantly drops the slide home/into battery. Excellent combat feature. What color are your followers? Red or black?

PS my empty mags drop out easily, they are late gen black follower types

I don't get it.....Are you saying once the slide locks back after the last round is fired the mag won't release when you PUSH THE MAG RELEASE BUTTON? And you then must pry slightly with your finger to get the mag to drop? I have an Elite Limited (has ran flawless in the 150 rounds I've put through it), the mag follower is just barely depressed by the slide release on last shot, after lock back. Perhaps there's a burr on the mag release button, or something came loose in the mag well that is binding on the mag?

??

Mike

I don't get it.....Are you saying once the slide locks back after the last round is fired the mag won't release when you PUSH THE MAG RELEASE BUTTON? And you then must pry slightly with your finger to get the mag to drop? I have an Elite Limited (has ran flawless in the 150 rounds I've put through it), the mag follower is just barely depressed by the slide release on last shot, after lock back. Perhaps there's a burr on the mag release button, or something came loose in the mag well that is binding on the mag?

??

Mike
Dear Mike,
I'm seriously considering a Witness Elite Limited in 9mm. I want a "Bullseye" accurate 9mm with a good trigger which I can put a frame mounted optic on. It is a while since your post above. I wonder whether your Elite Limited has been reliable and accurate.

Dear Mike,
I'm seriously considering a Witness Elite Limited in 9mm. I want a "Bullseye" accurate 9mm with a good trigger which I can put a frame mounted optic on. It is a while since your post above. I wonder whether your Elite Limited has been reliable and accurate.

It's been flawless. I probably only have about 400 rounds through by now though. I'm not that great of a shot but I fully believe if you had an optic on it you could shoot one ragged hole at 50' from rest. I believe the key to the limited's accuracy is the polygonal barrel and the cone lock up. Some of the lesser models don't have the cone lock-up or polygonal barrel.

Another note. Mags for the Elite Limited are spendy$$$. You have to come up with the "Large" Mecgar mag for CZ...$34.00+/-. You have to get the aluminum base plate from Hennings Shoots because of the "competition magwell" HENNING GROUP - Product Detail - Competition Magwell for Tanfoglio As I look now they may have a less expensive (plastic) mag base that works with the the large CZ mag? The aluminum jobbie shown on the gun on their website was near $40.00 shipped. It appears the price has lowered, from what I remember. This base pad it whats needed for the elite Limited....Witness Aluminum Base Pad for Gold & Limited #102037 - WITNESS P - WITNESS GUN PARTS - WITNESS - TANFOGLIO - PARTS

I recently heard from a Mecgar mag dealer, that's always at our local gun shows, that Tanfoglio and CZ are not allowing Mecgar to sell their mags directly to the public. :confused: From the looks at the Hennings shoots site at almost $100.00 for a mag?....:eek: That may be true.

After looking some more you may not need to get the aluminum base plate. Be sure to research it well so you don't end up with something you cant use.

It's been flawless. I probably only have about 400 rounds through by now though. I'm not that great of a shot but I fully believe if you had an optic on it you could shoot one ragged hole at 50' from rest. I believe the key to the limited's accuracy is the polygonal barrel and the cone lock up. Some of the lesser models don't have the cone lock-up or polygonal barrel.

Another note. Mags for the Elite Limited are spendy$$$. You have to come up with the "Large" Mecgar mag for CZ...$34.00+/-. You have to get the aluminum base plate from Hennings Shoots because of the "competition magwell" HENNING GROUP - Product Detail - Competition Magwell for Tanfoglio As I look now they may have a less expensive (plastic) mag base that works with the the large CZ mag? The aluminum jobbie shown on the gun on their website was near $40.00 shipped. It appears the price has lowered, from what I remember. This base pad it whats needed for the elite Limited....Witness Aluminum Base Pad for Gold & Limited #102037 - WITNESS P - WITNESS GUN PARTS - WITNESS - TANFOGLIO - PARTS

I recently heard from a Mecgar mag dealer, that's always at our local gun shows, that Tanfoglio and CZ are not allowing Mecgar to sell their mags directly to the public. :confused: From the looks at the Hennings shoots site at almost $100.00 for a mag?....:eek: That may be true.
===========================================
Thanks for the excellent response. I just placed an order for a 9mm Elite Limited with Ben Stoeger Pro Shop - seemed to be about the best deal that I could find online and they seem to be an experienced dealer. Also got an extra OEM mag from them. Looking forward to shooting it. I have several decent 1911's, but my Kimber Custom II in 9mm just did not shoot well despite a trigger job and a red dot. I have now traded that for a long barrelled K38. So I'm hoping that the Elite Limited will meet my expectations.
Your comments and advice are much appreciated. I will let you know how the gun works out.

Great! I sure hope you're not disappointed....Curious what you're paying for the gun, mag too? I see on the Tanfoglio site the MSRP is up to $1500.00, it was $1200.00 something when I got mine for a bit under $1100.00. It took me close to three months for it to come in to Kieth's up here in PDX.

Great! I sure hope you're not disappointed....Curious what you're paying for the gun, mag too? I see on the Tanfoglio site the MSRP is up to $1500.00, it was $1200.00 something when I got mine for a bit under $1100.00. It took me close to three months for it to come in to Kieth's up here in PDX.
Stoeger has them for $1099, but then the shipping is expensive. Total including a second mag and shipping is $1,255.

Stoeger has them for $1099, but then the shipping is expensive. Total including a second mag and shipping is $1,255.
"Stoeger"? Is that a local gun shop for you? Shipping shouldn't be expensive for a dealer....But I bet that mag is?

EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited - 9mm

As I have learned. Different vendors use different strategies to make up their return. In this case they appear to pad the shipping, but no charge for CC and the mag was only $24.99.

Swings and roundabouts!

Got it. I hope that mag you're getting is the one shown in that gun? I haven't looked today but I found nowhere to buy them when I bought mine, and for $25.00 dollars? I had to buy the mag and base plate separately.

Be sure and let us know how things turn out. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top