JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
put the standard swivel stud in the butt and buy the clamp on set up for the mag tube. Bimart sells the clamp and stud plus the sling attachments made by Uncle Mikes part # 1391-2, it has everything you need.

<broken link removed>

oooh, I like this:

donrslingcvr1.jpg

Ditto for the Uncle Mike's arrangement. I'd also go on a 9422 with the lightest sling on the market, Butler Creek's Utility Sling, 1" x 48". It can be shortened with a utility knife or scissors, and then the end melted with a Bic lighter.

If you thought you'd be really taxing the purchase point on the tube magazine, then opt for a screw stud on the front that will go into the wood rather than clamping on the tube.

I have never had the tube clamps fail when installed correctly, but a rimfire tube is much less stout than tubes on a centerfire gun, hence the option to go to the forearm wood on a gun to be used in extreme conditions.

Here's a Marlin with the swivel on the fore-end. I have a second Marlin with a tube mounted swivel and it has deformed the tube slightly. I picked it up used and don't know what caused this. I would go with the fore-end mount.

336a04.jpg

Yours looks like there is a locking nut on the forend swivel stud which makes me think it's a bolt mount rather than a wood screw. Am I seeinng that correctly? Seems the bold would be more sturdy in that application.

Sorry for the poor quality of the following pics. I just did this real quick-like.
My father's Winchester 94, w/1.5x Bushnell scope and snap-swivels.
The sling technique is repeated on both my and my brother's 94's.
It is absolutely the BEST place to locate sling swivels on that gun.

Dean

P.S. That gun has been set-up in this fashion for over 30 years now. Dad never had a lick of trouble from this arrangement.

Winchester94-001.jpg

Winchester94-002.jpg

Winchester94-003.jpg

P.S. That gun has been set-up in this fashion for over 30 years now. Dad never had a lick of trouble from this arrangement.

Glad to hear that.
I pulled the forearm off my rifle yesterday and am not comfortable with the amount of wood available to hold the stud screw. I'm thinking the clamp on the tube is the way to go. Now for the task of finding one locally. No time to order online :(

If you prefer leather for sling material, the very best levergun sling is a Brownell's Latigo Sling. Instantly adjustable, lightweight (for a leather sling), and looks like it belongs on a trim levergun.

Also, do not discount the wood mount for your front swivel just yet. If the wood is questionable for thickness for a wood-screw type stud, there are options to go with a nut (that is "star etched" on its rim to purchase on the wood), and/or you can put a flat washer behind it as well. This might require some countersinking to keep it all away from the metal inside.

Glad to hear that.
I pulled the forearm off my rifle yesterday and am not comfortable with the amount of wood available to hold the stud screw. I'm thinking the clamp on the tube is the way to go. Now for the task of finding one locally. No time to order online :(

There are studs from Uncle Mike that use a machine screw with a nut on the back that may work on the forearm instead of the wood screw type. That would work if you want to locate it there instead of the mag tube like the kit I recomended.

Glad to hear that.
Yeah, that was dad's concern, too, but what he was really looking for were "snap swivels".
That way he could use one sling on multiple guns.
He found it and it worked like a champ.
Used the same sling on the 94 and the 1100 for many seasons.
I think he may have gotten the snap swivels at K-Mart in Bremerton....or maybe it was Penny's.
That's where he orignally bought the gun in '77, but its been so long now, I can't exactly remember anymore.

Dean

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

The other reason he liked the clamp-on snap swivel is because he felt that if he tried mounting the top swivel on the forarm, it would stick the barrel up too high.
Somehow or another, he was able to mock the sling up, to see how close to the top of the head the end of the barrel came, if it were attached to the forearm.
I remember that, because I was the "model" he used, to check the barrel height.
By placing the clamp where its shown in the picture, there's absolutely NO WAY that barrel is going to snag on thick brush and low hanging branches.
When you do the majority of your hunting around the south end of the Hood Canal (that's spelled D-E-W-A-T-T-O, btw), that feature can be a litteral God Send.

Dean

Trying to buy anything specific in Tri-Cities is like a scavenger hunt :( The 6th store I went to today had the Uncle Mike's swivels with clamp for the feed tube. They did not have a leather sling... Store 5 had one but, rather than back track, I moved on to store 7 where I bought a black leather 'military' sling. Would have preferred tan if there'd been a second choice.

Sigh! It's all assembled with my new Skinner Sights and will go to the range tomorrow to zero the sights. Pics to come later.

They did not have a leather sling... Store 5 had one but, rather than back track, I moved on to store 7 where I bought a black leather 'military' sling. Would have preferred tan if there'd been a second choice.

Eventually bought another sling. This one is a Montana Sling from Sinclair Manufacturing and it looks very much at home on the Winchester. It adjusts by way of a leather prussik rather than buckles :)

Montana Sling Official Website - Rifle Hunting Slings

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR