JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought a sled was a good idea to eliminate shooter variables. Then a guy who has an outstanding pedigree, Marine snipper instructor, custom AI builds, etc., tells me, Get it out of that sled! I have a precision build 6.5CM from Rainer and have been working up rounds for the 1Kyd shoots. What are the pro's and con's for using a sled?

Is this a magazine fed bolt gun or a semi-auto platform?

Are you talking about single loading devices or some type of shooting cradle? I ask because of your statement "get it out of that sled".

A SLED is a Single Loading Enhancement Device that is placed on top of the magazine follower to keep the bolt from locking to the rear and to better align the cartridge with the chamber entrance easing loading and reducing the chance of damage to the rounds concentricity upon chambering.

Also ...

What were the reasons given by this pedigreed shooter?

If we are talking about a SLED, they do not cause any problems whatsoever in precision shooting, in fact they enhance it.

If we are talking about some type of cradle, well the only problem I see with these is that the zero and groupings will be slightly different compared to when you are the one holding (and placing pressures on) the gun.

Any human will exert pressures a bit differently so you might get tiny difference in group size if how you hold the gun affects barrel harmonics and will most likely have a slightly different point of impact as the recoil arc will be slightly different between a human held and a machine held firearm.

So a cradle is great for load development and sighting in, but you do need to tweak the final settings by actually shooting the firearm as it will be shot when in use.

I only like sleds when it snows.....Err wait...:eek: :D

As noted above by DLS ...
A sled is great for zeroing , load development and the like....
But unless you do all of your shooting with the sled...it really won't help when shooting from it , as a way of general practice.
Andy

A sled is a great tool for acquiring baseline data.

Then try to replicate the data (or improve the result) when transitioning to a bipod or other rest.

You can return to the sled to verify/proof the rifle. Using the baseline information to determine the source of a change in performance.

Edit to add... an example would be returning to the sled to verify that your optic was still tracking properly.

Last Edited:
NEVER ZERO WITH A SLED WITHOUT CHECKING YOUR ZERO FROM FIELD POSITIONS! THINGS CHANGE!

If you set your rifle/scope to give you a good field of view in a sled, you will almost always have the scope too far to the rear for field shooting. If you must use a sled, use it for load development or testing the ability for your equipment to hold zero.

Once you've selected the most consistent ammo and you're confident in your optics and mounts, zero from field positions. People always ask how I'm able to shoot so fast when hunting. It's because I fit my rifle like I would fit a shotgun. When the rifle comes up, my body isn't fighting it to find a comfortable cheek weld or a full field of view.

Sleds also can cause damage to a rifle, especially if it kicks hard and wears a wood stock. The tang can become a splitting maul for the wrist of your stock.

I occasionally use one when developing loads for harder kicking rounds like 45-70 or some of my muzzleloaders. That being said I pretty much have a love hate relationship with my sled as it is kind of awkward to use. Once the bulk of load development is done I lose the sled in favor of standard double bag setup or bipod/rear bag setup. The 6.5 creedmoor is such a peach to shoot I would not think a sled would have any tangible advantage.

I thought a sled was a good idea to eliminate shooter variables. Then a guy who has an outstanding pedigree, Marine snipper instructor, custom AI builds, etc., tells me, Get it out of that sled! I have a precision build 6.5CM from Rainer and have been working up rounds for the 1Kyd shoots. What are the pro's and con's for using a sled?

There are no cons to using a sled. A sled isnt to develop pracatical shooting skills, its to develope the most accurate zero of your rifle... your rifle, ie; not your shooting shooting skills. After you zero your rifle with a sled, then you practice your practical shooting skills.

I use a sled to develop a load.

After that, it's all on me, a bipod and a bag.

edit:
I didn't get the practice with free ammo from the government to hone my skills so I use a sled in the above manner to reduce MY financial costs and shortcut to accurate ammo minus human variables.

Last Edited:
I'm pro sled.....my 25-06 remmy 700 stays in the sled till I go hunting.
Shot buck this year off hand on my knees at 325 yds and point of impact was just fine.

competition shooting might be a different story.

That being said I pretty much have a love hate relationship with my sled as it is kind of awkward to use.

Agreed. It never did me much good in load development and zero work. From my own personal experience, it was more trouble than it was worth to use and didn't enhance the work. Maybe the design I had, maybe me. But I found a new home for mine. Back to the bags.

If we are talking about the lead sled or similar devices, be very cautious using one as you can damage both your rifle and your scope. I have read a couple different threads on this same topic on other forums. This one from Accurate Shooter has some great information on sleds: https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/what-causes-the-damage.3925381/

Never used one and never seen the need. If you can't handle your rifles recoil then get a lighter recoiling caliber/rifle. If you are having troubles grouping your firearm, your money would be better spent obtaining training.

I use a sled to develop a load.
This.

Not using a sled of some sort, isn't doing your reloading any justice. It is the best way to see what the reload is capable of without as many outside variables.

After the loading is established, then you should see what you are capable of.

I always use a sled for load development. It takes some of the human factor out of equasion.

Some people can't hit the side of a barn if they were standing inside but still shoot anyways.

Try a toboggan. Waayy mo' bettah.

1609695528195.jpeg

:eek:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR