JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This woman should have her dogs taken from her.

Watkins, a native of Arkansas who moved to Alaska when she was 5, is no stranger to mushing or its dangers. Her father and step-mother are well-known mushers Allen Moore and Aliy Zirkle.
So she's just an idiot then. She's well aware of the dangers but refuses to take the proper tools to keep her dogs safe. Her dogs deserver FAR better.

Correction. She's a SUPER idiot. Everyone knows that all those rifles in scabbards, slung over a saddle..."with all the jostling"...go off by themselves all the time. :rolleyes:
"It is never a musher's intention to go out and kill an animal," Watkins told the AP.

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

Here's a non-pay wall article.

Very informative... I think her father failed her. Only someone uninformed thinks that a 9mm short/.380 can stop a huge animal.

"I have never felt so helpless in my life," Watkins wrote. "He would not leave us alone and he even stood over top of the team refusing to retreat."
Live there and not have a weapon to protect you against the kind of critters they have there???

Here's a non-pay wall article.

Very informative... I think her father failed her. Only someone uninformed thinks that a 9mm short/.380 can stop a huge animal.

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.

Well this article was easy to see written by a MORON who does not know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. The gun would "just go off" all by its self huh? Stupidity should be painful, too bad the dogs were the ones who had to pay instead of the other idiot.

Yeah, and shotguns are even worse. Those Mossberg 590's are always going off. They're so delicate that you can't even leave them rolling around under the seat of your farm truck for a decade and only clean them once a year. :rolleyes:

* I don't have a farm truck but you and I both know people who do. :) At least I have the 590. :D

Easy anagram: Idiotard

Ok, that's not really a word.
It's a portmanteau.

:)

I'm never going to see the word Iditarod the same again. :s0140:

I wonder what she shot it with, or how her aim was. Those are sturdy animals for sure, but a well placed shot should drop that animal.

Last Edited:
Moose are fairly tough but I am guessing her shots were less than optimally placed. Also ammo/cartridge might not have been totally suitable for the task but my money is on it being mostly a bullet placement issue. Sucks about the dogs but at least she was unharmed. Maybe she will learn from it and up her game after this. I also wonder if she had bear spray available? I bet it would work on a moose.

I started watching a wild Alaska show the other day. There's this hipster chef that uses foraged local food such as berries or fish. He's rocking a revolver on his hip in each shot, I wonder how he is with it.

This happens a lot in Alaska.

The natural enemy/predator of moose is wolves.

Moose don't know a dog from a wolf, especially huskies/et. al. in dog sled teams.

Almost every year they have sled races, at least one of the teams gets trampled by a moose.

Many people in Alaska have a dog along with them on their trail walks and hiking, a major reason is to supposedly protect them from bears. Then a moose attacks them and the dog(s).

10 MM auto at the Minimum, .44 Magnum is more ideal, .454 Casull even better! Best is a DAMN RIFLE, .45/70 is usually a One and Done kinda deal with most threats except Big Bears, Shotguns with Slugs work, but a good Stainless Lever .45/70 is tops! Outside that, .338 Win Mag would be another good choice, and as mentioned above, .375 Holland & Holland is outstanding! Walk into most Bars in Alaska and check the gun racks, you always find lever actions, almost always .45/70!

Last Edited:
There was a thread on this yesterday. I believe the article said she was carrying a .380 auto. :s0140: She said she wouldn't carry a bigger gun because larger calibers could just "go off by themselves", or something equally as stupid. She took lots of heat for that in the other thread. I'm sure somebody can find it.

I've been traveling to middle-of-nowhere Alaska for work lately, heading back up north again this next week. Moose ain't like deer or elk…
Had a friend put in the hospital by a deer that jumped out in front of him when he was riding a motorcycle

But yes, moose are a lot larger and can be very aggressive.

I think that at least some significant percentage of the deaths caused by moose are collisions with motor vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews