JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back, I bought an old Chinese Norinco SKS at a pawn shop. It had been partially modernized (ie: bayonet removed; vented hand guard replacing the original wood hand guard; fixed 10 shot magazine replaced with a removable 5 shot). I shot this one for a while and it's a shooter for sure. I decided that it would be fun to update fully (translation: Lets Bubba the sucker!!). Typically, I would never mess with an original SKS as I think they are a wonderful looking weapon. Missus Chugger has an all matching numbers SKS that is beautiful and shoots like a dream.

Anyhow, this is what the rifle looked like before I started:
Before-1.jpg

This where I am at so far:
After-1.jpg

The changes are:
Tapco T6 stock w/ lower rail in Dark Earth color
Tapco butt pad
Tapco 20 round removable magazine (I bought 2)
Tapco High Visibility Sight Pin set
NCStar Pin-on Muzzle Brake
Hogue Slip-on Handgrip
Profile.jpg

The T6 stock came with a composite hand guard, but I have decided to leave it off. I like the look of the vented metal hand guard. Plus, I can use it to grate cheese in a pinch
Guard.jpg

The sight pin is not as High Visibility as I had hoped. My eyes are just not as sharp as they once were, so Ill probably swap this pin out for a fiber optic type.
Brake.jpg

Some additions Ill probably add are:
  • A folding bipod that attaches to the unused bayonet lug
  • A folding foregrip to attach to the front rail.
  • Some type of optics and a mount that will still allow for the use of the open sights, probably Choate as I dont mind drilling and tapping this gun.
  • A sling (suggestions?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your rifle is shaping up to be bubba tactical for sure. I'm partial to the wooden stocks on SKS's but like you said if it came from a pawn shop already a bit modified the what the H***....
How does it shoot with the thirty round Tapco mag?
I would say go regular mil spec nylon web sling...they work great for stabilizing while shooting but then I have restored two SKS's to be closer to the originals....
Great guns and good luck with your project.
-A

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top