Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

SKS Project

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Chugger, May 2, 2010.

1. Chugger

Chugger Central Oregon Member

A while back, I bought an old Chinese Norinco SKS at a pawn shop. It had been partially modernized (ie: bayonet removed; vented hand guard replacing the original wood hand guard; fixed 10 shot magazine replaced with a removable 5 shot). I shot this one for a while and it's a shooter for sure. I decided that it would be fun to update fully (translation: Let’s Bubba the sucker!!). Typically, I would never mess with an original SKS as I think they are a wonderful looking weapon. Missus Chugger has an all matching numbers SKS that is beautiful and shoots like a dream.

Anyhow, this is what the rifle looked like before I started:
    Before-1.jpg

This where I am at so far:
    After-1.jpg

The changes are:
    Tapco T6 stock w/ lower rail in Dark Earth color
    Tapco butt pad
    Tapco 20 round removable magazine (I bought 2)
    Tapco “High Visibility” Sight Pin set
    NCStar Pin-on Muzzle Brake
    Hogue Slip-on Handgrip
    Profile.jpg

The T6 stock came with a composite hand guard, but I have decided to leave it off. I like the look of the vented metal hand guard. Plus, I can use it to grate cheese in a pinch
    Guard.jpg

The sight pin is not as “High Visibility” as I had hoped. My eyes are just not as sharp as they once were, so I’ll probably swap this pin out for a fiber optic type.
    Brake.jpg

Some additions I’ll probably add are:
    • A folding bipod that attaches to the unused bayonet lug
    • A folding foregrip to attach to the front rail.
    • Some type of optics and a mount that will still allow for the use of the open sights, probably Choate as I don’t mind drilling and tapping this gun.
    • A sling (suggestions?)

Before-1.jpg

After-1.jpg

Profile.jpg

Guard.jpg

Brake.jpg

2. Autonomous

Autonomous Olympia WA Member

Looks like your rifle is shaping up to be bubba tactical for sure. I'm partial to the wooden stocks on SKS's but like you said if it came from a pawn shop already a bit modified the what the H***....
    How does it shoot with the thirty round Tapco mag?
    I would say go regular mil spec nylon web sling...they work great for stabilizing while shooting but then I have restored two SKS's to be closer to the originals....
    Great guns and good luck with your project.
    -A