JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After burning up some old factory ammo I had on hand, I've tried a few loads so far. Some 165 grain coated lead plinkers with Unique for knocking down steel, and some old 150 grain PSP bullets I have over a couple rifle powders. Seemed to do decent with both.

After trying a lower-end load of IMR 4895 and IMR 4227 with the coated bullets, I think a gas check would be helpful, as I got a little leading in the last 1/3 of the bore.

Would like to see what I can do with the 150 grain PSP bullets with rifle powder as I have a decent supply of these thanks to another member here.
My thoughts would to be to try a good 150 grain bullet and then mess around with heavier stuff and see if I could get a decent 1000ish speed. Like super 300 blackout. I imagine you could get the heavier stuff to go subsonic in it like 300 blackout, but with maybe a bit more speed…

Not so much a preference, but rather since I didn't previously have one, I had to get one... :s0092:

T/CA Encore in .223... and yes, it's left-handed.
I'm one of those screwy types that's right-handed and left-eye-dominant, so if it's gonna be a target rifle, it's gonna be left-handed.
And it's a tack driver...

View attachment 1224599
Me too. Though left eye dominant and ambidextrous. I have a pair of encores and I have around a dozen barrels. 22tcm is my favorite. And it is a tack driver. I really like mgm barrels.

I have some other single shots, Henry, stevens, NEF as well. I find that I like to suppress them more than anything else. .32 s&w long is awesome fun suppressed.

Last Edited:
I was bitten by the Ruger #1 bug many years ago when I was handed a #1 in a calibre the guy called .30/378 Arch or Archer, long time so I don't remember.
Since that day I have owned Ruger #1's in:
.25-06
.458 Win Mag rechambered to .458 Lott and
.338 Win Mag rechambered to .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
The .338 RUM was a beast, 30" barrel and a high powered Leupold scope shooting 250gn at near maximum loadings.
They are, in my opinion, probably the best looking rifle ever made. Yes big call but I stand by it :)

That's what I've been eyeballing. Have you loaded for it at all? I think it would be awesome to work up a tipped bullet for the 30/30 single.
125g Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a .30-30 is a lightning deer killer. I don't have a .30-30 single shot, but have loaded pointy bullets exclusively for the bolt action .30-30's that have resided here.

When I bought my first T/C Encore a friend mentioned that single shots are a sickness.
I have since owned and enjoyed T/C G2s, Handi Rifles, Ruger #1s, Winchester and
Browning 1885s and a Pedersoli Rolling Block. If single shots are in fact a disease I
hope it never stops! With the ammunition and loading supply situation, single shot
rifles make a bunch of sense. I have even bought single shot adapters for my CZ
rifles. I find that shooting a single shot rifle from a bench is a relaxing way to shoot.
I did have an AK47 and SKS in the past, returned to the single shot regimen that I
followed as a youth, necessary because of ammo availability due to financial
considerations. Are there any members that prefer single shot rifles?
Bill
I prefer this one. An original 1873 Remington #1 sporter converted from .38 Long rimfire to .357 Magnum.
RRB Restore - 18.jpg

That's a good looking Remington ZZZ. I bought my Pedersoli from a friend due to his health problems. I missed an auction for a Roller in 357, didn't see another that I liked. I will say that my Roller in 45-70 is very accurate. I typically shoot it at 500 yards, hitting a 14' steel plate if I don't drink too much coffee.
Bill

Single shots may be the last guns we are allowed to own. I have an old NEF in .223 Rem. sitting right next to an AR in the safe.

Want some real fun try a semi auto single shot like the Winchester model 55 .22.

I have a number of single shot .22's and a Replica Winchester model 1885 in 45-70 with double set triggers and a 32" barrel. And then of course the Muzzle loaders.

I like the encore, because I can shoot 22tcm, 5.7, 327 federal magnum, 32H&r Magnum, 32 S&w Long, 32 acp, 460 S&w, 454, 45 LC, 45 raptor, 45-70, 30-06 500 s&w, 7.62x25 all with a barrel change

Single shots may be the last guns we are allowed to own. I have an old NEF in .223 Rem. sitting right next to an AR in the safe.
I don't care what they will allow. I come from a long line of Appalachian outlaws, and I grew up in that time when they treated pot like heroin. I will not comply.

I have a Ruger No. 3 in .223. I did mount a scope on it, which made it a little less handy, but it is still a great carbine. My father in-law had one in 22 Hornet. He really liked it too.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top