JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I bought my first T/C Encore a friend mentioned that single shots are a sickness.
I have since owned and enjoyed T/C G2s, Handi Rifles, Ruger #1s, Winchester and
Browning 1885s and a Pedersoli Rolling Block. If single shots are in fact a disease I
hope it never stops! With the ammunition and loading supply situation, single shot
rifles make a bunch of sense. I have even bought single shot adapters for my CZ
rifles. I find that shooting a single shot rifle from a bench is a relaxing way to shoot.
I did have an AK47 and SKS in the past, returned to the single shot regimen that I
followed as a youth, necessary because of ammo availability due to financial
considerations. Are there any members that prefer single shot rifles?
Bill

Are there any members that prefer single shot rifles?
Not so much a preference, but rather since I didn't previously have one, I had to get one... :s0092:

T/CA Encore in .223... and yes, it's left-handed.
I'm one of those screwy types that's right-handed and left-eye-dominant, so if it's gonna be a target rifle, it's gonna be left-handed.
And it's a tack driver...

TCA Encore.jpg

Last Edited:
I have owned a few single shots, .22lr rifle, 16 gauge shotgun. I wouldn't say that I prefer them, but I think there is something true about your accuracy increases when you know you only have the one shot.
Especially during times of limited availability and high ammo cost, they are a good option.

When I bought my first T/C Encore a friend mentioned that single shots are a sickness.
Browning 1885s and a Pedersoli Rolling Block. If single shots are in fact a disease I
hope it never stops! With the ammunition and loading supply situation, single shot
rifles. I find that shooting a single shot rifle from a bench is a relaxing way to shoot.
I did have an AK47 and SKS in the past, returned to the single shot regimen that I
Bill
When shooting a single shot version of the AR it makes for a cleaner and easier to maintain action and saves you from having to police brass three benches over (even with no brass catcher hanging off the side of your rifle). It will also allow you to explore loads outside of those that are sufficient to operate a gas system. With the addition of a sled you can single feed longer than mag length rounds too. It could slow down your shooting which may save on ammo. You won't have to worry about unintentional double taps either.

While not a strict preference for me, I enjoy single shot rifles. Have a few, including a Handi rifle in 44 mag, Henry 30-30, and a 22 bolt action. I also have single shot adapters for a number of my CZ bolt actions.

While at the range, I do think that a single shot causes me to try and make each shot count a bit more. In general, I think this is why I tend to gravitate towards a bolt, lever action, or single shot rifle rather than an auto loader.

Only one at this point - a Handi-Rifle in .223 and I really like it.

I was planning on a few more but then Remlin abruptly stopped producing the HRs and they dried up quickly - especially the older, wood stocked ones in the most popular calibers - like the ones I wanted!

100_1155.jpg

Bill
Will say, Ruger #1's have always had a special place in my heart (and gun safe). They get a bad rap, but I've never had one that wasn't a shooter.
The great thing about them for packing/horseback, even with a 28" barrel, their AOL is significantly shorter than a bolt action.

I really enjoy a good single shot. I'm thinking if getting either a 300 blackout or maybe even a 30/30 next.

As far as new production single shot rifles go, I haven't seen the Henry
single shot mentioned. After some early trigger issues, the reports
seem to be mostly favorable. Now to find an excuse to buy yet another
addition to the family. The problem I have is justifying what I do have.
I recently sold some T/C Contender barrels that had not been shot in a
couple of years, better for someone else to have a chance to enjoy them.
I have enjoyed a few Ruger #1s, never had any problems with them. I
have narrowed it down to the two that will not leave me while I am on
the upper side of the grass. The first is a Lipsey's Exclusive #1A in 22
Hornet, the second an elderly red pad #1V in 223. As I fossilize I have
decided to keep and use what I like best. Everyone stay safe, I fear the
storm on the horizon!
Bill

As far as new production single shot rifles go, I haven't seen the Henry
single shot mentioned. After some early trigger issues, the reports
seem to be mostly favorable. Now to find an excuse to buy yet another
addition to the family. The problem I have is justifying what I do have.
I recently sold some T/C Contender barrels that had not been shot in a
couple of years, better for someone else to have a chance to enjoy them.
I have enjoyed a few Ruger #1s, never had any problems with them. I
have narrowed it down to the two that will not leave me while I am on
the upper side of the grass. The first is a Lipsey's Exclusive #1A in 22
Hornet, the second an elderly red pad #1V in 223. As I fossilize I have
decided to keep and use what I like best. Everyone stay safe, I fear the
storm on the horizon!
Bill
So far, I'm enjoying the Henry 30-30 single shot I picked up earlier this year. It's new production; the earlier ones had a recall on the trigger. The trigger is pretty decent on this one.

C0201A2D-18F2-46E1-AFA1-ACE08F759FF5.jpeg D0F92674-07D5-49AE-A86B-5D8D12CD782A.jpeg

That's what I've been eyeballing. Have you loaded for it at all? I think it would be awesome to work up a tipped bullet for the 30/30 single.
After burning up some old factory ammo I had on hand, I've tried a few loads so far. Some 165 grain coated lead plinkers with Unique for knocking down steel, and some old 150 grain PSP bullets I have over a couple rifle powders. Seemed to do decent with both.

After trying a lower-end load of IMR 4895 and IMR 4227 with the coated bullets, I think a gas check would be helpful, as I got a little leading in the last 1/3 of the bore.

Would like to see what I can do with the 150 grain PSP bullets with rifle powder as I have a decent supply of these thanks to another member here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top