JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After burning up some old factory ammo I had on hand, I've tried a few loads so far. Some 165 grain coated lead plinkers with Unique for knocking down steel, and some old 150 grain PSP bullets I have over a couple rifle powders. Seemed to do decent with both.

After trying a lower-end load of IMR 4895 and IMR 4227 with the coated bullets, I think a gas check would be helpful, as I got a little leading in the last 1/3 of the bore.

Would like to see what I can do with the 150 grain PSP bullets with rifle powder as I have a decent supply of these thanks to another member here.
My thoughts would to be to try a good 150 grain bullet and then mess around with heavier stuff and see if I could get a decent 1000ish speed. Like super 300 blackout. I imagine you could get the heavier stuff to go subsonic in it like 300 blackout, but with maybe a bit more speed…

Not so much a preference, but rather since I didn't previously have one, I had to get one... :s0092:

T/CA Encore in .223... and yes, it's left-handed.
I'm one of those screwy types that's right-handed and left-eye-dominant, so if it's gonna be a target rifle, it's gonna be left-handed.
And it's a tack driver...

View attachment 1224599
Me too. Though left eye dominant and ambidextrous. I have a pair of encores and I have around a dozen barrels. 22tcm is my favorite. And it is a tack driver. I really like mgm barrels.

I have some other single shots, Henry, stevens, NEF as well. I find that I like to suppress them more than anything else. .32 s&w long is awesome fun suppressed.

Last Edited:
I was bitten by the Ruger #1 bug many years ago when I was handed a #1 in a calibre the guy called .30/378 Arch or Archer, long time so I don't remember.
Since that day I have owned Ruger #1's in:
.25-06
.458 Win Mag rechambered to .458 Lott and
.338 Win Mag rechambered to .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
The .338 RUM was a beast, 30" barrel and a high powered Leupold scope shooting 250gn at near maximum loadings.
They are, in my opinion, probably the best looking rifle ever made. Yes big call but I stand by it :)

That's what I've been eyeballing. Have you loaded for it at all? I think it would be awesome to work up a tipped bullet for the 30/30 single.
125g Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a .30-30 is a lightning deer killer. I don't have a .30-30 single shot, but have loaded pointy bullets exclusively for the bolt action .30-30's that have resided here.

When I bought my first T/C Encore a friend mentioned that single shots are a sickness.
I have since owned and enjoyed T/C G2s, Handi Rifles, Ruger #1s, Winchester and
Browning 1885s and a Pedersoli Rolling Block. If single shots are in fact a disease I
hope it never stops! With the ammunition and loading supply situation, single shot
rifles make a bunch of sense. I have even bought single shot adapters for my CZ
rifles. I find that shooting a single shot rifle from a bench is a relaxing way to shoot.
I did have an AK47 and SKS in the past, returned to the single shot regimen that I
followed as a youth, necessary because of ammo availability due to financial
considerations. Are there any members that prefer single shot rifles?
Bill
I prefer this one. An original 1873 Remington #1 sporter converted from .38 Long rimfire to .357 Magnum.
RRB Restore - 18.jpg

That's a good looking Remington ZZZ. I bought my Pedersoli from a friend due to his health problems. I missed an auction for a Roller in 357, didn't see another that I liked. I will say that my Roller in 45-70 is very accurate. I typically shoot it at 500 yards, hitting a 14' steel plate if I don't drink too much coffee.
Bill

Single shots may be the last guns we are allowed to own. I have an old NEF in .223 Rem. sitting right next to an AR in the safe.

Want some real fun try a semi auto single shot like the Winchester model 55 .22.

I have a number of single shot .22's and a Replica Winchester model 1885 in 45-70 with double set triggers and a 32" barrel. And then of course the Muzzle loaders.

I like the encore, because I can shoot 22tcm, 5.7, 327 federal magnum, 32H&r Magnum, 32 S&w Long, 32 acp, 460 S&w, 454, 45 LC, 45 raptor, 45-70, 30-06 500 s&w, 7.62x25 all with a barrel change

Single shots may be the last guns we are allowed to own. I have an old NEF in .223 Rem. sitting right next to an AR in the safe.
I don't care what they will allow. I come from a long line of Appalachian outlaws, and I grew up in that time when they treated pot like heroin. I will not comply.

I have a Ruger No. 3 in .223. I did mount a scope on it, which made it a little less handy, but it is still a great carbine. My father in-law had one in 22 Hornet. He really liked it too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top