JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
some people lists items and simply state items, and price. other people request state drivers license, some people add that they want to see a Concealed permit. Some want bill of sale. or possibly all three. its fantastic when people list what they want, but nothing is more dissapointing then showing up to buy or trade and suddenly someone wants a bill of sale, etc. i wish people would list what they want. this not an argument about what should be required, or what shouldnt. just simply that full disclosure would be appreciated.

If your selling guns you "should" expect to have a BOS and DL check (CPL optional but advised for 2 forms of ID) to CYA. There is no standard for this just be ready for a request of anything but not the sacrifice of your first born son...

You shouldn't "expect" to have to do anything the seller doesn't list in the sale. It's up to each seller what they want to require, but if it's not said they want a bill of sale, cpl, then you should not be expected to do these upon meeting.

That's the problem. I've set up sales with people and at the last minute they ask for Bill of sale, or even wait till I drive an hour or more. Then ask for it. I don't want to fill one out and that's my decision, just like it is theirs to require it. But to drive, take the time to meet, then have it sprung I you is just like any other thing not listed in the sale. Like the picture shows a scope, the upon meeting it doesn't have it. Once again it's on both parties to ask these questions. Just saying it'd be nice if we had a "format" for selling items.

well in that case it would be your best interest to ask all these questions before you take the time to drive anywhere for any type of transaction, do not leave it up to the other guy to do your thinking for you. It's called CYOA.

true, and ive started asking but it did take twice to start asking. ive even had some people say "cpl, and drivers is fine" then spring the bill of sale when you get there. ive even had one say he didnt require anything, then when i showed he decided he wanted me to fill out a firearms transfer form.

Most of these issues could be handles through proper communication prior to the sale. An email, text or phone call asking what they'd like to have provided at the time of sale is pretty easy to take care of.....

They should also reciprocate. If they want a bill of sale, you should also get their information as well. If they want a CPL, they should have one as well. I have no problem with bill of sale, but I'm going to want their information too, in case it turns out the item is stolen, i want to be able to give the police enough information to find the person.

I want a Receipt, saying John Doe sold me an XYZ, Serial #123456, and a view of a photo ID of John D. that is to buy it!

Once upon a time I ~helped~ some one "get out of town", to leave her abusive BF.

Two weeks later, BF is knocking on my door, demanding HIS long gun BACK, and threatened to call Sherriff on me for buying s stolen weapon.

I simply showed him her signature upon the Bill of Sale, and told the bubblegum that He would lose his "Beat her up toy" for selling stolen weapons....

It got better, he said, he had the $75.00 I had paid for it, and to just give it back.

My reply was that I bought it as an investment item, and the cost was $150.00 not a dollar less, and he got furious... Shelled out the green, and then I made him sign a bill of receipt for the gun.

ANGER & FRUSTRATION. But CYA in this instance very important, and regardless of Where the ~for sale~ post is, if you do not Know them for Five solid years of close friends, anything less is cause for concern. Now, the other side of that coin: the seller does not know you from Adam, how is he to protect himself, from you selling that, or Worse, you using that, for criminal purpose, and that gun, recovered goes Right back to John Doe owned it, LEO will be on your case for a while, and might just try, their ~very best~ To pin it on you.

That costs lots more than the five minutes of time spent in verification....

My Two 1950 Pennies,

philip
In the BoonDocks...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR