Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Silencer footage

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Ranb, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

I have been trying to get the WA law banning silencer use changed for the last several years. Part of the problem is that I keep hearing from my Senators and Representatives that silencers are illegal in the United States. To help clear a few things up, I am putting together a video explaining silencer design, legalities and a demonstration at a rifle range.

YouTube - firearm ed 6A.mpg

This is the rifle range footage I shot and edited using a Canon HF21 and Pinnacle Studio version 9. Comments are welcome.

Ranb

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Marysville, WA Member

Nice video, good job. :)

3. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

With a silencer, and a 10-22 Sub-Sonics, all you hear is the bolt action and the 'ting' when it hits the target ...... :D

4. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

If I may make a couple of suggestions. In order of pickyness :p

1. You say silencer if the first part of the video.

2. Set up some comparisions with things that would rate at the same decibel level. Like an unsupressed rifle being as loud as a jet engine and and suppresed one being like a dog barking. If you have the production ability do some pause / split screen action. This is probably the most important thing you can do, all they need to do is turn the volume of the TV and your argument will be lost to them.

3. Have a woman narriate.

4. Have the shooting be a family event/picnic with kids and women. Show kids shooting the 10/22. (its all about presentation)

5, Ditch the AR's no black rifles, no black rifles.

P.S. Please take this as a critique only, all in all great job!

5. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

6. NoEcm

NoEcm Seattle Member

There are 37 states that allow suppressor ownership but all 37 states ban their usage? (I know that this is not the case but that is what the caption sounds like)

7. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Antis naturally recoil at any combination of kids and guns... the 'hearing protection' aspect is good to play up, and is most applicable to frequent shooters.... i.e. hot female policewomen.

8. Ranb

I posted the video link on James Randi Educational Foundation , another one of the websites I post on. I wanted to get the non gun owner's views on the video. They were less kind but supportive for the most part and had some good ideas. They say the video is boring (it is in a way) and way too long. They think I do not need to show as much footage as I did and I tend to agree.

Only one person tried to convince me that silencers will illegal in the USA. Firearm silencer footage - JREF Forum I had some words with him and now he does not like me anymore. Boohoo for him.

Anyway, one of the forum members over there says he is a voice-over artist and has offered to help. I am sending him a copy of my script and posting the first part of the video as soon as I get it rendered.

If anyone here has a good speaking voice (preferably female) I would like to send you a copy of my script so I can get your voice recorded on a wave file that I can insert into the video.

Ranb

9. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Small world - I love the JREF forum! I've always wanted to go to their annual meeting in Vegas.

I agree a professional voiceover would be a good addition. I think a diagram would help address the relative volume levels without the expense of a sound meter. I'll put something together and send it to you.

I had to laugh at some of the uniformed comments...

10. Ranb

I was in Vegas right before TAM8. I should have extended my stay to attend. I will attend one of these days. Are you a forum member? Do you think I treated Crossbow too harshly for telling me that silencers were illegal in the USA?

Ranb

11. Ranb

I made the below offer on SeattleGuns.NET • Index page . If anyone else wants to take advantage of this, then I am happy to help.

Ranb

12. HalfNutz

HalfNutz Kirkland (Juanita) Member

Am I missing something? Where's the vid?

13. Ranb

14. Ranb

I am burning DVD's to send to those who requested them. It is going to be more expensive than I thought. 17 out of 30 so far have failed to burn properly. I have tried Pinnacle Studio (refuses to properly burn DVD-R but will burn DVD+R), Win XP will not make a copy that works in my DVD players, and Nero has a 50% failure rate.

I will have to find a place out in town that can make copies for me.

Ranb

15. Ranb