JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Variation on bore sighting. Have done this minus the 'deprimed' brass (kind of a tiny hole for old eyes). If you can remove the bolt and see through the bore it works.
This can be done at 25 or 100 yards.
Remove the bolt.
Position the weapon on a stable platform.
Align the bore to the desired POI.
Adjust the scope (or sights) to the bores POI
Assemble the bolt and take the shots (3x, don't trust a single shot)
Fine tune if needed.

Never seen or heard of it being done this way before, but am wondering how well it would work?
Does anyone here have any experience with this?
(watch the video)

I happened to have 25 yards in my back yard. A table with a rest and chair. And a full size poly cone with a white top. Set the gun in the rest and adjust it so you can see the white top of the cone down the bore. Then look through the scope and adjust to see the white cone top. When I got to the range it was almost dead on centered and 6" high. About 12 clicks down and a couple or three left. Bingo! Same basic thing. If I do it again, the unprimed brass looks like a good idea too.

You can get one of these cheapies (LaserBoresight) and align your scope down a long dark hallway.
I had bought a used Bushnell Laser Bore Sighter from a member. It worked fine, but was more difficult to set up the the method above. Now though, the cat loves it!

I'd think that the method in the video may not work so well for small bore rifles.

I've been doing that with Berdan primers for years.

FJgmXmkJyXrbEwgCwfjcaa-1200-80.jpg

I boresight all of my rifles like that minus deprimed case- that may be more precise but is probably harder to find your target.

Dean, do it without the brass case.
  1. I'll hang a florescent line at 21 yards in my driveway with a bead tied in it, and use a gun vise.
  2. Level the rifle
  3. Mount the scope
  4. Align the vertical reticle with the string line
  5. Tighten the scope, keeping level and alignment
  6. Center the bead in the rifle barrel.
  7. Move the reticle to the bead.
  8. You'll be in the black at 100
  9. Same vise on the shooting bench, focus on a 1/2" dot on the target.
  10. Take one shot.
  11. Because of recoil, move the reticle back to the dot and make sure the rifle is anchored.
  12. With the vertical and windage knobs, move the reticle to the last shot hole in the paper.
  13. One or two more shots to confirm.

Dean, do it without the brass case.
  1. I'll hang a florescent line at 21 yards in my driveway with a bead tied in it, and use a gun vise.
  2. Level the rifle
  3. Mount the scope
  4. Align the vertical reticle with the string line
  5. Tighten the scope, keeping level and alignment
  6. Center the bead in the rifle barrel.
  7. Move the reticle to the bead.
  8. You'll be in the black at 100
  9. Same vise on the shooting bench, focus on a 1/2" dot on the target.
  10. Take one shot.
  11. Because of recoil, move the reticle back to the dot and make sure the rifle is anchored.
  12. With the vertical and windage knobs, move the reticle to the last shot hole in the paper.
  13. One or two more shots to confirm.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR