JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen a guy sighting in his rifle had the scope rotated 90 degrees! Elevation knob makes it go
right and left. Windage knob bullet goes up and down. Priceless

I watched a guy "sight in" his new AR at the range once, a few years ago. I resisted the urge to butt in and help him, but he wasn't asking for help and seemed to be enjoying himself, so I didn't.

He'd shoot 20 or 30 rounds, check his shotgun-pattern group at 25 yards, tinker with his scope and rip off another magazine full or so.

I wanted to show him how to get it in the bullseye within three shots, but I minded my own business. He was clearly having fun, had a huge grin on his face as he packed up to leave. I asked if he reloaded, and generously offered to clean up the empties when he said no.

I picked up over 400 pieces of nice, once-fired LC 5.56 brass after he left.

This is where the 'poor man's bore sight' procedure comes in handy.

Last time I did it before live fire sighting in my Mauser .243 put its first shot 1" below the bullseye at a 100 yards.

This is where the 'poor man's bore sight' procedure comes in handy.

Last time I did it before live fire sighting in my Mauser .243 put its first shot 1" below the bullseye at a 100 yards.
It's amazing how many people don't know how to do this. It's harder to do with some guns, and impossible with others, but with a bolt action or AR, it's really simple.

I got lucky the other day. I removed a carry handle from my other AR and installed on my new Beowulf, clamped down the pic rail fsb and headed to the range. I never had to touch it, was ringing steel at 50 yards.

When I was still big game hunting, I bought a cheap Walmart Remington 700/scope in 30-06. I didn't have thousands to get a quality gun and a good scope.
I cleaned it then bore sighted in the back yard then off to the woods to sight in, first shot was 1" right and 1" high, I adjusted and next shot was 2" high just above the bullseye. :eek: I left it alone.

I watched a guy "sight in" his new AR at the range once, a few years ago. I resisted the urge to butt in and help him, but he wasn't asking for help and seemed to be enjoying himself, so I didn't.

He'd shoot 20 or 30 rounds, check his shotgun-pattern group at 25 yards, tinker with his scope and rip off another magazine full or so.

I wanted to show him how to get it in the bullseye within three shots, but I minded my own business. He was clearly having fun, had a huge grin on his face as he packed up to leave. I asked if he reloaded, and generously offered to clean up the empties when he said no.

I picked up over 400 pieces of nice, once-fired LC 5.56 brass after he left.
I watched a guy chasing zero with a pistol for half an hour a few years ago. 5 yards out, take one shot, adjust the sight, take another shot, adjust it back, no two shots within 4" of each other... So hard not to tell him that he was just a bad shot. I eventually suggested that he brace the pistol on the bench and get a good group of three in the same spot, but he was happy with his own method. I hope he doesn't hunt. :rolleyes:

Place I used to work had a huge sand pile we used for a backstop to shoot. One day the boss is there with several of his friends "sighting-in" their muzzle-loaders for Elk season. Most of them just fired several shots until they hit the target and considered the gun "sighted in".😲😲

I have seen a guy sighting in his rifle had the scope rotated 90 degrees! Elevation knob makes it go
Man. That sounds like something I would have done 10 years ago. :oops:
I did some pretty dumb stuff. Nothing dangerous, just dumb.

I watched a guy chasing zero with a pistol for half an hour a few years ago. 5 yards out, take one shot, adjust the sight, take another shot, adjust it back, no two shots within 4" of each other... So hard not to tell him that he was just a bad shot. I eventually suggested that he brace the pistol on the bench and get a good group of three in the same spot, but he was happy with his own method. I hope he doesn't hunt. :rolleyes:
Sounds like you were watching my cousin. He did the same thing every time we went shooting.

All my rifles are setup that way....
Keeps the ejected cases from hitting the windage turret.
jmo,
👍
Edit: and easier to do a visual chamber check.

Some years back there was a guy at the range shooting a series of reloads through his pistol (don't remember what kind). I talked to him a little and he said he was doing a "ladder test". He had them neatly labeled and separated in groups. He'd shoot a few, look at his group and note it in his notebook, then shoot another group.

As I recall, he was shooting at the 25 yard line, getting 6-8" groups. I remember thinking how his groups were random, some bigger and some smaller just through chance rather than any one load actually shooting better. I didn't know how to tell him that you actually have to be a good shot to learn anything at all from a "ladder test". I just scratched my head and minded my own business.

I really can't feel too superior though; I'm sure I did a lot of ignorant, foolish stuff back when I was a newbie. :)

I know a guy who feels the need to sight in his rifle once a week, every week leading up to hunting season. Goes through 60 or so rounds every time then complains he can't find ammo. Will no kidding, you keep shooting it all.

I know a guy who feels the need to sight in his rifle once a week, every week leading up to hunting season. Goes through 60 or so rounds every time then complains he can't find ammo. Will no kidding, you keep shooting it all.
I like this type of person that you described.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top