Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Side charging AR?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by rainman, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rainman

rainman St Helens Oregon New Member

Hey,

First post on this forum. I was on black hole weoponry's website and saw that they are going to be making a side charging ar. I'm not well versed with ar's so can someone tell me why a side charging ar would be better than a standard rear charging handle.

Thanks in advance for any reply's

2. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I don't think people like to reach under scopes, or pull it back into their face while in shooting position. Myself, I wouldn't buy an AR that has to use specialty parts.

3. rainman

rainman St Helens Oregon New Member

That's a good point. If you have some sort of problem or if you want to change something you have no choice but to go back to the maker. That would make me nervous.

4. Fat Jesus

Fat Jesus Oregon Member

I want one bad, but i want the LAR OPS-4 Ambi side charging upper

Char-Lee-Bat likes this.
  5. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I hope that charging handle is non-reciprocating. It looks like it could get caught up on a barrier or break your thumb.

6. Fat Jesus

Fat Jesus Oregon Member

nope, the handle moves every shot.

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

donotwant_peewee1220769580341.jpg

8. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Since many firearms are stolen concepts from other firearms mashed together I'm surprised that they didn't try to swipe/modify the charging handle concept from the FAL- yes I realize that it would most likely be more work and require machining you own uppers with the T slot for the charging handle but at least you wouldn't have a reciprocating charging handle.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  9. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Top charging?

AR-10done07.jpg

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

donotwant_peewee1220769580341.jpg

11. SteveXKR

SteveXKR Tacoma,WA Member

12. Lokjell

Lokjell WA New Member

The LAR-OPS4 is pretty cool. I got it for hunting use, as I could charge the weapon much more quietly than I could with the charging handle/forward assist. I also am looking forward to suppressing it at some point, and like the idea of shutting off the gas and just using it like a straight pull bolt action for maximum noise reduction.

It has a reciprocating handle, but I grew up hunting with Remington 1100's and Browning BAR's, so it didn't bother me in the slightest. I also shoot left handed and use the right side charging handle without any difficulty.

13. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Not sure why Redcap doesnt want one of those. I would LOVE to have one in my collection.

14. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

One thing that might be a benefit of a reciprocating side charger is the ability to stomp on the charging handle if you have a stubborn FTE jam like you can with an AK (rather than doing the stock pogo routine).
    I wonder if it would cause more bolt carrier wear by having a side charger putting a sideways load on it during charging.
    Those early top charging ARs would have a wee bit of a problem mounting optics with a newer flattop design :)

15. ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr PNW Active Member

Haven't heard too many stories of guys getting caught up on barriers, or breaking thumbs with SCARs, or AKs, or any of the other countless weapons with reciprocating charging handles.

I've heard of some guys getting slapped by the SCAR handle, but thats pretty much the side effect of user error and is a self-correcting action.

Char-Lee-Bat likes this.
  16. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

The advantage of a side charging handle is that you do not have to dismount the rifle to run the bolt.

Char-Lee-Bat likes this.
  17. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

side charging like the Adcore B.E.A.R. ?

Char-Lee-Bat likes this.