JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey,

First post on this forum. I was on black hole weoponry's website and saw that they are going to be making a side charging ar. I'm not well versed with ar's so can someone tell me why a side charging ar would be better than a standard rear charging handle.

Thanks in advance for any reply's

nope, the handle moves every shot.

donotwant_peewee1220769580341.jpg

Since many firearms are stolen concepts from other firearms mashed together I'm surprised that they didn't try to swipe/modify the charging handle concept from the FAL- yes I realize that it would most likely be more work and require machining you own uppers with the T slot for the charging handle but at least you wouldn't have a reciprocating charging handle.

The LAR-OPS4 is pretty cool. I got it for hunting use, as I could charge the weapon much more quietly than I could with the charging handle/forward assist. I also am looking forward to suppressing it at some point, and like the idea of shutting off the gas and just using it like a straight pull bolt action for maximum noise reduction.

It has a reciprocating handle, but I grew up hunting with Remington 1100's and Browning BAR's, so it didn't bother me in the slightest. I also shoot left handed and use the right side charging handle without any difficulty.

One thing that might be a benefit of a reciprocating side charger is the ability to stomp on the charging handle if you have a stubborn FTE jam like you can with an AK (rather than doing the stock pogo routine).
I wonder if it would cause more bolt carrier wear by having a side charger putting a sideways load on it during charging.
Those early top charging ARs would have a wee bit of a problem mounting optics with a newer flattop design :)

I hope that charging handle is non-reciprocating. It looks like it could get caught up on a barrier or break your thumb.

Haven't heard too many stories of guys getting caught up on barriers, or breaking thumbs with SCARs, or AKs, or any of the other countless weapons with reciprocating charging handles.

I've heard of some guys getting slapped by the SCAR handle, but thats pretty much the side effect of user error and is a self-correcting action.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top