JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We are looking to sell our house in the next few years. Planning for retirement. Either looking to downsize or move out of Oregon and buy some acreage. For those that have enough land to shoot on what do I need to consider while searching properties?

Read laws. Specific to where you want to live. Especially the county and urban growth boundaries.

Or.........leave the PNW for some place that actually believes in the Constitution and our Bill Of Rights

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing Oregon DOESN'T have going for it is constitutional carry. Washington is right behind it, the only other thing being no NFA firearms allowed here. That's pretty amazing when you consider how blue these states are.

8.13.12 GUN OWNER FACES LEGAL BATTLE FOR SHOOTING ON HIS OWN PROPERTY (http://www.oregonfirearms.org/8-13-12-gun-owner-faces-legal-battle-for-shooting-on-his-own-property)

I will admit that I haven't kept up on this issue and that it is still "legal" to shoot in some areas of Clark Co. but our politicians and really "common sense" as more people continue to move into the area are going to stop private shooting in this area...........I know, it's a big State but all it takes is a few unhappy neighbors..........

8.13.12 GUN OWNER FACES LEGAL BATTLE FOR SHOOTING ON HIS OWN PROPERTY (http://www.oregonfirearms.org/8-13-12-gun-owner-faces-legal-battle-for-shooting-on-his-own-property)

I will admit that I haven't kept up on this issue and that it is still "legal" to shoot in some areas of Clark Co. but our politicians and really "common sense" as more people continue to move into the area are going to stop private shooting in this area...........I know, it's a big State but all it takes is a few unhappy neighbors..........

That sucks. Hopefully the law comes out on their side. I guess that's how these sorts of rights are affirmed... through legal precedent. Someone's got to be the first to take up the fight though. Glad these guys aren't just backing down.

Or.........leave the PNW for some place that actually believes in the Constitution and our Bill Of Rights

There is no such place.

Anyway, the main thing to look for in a property is a backstop!

I have 10 acres S of Hillsboro and lots of the neighbors shoot. I have a 100yard range in the gully behind my place. I hear more shooting where I live, than I did when I was living in Wyoming.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing Oregon DOESN'T have going for it is constitutional carry. Washington is right behind it, the only other thing being no NFA firearms allowed here. That's pretty amazing when you consider how blue these states are.

BGCs on all private transfers, making all transfers now de-facto registration

An anti-gun administration and the OSP only to happy to oblige when it comes to enforcement.

I agree about a backstop and also recommend safe shooting directions.

I have a gully I can shoot in, but the distance is poor, there are houses in 3 directions with no real backstop between, and the gully is forested so poor lighting and obstructions.

My next place is going to not have those problems if I can help it.

We recently took a trip to Yellowstone that covered so much beautiful open country (America). It hard to read the crap like in Lincoln county. That's not liberalism that's just a power grab, some Dukes of Hazards stuff.

So what is "property" these days? You work hard and long enough to possibly pay off some land and someone (as in one person) can nullify that because they don't like the idea and can construe the wording of the law to make it fit. Not the intent of the law.

One thing I liked about the PNW when I moved here was people basically stayed out of your business. Now it's just reversed. People that won't say boo to you on the streets can't wait to go tattle tell to the government because they don't like something you might be doing.

PS: Heading to the PDX gun show this morning.

You just need to find the right neighborhood. Avoid all "pretty" places - particularly those within commute range of the big cities - like the plague. I always used to say, if you want to live where liberty is, look for a place with a dead car in the road, or on blocks in someone's front yard. That's a sign that the "improvers" are not running rampant.

As to property, all property is owned by the government. Even if it is paid off, we are still renters. Try not paying your rent (known by the euphemism of "property taxes") and see what happens.

BGCs on all private transfers, making all transfers now de-facto registration

An anti-gun administration and the OSP only to happy to oblige when it comes to enforcement.

With an Executive Order by an unelected Governor now not only acknowledging the previously illegal registration but requiring it.

How the hell did we the people get an unconstitutional gun registration without an amendment to our state Constitution or even a vote?

Oops, sorry, I forgot, we have Progressives running everything now who not only know better that we do about our own decisions, but know better than the law and constitution does.

Actually WA does allow some NFA firearms, just not full auto. Which is why I can't move there.

We are looking to sell our house in the next few years. Planning for retirement. Either looking to downsize or move out of Oregon and buy some acreage. For those that have enough land to shoot on what do I need to consider while searching properties?

It isn't necessarily about the acreage. Layout can be far more important. For example, a few acres may be enough if you are blessed with a large hill on your property. So do pay attention to how the property is laid out and what is surrounding it. Just because a piece of land around your property is uninhabited today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow. So the more you can understand the ownership and salability of the surrounding parcels, the better. You don't want somebody moving in next door a couple years down the road and building a house in the "flight path" of your range.

Make sure you're clear on what your goals are. The requirements for a 25 yard pistol range will be different than a 1000 yard rifle range. Know what your "ideal" is and what you're willing to compromise on.

Neighbors - There's a saying I always liked... "Love thy neighbor but choose a good neighborhood." When it comes to shooting on your property, the less neighbors the better. But if you gotta have them, having neighbors that shoot and are pro gun is better than living next to anti-gunners. Even if everything is legal, having someone who is anti-gun, anti-noise, etc., living close to you can create enormous problems. Nothing good ever comes from feuding with neighbors. So picking good ones cannot be emphasized enough.

It goes without saying to have a clear understanding of the local laws, where it's legal to shoot and where it's not. It would suck immensely to buy a piece of property only to find out after you move in that it's illegal to shoot there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top