JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This might be a silly question, but I haven't been able to find a straight answer. I would like to know if target shooting into an earth backstop is acceptable during forest closure months.

I went to the ODF website, State of Oregon: Fire - Restrictions & Closures , and it stated that the Columbia county woods are closed for fire safety, and any industrial work. But it doesn't say anything about target shooting, besides the usual no tracer rounds etc etc.

If I go in and bring the necessary fire prevention materials, gallon of water, shovel etc. am I good to shoot?

This might be a silly question, but I haven't been able to find a straight answer. I would like to know if target shooting into an earth backstop is acceptable during forest closure months.

I went to the ODF website, State of Oregon: Fire - Restrictions & Closures , and it stated that the Columbia county woods are closed for fire safety, and any industrial work. But it doesn't say anything about target shooting, besides the usual no tracer rounds etc etc.

If I go in and bring the necessary fire prevention materials, gallon of water, shovel etc. am I good to shoot?

No explosive targets or tracer rounds, dont shoot trees or stumps, have required safety equipment (shovel, fire extinguisher or water)

This sign is posted at the tillamook forest shooting site

RegUseBanner.jpg

I'm no expert but unless it says no shooting allowed then it shouldn't matter as long as your safe about your shooting area.

No explosive targets or tracer rounds, dont shoot trees or stumps, have required safety equipment (shovel, fire extinguisher or water)

This sign is posted at the tillamook forest shooting site

View attachment 305874

Great, that is the same sign that is posted in my area, so I think I am good to go. I thought I would be okay, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers up there. Thanks for the feedback!

Great, that is the same sign that is posted in my area, so I think I am good to go. I thought I would be okay, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers up there. Thanks for the feedback!

also be careful shooting steel targets with steel core rounds. the steel fragments can be quite hot and if it lands in some dry moss or brush it can smolder for a long time before catching fire.

A study of ignition by rifle bullets - Forest Service Research & Development

so best to shoot paper with a soft dirt backdrop during fire season.

Also, if a fire starts, call it in of course. Some people leave worried they are going to get in trouble and obviously it gets worse. The Department of forestry guys have said if you are being safe about it (not shooting propane bottles, for example) and accidentally start a fire you wont get in trouble.

That is a really interesting study! Thank you for sharing. I was noticing that my shooting lane has become more and more overgrown through the summer, maybe I'll bring a weed wacker up there with me next time and clear it out a bit. The last few times I have gone up it was raining though.

But, it is usually just me shooting by myself with my carry gun and a .22. I bring a thin little board with me that I staple the targets onto, it stands up nicely on the dirt berm. It is a great little lane, just shy of 100 yards long (according to me pacing it off). You can go back farther but I don't like being that close to the road.

I did just finish my AR though, so hopefully I can shoot that this weekend. 5.56 was included in the study you posted, so I'll be sure to read that after work.

image.jpeg

That is a really interesting study! Thank you for sharing. I was noticing that my shooting lane has become more and more overgrown through the summer, maybe I'll bring a weed wacker up there with me next time and clear it out a bit. The last few times I have gone up it was raining though.

But, it is usually just me shooting by myself with my carry gun and a .22. I bring a thin little board with me that I staple the targets onto, it stands up nicely on the dirt berm. It is a great little lane, just shy of 100 yards long (according to me pacing it off). You can go back farther but I don't like being that close to the road.

I did just finish my AR though, so hopefully I can shoot that this weekend. 5.56 was included in the study you posted, so I'll be sure to read that after work.

View attachment 305877

I think it is up too the descretion of the forest ranger but in WA that would be a very questionable backstop depending on what's beyond it.

No offense and I'm sure your safe but generally they want a larger backstop up here - like the side of a large hill.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top