JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will start off by saying that I am a HUGE advocate of teaching kids about the use of firearms instead of sheltering them from them. I start all of my kids training at an early age (around 4 years old) to use firearms. I start them with pellet guns and move them up as I think they are capable/willing. It has worked out very well for me! My 13 year old son is safer with firearms than many adults that I know. I have also seen this practice going from a main stream practice that many families did when I was a kid to a practice that "only irresponsible people would do".

There are a few benefits to this:
1. The more they know, the less I have to worry.
2. If we came to a SHTF situation, my whole family could help with meat gathering/protection.
3. It gives my whole family a hobby to do together.
4. If my kids friends see my child being responsible and enjoying the hobby, it may change their minds and make more gun friendly people in the world.

Since this seems to be a "firearms friendly forum", LOL, is there anyone on here that disagrees with this in this day and age?

I think firearms safety training should begin in kidergarten. Parents should be required to attend at least part of this training.

2X, I mentioned that to another couple, they said, "but we are not going to have guns." I responded, "how about their friends?"

I started with my kids when they were very young. I never worried about them, it was their friends that I worried about.

It's a good idea. Many households have guns and not all always have them locked up. Many of the situations that have resulted in children unintentionally shooting other children could have been avoided with a bit of safety training.

I think not providing that information is irresponsible. Would people say warning children not to accept a ride from a stranger is something "only irresponsible people would do"?

I completely agree with teaching children young. We had unlocked guns around when I grew up and it just wasn't an issue or anything special.

I think it's unfortunate that there is no education in schools - other than fear - about firearms and firearm safety.

Heard they don't let cub/boy scouts shoot .22's anymore and that was nearly painful for me. My favorite parts were earning the bow and shooting patches!

My nephews are great shots, and are excellent about being safety oriented.

My dad taught me young that a gun is a tool, not some horrifying death machine as seen in movies. Exactly the same as other tools, like a table saw, they must be respected and understood in order to be safe.

My wife was a little freaked out when I got into guns and started taking my 12 year old son shooting. After I explained that it was a good thing that he understood what a gun could do, yeah, we blew up some melons, and that him learning safe handling of a gun was important, she relented. Now she is fully supportive that he learned how to safely handle a gun and has respect for what they can do.

i watched a guy hand his friends child a 40 cal glock at the range it busted him in the face.the kid was about a 50 lb 9 year old....dumb.....i know a 13 year old kid who was tought all about guns and how to use them and he put a 12 guage in his mouth and painted the bathroom.....sad...i am a complete gun nut and have chose having guns over having kids...

I had a friend drive his car into a telephone pole and kill himself. Should we ban all cars or cut down all telephone poles? You can teach kids to do the right thing but that doesn't mean they will do it. I do believe that education is knowledge and knowledge is power.

When I do dry fire practice and my youngest is awake I call him over and open the chamber/cylinder to show that the weapon is unloaded and explain that I'm going to be practicing by pretending. That way he knows with no doubt that the weapon is empty and I've also seen again for my self that it is. I feel that if he's seen the care I take it may become ingrained that this is the way it should be; safe and open.

As a matter of fact he'll be going out with me this week for his first ever trip with his .22. Would have taken him out last year but his arms were to short for it!

i watched a guy hand his friends child a 40 cal glock at the range it busted him in the face.the kid was about a 50 lb 9 year old....dumb.....i know a 13 year old kid who was tought all about guns and how to use them and he put a 12 guage in his mouth and painted the bathroom.....sad...i am a complete gun nut and have chose having guns over having kids...

People are interesting, they can fool you. There is a thing among some guys, who have got to laugh at the newbie. Does not matter what the sport is, a new skier, take them to a double black diamond run and laugh that they are scared. Or hand a cannon to a new shooter, so they can laugh. My feelings those people need to put their skis and pistols where the sun don't shine, clowning around in those situation is just not appropriate.

As with teaching your kids firearms safety, it also pays to be with them in other things too. I am not saying that would have helped in the case of the 13 year old. Probably a parents worse nightmare.

There is no predicting the future, do your best. Even doing everything right, things can still go bad. Not all kids are the same and they need to be seen as unique and dealt with in a personal manner. Not everyone should have dangerous toys, chain saws, power saws, firearms, etc. If one of my kids was a special needs kid or just doesn't get it. I would either get rid of my power tools, guns, etc or lock everything up very tight. Risky hobbies needs to be constantly respected.

My best friend has a 12 yo step-son. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. We took him out shooting with us a few times. Explaining gun safety and having him load each round individually (don't want un-aimed rounds going off if he can't handle the recoil). Unfortunately, no matter how many times he was told, he couldn't grasp the concept of "keep your finger off the trigger" ...and then he had to tell all his friends at school. I told him when he shows responsibility at home and at school he can come with us again. Till then, he's limited to nerf and airsoft.

My best friend has a 12 yo step-son. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. We took him out shooting with us a few times. Explaining gun safety and having him load each round individually (don't want un-aimed rounds going off if he can't handle the recoil). Unfortunately, no matter how many times he was told, he couldn't grasp the concept of "keep your finger off the trigger" ...and then he had to tell all his friends at school. I told him when he shows responsibility at home and at school he can come with us again. Till then, he's limited to nerf and airsoft.

I absolutely agree with this! This is why I started mine so young, before they had preconcieved notions on how it is done and my word is law. just my raised voice made them do EXACTLY what i said. But there are some kids that need some time to mature if you can't get them as young as I did.

We had unlocked guns in the house when I was a kid. They were, of course, well hidden. And also of course, I found them and I would take them out and shoot them!

Needless to say mine are all locked up.

We had unlocked guns in the house when I was a kid. They were, of course, well hidden. And also of course, I found them and I would take them out and shoot them!

Needless to say mine are all locked up.

Lock your guns up if there are children around. Don't just hide 'em. You're kids have better hide-n-seek skills than you.
I remember finding my mother's hi power just on accident when I was really young. I wasn't really a nosey child, but I was smart enough to leave the pistol alone. Thanks for teaching me, dad.

Teach firearms safety to kids early. I believe it works.

I started my daughter off with the Eddie Eagle idea when she could walk. I constantly reinforce it with her. I have even tested her by leaving an empty hand gun (with a trigger lock) on the couch. When she got home she ran to me to tell me in a stern voice "Dad, you left your gun on the couch, go put it away!" Test them to make sure what you are telling them is getting though! If they pick it up and start playing with it, try a different type of training. I took her on a tour of the gun safe to know what other kinds of hand guns look like, stainless, blued, black, or two tone.

Our son has been around our guns for the last couple of years, right around when he was three. We sat him down and explained what guns could do to someone. He took it to heart, which was a lil suprising since he was so young. I tested him by leaving the wifes 30.06 in the front room and watched out of sight and watched to see what he would do. It took him a few times flying by before he noticed it, once he noticed it he made a bee line around it and wouldnt go near it. He still won't touch guns, he told us that when hes a lil older he will shoot a gun. He loves his bb gun, he also loves to go out and go "hunting" ie get his safety orange on and walk around greenways and EE Wilson. Also he is a fan of picking up brass, dunno why but he has a lil boxes of .22 brass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top