JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd heard of this place, but it's way on the wrong side of town for me to "swing by" and see.
Recently I was part of a private sale transfer there. What a neat, true gunshop. I'll be back.

A biography of an old friend

Johnny and I started competing in IPSC about the same time back in the early 80's. We soon discovered that we both had an interest in customizing 1911's . So we started doing so for others out of Johnny's garage. Johnny was always a stickler for precision fit of parts and checkering. He was always a perfectionist

We shot practical rifle, shot gun matches around the state together, and Johnny was always looking to improve his toys accuracy and reliability

We competed in the first paint ball competition together, before paint ball guns were designed. Think Nell spot for marking cattle and trees. Johnny had to make a gilly suit.

We belonged to a club mostly made up of OR. L.E agencies and shot at the old SE Oak and third Portland precinct basement range. Johnny could always come up with some interesting real life scenarios courses of fire.

We shot with some spec. guys from Fort Lewis at that range and one of them had acreage that we'd set up jungle lane or picnicking with the family courses of fire. Johnny could always come up with booby traps along he trail.

I could go on but you get the idea

When I moved out of the area we dissolved the business ( Pale Horseman Inc) And lost track of John except to hear that he was one of the top cowboy shooters. I'm not surprised. He never could do things half way.

I see Johnny once in a while at the local Fred Meyers. He told me he's semi retired and his daughter is running the business

I shot quite a few cowboy matches with 'Johnny Colt' in my early cowboy shoot days, at Tri County range. he was very good, and with those long legs if you was timing him, you had to move !! lol
..His lady friend at the time, kitty colt, was quite good also. They ran the TCGC cowboy venue then,that was in the mid 90's as I recall.
Business and other hobbies kept him from shooting again after the TCGC cowboy thing imploded due to internal squabbles.

Once shot state cowboy match on Johnny Colt posse. 2 day match. Was comfortable being "only 2 seconds a shot" slower. After 12 stages understood why I was bottom half & he was top 5.

When we shot pistol and rifle matches, I always wondered how slow he moved. But when the times were shown it showed a different story
He did mention recently that his new hobby is building custom furniture to compete with.

Always the competitor

He said he still goes to the store to help out

Last Edited:
Is it the same Pale Horseman company that sold these? I was wondering where they came from and I googled pale horseman and found nothing at all except one mention of it in this thread. If it is, when did you guys close down and why?
6D8ECD96-7F57-4A7C-8D30-242E1BDCBCA3.jpeg C10A1494-C5F7-4B31-8280-96D16F8FF062.jpeg

A biography of an old friend

Johnny and I started competing in IPSC about the same time back in the early 80's. We soon discovered that we both had an interest in customizing 1911's . So we started doing so for others out of Johnny's garage. Johnny was always a stickler for precision fit of parts and checkering. He was always a perfectionist

We shot practical rifle, shot gun matches around the state together, and Johnny was always looking to improve his toys accuracy and reliability

We competed in the first paint ball competition together, before paint ball guns were designed. Think Nell spot for marking cattle and trees. Johnny had to make a gilly suit.

We belonged to a club mostly made up of OR. L.E agencies and shot at the old SE Oak and third Portland precinct basement range. Johnny could always come up with some interesting real life scenarios courses of fire.

We shot with some spec. guys from Fort Lewis at that range and one of them had acreage that we'd set up jungle lane or picnicking with the family courses of fire. Johnny could always come up with booby traps along he trail.

I could go on but you get the idea

When I moved out of the area we dissolved the business ( Pale Horseman Inc) And lost track of John except to hear that he was one of the top cowboy shooters. I'm not surprised. He never could do things half way.

I see Johnny once in a while at the local Fred Meyers. He told me he's semi retired and his daughter is running the business
That last post I meant to reply to this with but didn't click it right

Yes it was. Pale Horseman Corp. started as some people wantring to make cans. Johnny and I took over and went into pistolsmithing. When I moved out of the area Johnny kept the Corp.and then moved on.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top