JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I let a member here talk me into shipping to Washington.

His dealer of choice states I can not ship them the handgun, it must go from an FFL in OR to them.

Am I missing something here?

I thought it was legal for an individual to ship to a FFL for private sales?

Anyone can clarify?

@Sporting Systems can you clarify?

Turns out it might be some sort of tax thing. They need something from another FFL to charge the buyer the state mandated tax thing.

Weird.

Just goes to show why I hate shipping guns.

And yes I have heard of some FFL's only accepting firearm transfers from other FFL's. I think it's at their discretion but whatever.

I think it's a "feel good" placebo thing. I've been told it before. Kinda like how a certain FFL in Tigard says they are "required" to hold your hand to take your thumb prints, or how another FFL says you MUST have a CHL for them to sell you a handgun.

It's all BS, but if you want to play in their yard you gotta follow their "rules". :rolleyes:

One of many reasons why I became FFL licensed was to provide inexpensive, no hassle/no BS transfers in this podunk town. It is sad that is a viable business model and yet here we are.

I recently did not do business with an FFL/SOT because the moron wasn't aware that a standard FFL can most certainly receive a machine-gun, albeit tax paid. I went with one of his competitors who could pull off basic reading comprehension; it is, after all, written right on the g'damn license. The idiot lost out on thousands of dollars of business and I had to pay a slightly higher rate with the other firm. "Win-win." :rolleyes:

FFL can receive from private party. No taxes on that transfer, from private party to private party. I often tell customers to ship it themselves...saves the time, cost and hassle of paying us extra. Id rather save you money today, so you have more to spend with me tomorrow :)

If the item has to be returned to the shipper, that can be more complicated. Can't ship a semi auto rifle to a non resident, technically, not even one sent to me for repair. Working on this federal court.

His dealer of choice states I can not ship them the handgun, it must go from an FFL in OR to them.

Anyone can clarify?

The simple answer is tell the person he has to pay the extra, or pick a different FFL. Why Some FFL holders make up their own rules is a to each his own thing. This mess in WA with buying a hand gun now is a fine example. If I go to buy a handgun the FFL can wait the 10 Bus. days and if the CLEO does not say no, they can let me have the gun. Now some claim they will, many say flat out no. It is their place so they can set any rules they wish. Tell your buyer if he really wants to use that FFL he will have to pay a little extra for it.

Last month I ran into this exact same problem. I had Velzey ship a pistol to New Mexico and it was way cheaper for him to use USPS's 2 day delivery then for me to ship Fed Ex next day air.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It will get to the buyer, just not as easy I guess. Lol.

Next time I'll just stick to my usual stuff and not ship like I say I don't want to...

Anyone can clarify?

You left out the most important, it's a pistol, that makes the difference

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR