JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am shipping a pistol back to Taurus for repair. Is a regular carrier ok for this. Or should I go to the ffl I purchased from. And yes I know its my fault for buying a taurus. I live in Oregon if that matters. Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

It's easy!

Taurus should send you a FedEx/UPS shipping label along with a copy of their FFL

I print out two copies of the FFL, one to put in the box (not necessary) and one to show the person at FedEx/UPS (required).

Package up the pistol like you would pack up anything else, no ammo! (check and check again). Put one copy of the FFL and your RMA in the box. Tape it up. Put on shipping label. Take to FedEx/UPS with a copy of the FFL to show. Get receipt and go home

Edit: When they ship back to you, they will ship to your FFL, and hopefully cover your transfer costs (Galloway Precision did that for me)

Last Edited:
I've shipped two guns for repair, one to Beretta, one to Aero Precision, didn't need an FFL either time. They give you the shipping label, you box it up, stick the label on, drop it off at UPS (Beretta even had UPS pick it up at my door). They ship it straight back to your door when it's fixed. No middle man.

Maybe Taurus does it differently, but they aren't required to.

You don't have to go to a FFL to ship a firearm for repair or service.
The FFL performing the service can ship it directly back to your home.

USPS= Pistol's only TO a FFL. Rifles and shotguns OK to non FFL's. --- ( Title 2's ok to ship)
UPS= Say's no pistiol's but they do ship them to non FFL's --- ( Title 2's ok to ship)
FedEx= Pistols,Rifles and shotgun's ok to non FFL's --- ( Title 2's ok to ship)

We only use FedEx and USPS.
UPS misplaced 4 x M2HB's for 12 day's that all shipped on the same day.:(

I've done it twice. Once to Glock, and I used an FFL because it got me a reduced shipping rate - Glock did not send me a shipping label. Because it went out from an FFL, it shipped back to my FFL, not to me. The FFL was doing me a favor with the shipping, so no costs above shipping were involved, but it's probably easier to just ship yourself. The other was to NAA, they sent me a FedEx label and I shipped through them, NAA shipped directly back to me.

Be aware that shipping guns via FedEx or UPS will require you to go to a 'hub' location. Places like FedEx/Kinkos and the UPS Store are supposedly not supposed to take guns for shipment. For me, that makes them less attractive to use. So, for long guns, I stick with the USPS.

BTW, on another note for shipping, if you ever sell to someone out of state, you can ship directly to their FFL, no need to go through a local FFL. But make sure the buyer checks with their FFL to confirm they will receive a gun from a private party - some will not.

I just shipped a pistol to a gunsmith through usps priority mail. Just include a copy of their FFL in the box and it's fine. The best part about it was that the guy working behind the counter at the post office asked me what kind of gun it was, and we ended up having a short conversation about the merits of Ruger double action revolvers.
If you go the usps route (which you probably won't, as I would assume that Taurus will pay for the shipping) you can also buy insurance for your package so you're covered if it gets lost.

And it was shipped directly back to my po box. Very convenient.

I just shipped a pistol to a gunsmith through usps priority mail. Just include a copy of their FFL in the box and it's fine. The best part about it was that the guy working behind the counter at the post office asked me what kind of gun it was, and we ended up having a short conversation about the merits of Ruger double action revolvers.
If you go the usps route (which you probably won't, as I would assume that Taurus will pay for the shipping) you can also buy insurance for your package so you're covered if it gets lost.

And it was shipped directly back to my po box. Very convenient.
Interesting, this is off the ATF site.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

Last Edited:
Interesting, this is off the ATF site.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

432 Mailability | Postal Explorer
I know, I read that too, before I mailed the firearm. But after talking with a few people (including postal service employees) about it I learned that it is ok as long as you include a copy of the ffl in the box.
the language in the law you quoted definitely makes it seem like it's a no-no, however. Maybe it just depends on how gun friendly your local postmen are.
What made me the most nervous though, was walking into the "gun free zone" of the post office with a (unloaded) pistol in a box, and declaring to the guy behind the counter that I was doing so.
As far as I know, it's illegal to carry in the post office, and I feel like walking in there with a gun you are mailing could get you into serious trouble if the wrong person decided to throw a hissy fit about it.
The gunsmith wanted me to send it via usps, so that's the route I went.

you are mistaking "transporting" with "carrying"
When you go to PO the firearm is boxed sealed with tape ready to ship. No longer easily accessible that is transporting for shipment and totally legal with the post office rules. If anyone gives you trouble summon the postmaster to resolve the issue.

Taurus just charged me $50 for a FedEx label. I checked and I could have shipped it for $29 on my FedEx account. Not a big deal, but best to check first. That $21 could have bought some ammo.

Beaware that shipping guns via FedEx or UPS will require you to go to a 'hub' location. Places like FedEx/Kinkos and the UPS Store are supposedly not supposed to take guns for shipment. For me, that makes them less attractive to use. So, for long guns, I stick with the USPS.

They're not supposed to, but they've never asked me what's in the box either. Just sayin'.:cool:

I went trough the dealer T J guns sales in McMinnville. Paid for the shipping when it came back. Zero hassle, great service. Definitely do recommend this shop. Good folks to deal with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top