Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping a handgun - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Ben Beckerich, May 2, 2012.

1. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Howdy

My local mailbox store quoted me at like $90 and over $100 to ship it via UPS and FedEx. My local FFL (only one in Saint Helens that I know of) continually insists that I can ship a handgun via USPS and therefore won't take my money to do something I can do myself, and I'm tired of arguing with him about it.

Who will do it for cheap? Please tell me who you've used, and how much it ran you.. hopefully someplace in WashCo or NoPo- It's $30 in gas to get out to, say, SE Portland for me

Thanks

-Ben

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Everett, WA Active Member

Ask your local FFL to ship it FOR you via USPS. It should go via Flat Rate Priority mail. Offer him $20 over the cost of postage. Should be less than $35 total, including insurance.

3. Ben Beckerich

Tried it. He's a stubborn guy.

4. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

5. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Cheap is not going to be an option of which I am aware. You can only use a common carrier (i.e. FedEx, UPS) to ship a handgun (if you are doing it yourself, but only to an FFL or the manufacturer for repairs). From what I understand, FFL's can send it via USPS (as well as the common carriers) to another FFL, if I read the regulations about that correctly (was researching when needing to send my shotgun back East to Savage Arms for repair). I don't know about UPS but FedEx would appear to only allow handguns to be shipped from their World Centers and Kinkos/FedEx centers can not accept them. I just had to send my wife's S&W Sigma SW9F off for repair to S&W so I know about that part.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

And UPS can only ship from their Customer Service Center at the distribution site, not at the UPS stores.
    USPS is cheaper than the others.
    Have the FFL ship it for you and if he is a registered USPS shipping account he can have it picked up at his shop.

7. Ben Beckerich

To clarify- I'm looking for an FFL who'll ship it for me.

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

OP has twice said his local FFL won't ship it for him.

9. accessbob

10. Ben Beckerich

I never knew such a list existed- that's very helpful

It doesn't give the last digit for any of their phone numbers.... what's up with that? 1 in 10 guess

11. accessbob

Sorry, I didn't notice that when I found it. You might try this one instead:

Oregon - FFL dealers & shops - FFL gun dealers directory

12. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

When I sent my Sig back to Sig for repairs they sent me a FedX shipping tag, I just dropped the pistol's plastic box into a slim FedX shipping box and dropped it off at the local FedX store. When it was done I picked it up at the same FedX store.

13. Ben Beckerich

That's because they're a large corporation with a FedEx account. My private buyer in BFE does not, and cannot send me a magic shipping label.

14. jrprich

I am not a large corp but I have a FedEX account. I don't think it is the FedEX account that made any difference. FedEX knew this was a gun and they just weighed it and shipped it.

15. Ben Beckerich

Then what's your point?

Do you think we're questioning whether or not FedEx will take guns? Read the OP.

16. accessbob

Did you notifiy them that it was a firearm?
    According to the instructions I received from Smith and Wesson, I could either take to a Coporate World Center or call for a pickup. FedEx/Kinko's locations were said to NOT be acceptible.

17. jrprich

Yes I did