JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got you beat. Combine some cheap 2nds 115 gr JHP bullets that have a sharp edge on the base (slightly over size) and a Dillon 550 set to minimal flare of the case mouth to ensure no setback and what do you get? A chance to recycle seated primers and trashed brass! Note to self: forget the bargain seconds offered by American reloading and just pay Jake at RMR his more than fair prices for quality bullets.

View attachment 1834445
You might be able to salvage the primers, need to do it carefully and wear eye protections.

Had to go out and purchase a collet bullet puller to pull around 250 223 I had loaded with Remington 6 1/2 primers. Went out and shot some and got 2 pierced primers. Upon further research I found out that they are designed with lower pressures in mind like those found in 218bee. I am using some primers from probably the late 80s early 90s. The newer packaging has a warning about using them in higher pressure loads. The older box did not. Something to look out for if you're new to loading your own.

Had to go out and purchase a collet bullet puller to pull around 250 223 I had loaded with Remington 6 1/2 primers. Went out and shot some and got 2 pierced primers. Upon further research I found out that they are designed with lower pressures in mind like those found in 218bee. I am using some primers from probably the late 80s early 90s. The newer packaging has a warning about using them in higher pressure loads. The older box did not. Something to look out for if you're new to loading your own.
Yes. Their 1 1/2 primers are for lower pressures in handgun as well. 5 1/2 for 9mm and above.

Yep. Saw that too. 40 rounds fired to get the 2 pierced primers. Had them below max charge. They were just some plinking rounds I was putting together. Ran out of the CCI I had been using, same vintage, so I grabbed these to finish up what I had prepped. Decided I would test them for science sake, since using a different primer. I wasn't expecting any results really, thought for the most part they were all the same, just small rifle primers.

Yep. Saw that too. 40 rounds fired to get the 2 pierced primers. Had them below max charge. They were just some plinking rounds I was putting together. Ran out of the CCI I had been using, same vintage, so I grabbed these to finish up what I had prepped. Decided I would test them for science sake, since using a different primer. I wasn't expecting any results really, thought for the most part they were all the same, just small rifle primers.
Sorry you had to pull so many, that sucks

Yeah, had heard that about the Remington 6 1/2 primers. Have used thousands of CCI-400's without issues loading .223 Rem levels. Have noticed they flatten quicker than the BR-4 or 450's when working up to warmer loads, probably best to use the No. 41's or Fed AR Match or Rem 7 1/2 if desiring 5.56 NATO level loads. I still like the CCI-400's for plinking loads in .223.
I wonder if the 6 1/2's could hold up in .357 Magnum loads?

Yeah, had heard that about the Remington 6 1/2 primers. Have used thousands of CCI-400's without issues loading .223 Rem levels. Have noticed they flatten quicker than the BR-4 or 450's when working up to warmer loads, probably best to use the No. 41's or Fed AR Match or Rem 7 1/2 if desiring 5.56 NATO level loads. I still like the CCI-400's for plinking loads in .223.
I wonder if the 6 1/2's could hold up in .357 Magnum loads?
They might? I know the 5 1/2 do. Apparently the 5 1/2 is a magnum spp without really saying so. I've possibly been seen using srp in my magnums.

Sorry you had to pull so many, that sucks
You know it really wasn't that bad with the collet puller. I have a hammer puller, that seemed like it was gonna be a lot of work. All were crimped too. It was money well spent on the collet die. It made quick work of them. Now I'm in the process of reloading them. Have all the primers pulled, most have a new 7 1/2 SRP back in. Just need to finish up the last few. Then on to powder…..again.

You know it really wasn't that bad with the collet puller. I have a hammer puller, that seemed like it was gonna be a lot of work. All were crimped too. It was money well spent on the collet die. It made quick work of them. Now I'm in the process of reloading them. Have all the primers pulled, most have a new 7 1/2 SRP back in. Just need to finish up the last few. Then on to powder…..again.
Beats a pair of pliers😆.

Beats a pair of pliers😆.
Hey, I used a pair of pliers on my Rockchucker with the plastic cap off an old cardboard Unique powder container to protect the threads on the press. It worked perfectly, except for the marks on the bullet. Lowering the ram made the pliers grip the bullet even tighter than my hand. (I do have the collet puller now so the bullets can be re-used.)

Hey, I used a pair of pliers on my Rockchucker with the plastic cap off an old cardboard Unique powder container to protect the threads on the press. It worked perfectly, except for the marks on the bullet. Lowering the ram made the pliers grip the bullet even tighter than my hand. (I do have the collet puller now so the bullets can be re-used.)
Haha yes. I used an old cotton sock once over the breach lock :p

This is what I use to remove bullets while leaving the bullets reusable. Comes in a variety of calibers. When you get good, it is very fast.

1709348139060.png

Well, I had the first problem on the new to me Hornady LNL AP today I was loading some 357 rounds, I was actually priming on the press which I have not wanted to do but figured I'd venture out on this run.
I was close to the end of the run when I was pushing in to prime the case, I felt resistance and pushed on and heard a very loud snap!!! I did deform the primer, but it did not explode it thank goodness I would not have wanted to use bleach to clean my clean room.
Upon inspection, I found that I broke the tip off of the sliding primer loader thingy. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: WTHHHHHH!!!!!

I guess I am going to find out how good Hornadys warranty is on Monday.

IMG_3011.jpeg IMG_3012.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads