Share your hand loading mistakes!

I am not doubting you, but really? Why? I hate the residue from primers I have decapped. I am curious as to the rationale. I guess they can’t plug the primer hole. I am ashamed to admit I don’t know what the metal is but has to be harder than the brass?
As weird as it sounds yes I have seen this posted online before. On one hand it almost makes sense, as the premise is rubbing stuff together to polish it, and what reloader doesn’t have a near infinite supply of spent primers on hand?

however it is foolish, as has been experienced by @awshoot. I don’t know if maybe they were smashing them? But not something I will ever attempt as we now have first hand experience that it not only doesn’t work but also defeats any savings.

awshoot

Reactions
Here are two cases, top and profile. Most of the primers went back in the right way rather than upside down. I would have thought the rounded corner on the top side would have made it easier for them to go in upside down, but nope -- only two or three out of the 20ish are in upside down. And while it seems like they could be pulled out, I can't. Not even with tweezers. wetTumbledPrimerIssue.png

Mikej

Reactions
Here are two cases, top and profile. Most of the primers went back in the right way rather than upside down. I would have thought the rounded corner on the top side would have made it easier for them to go in upside down, but nope -- only two or three out of the 20ish are in upside down. And while it seems like they could be pulled out, I can't. Not even with tweezers. View attachment 752185
First of all, that's crazy. :eek: And...
You tumble after sizing/decapping?

Reactions
I'm the same way. I do use a Dillon progressive press, but I size and decap on my old Rock Chucker with the case-kicker. It goes really fast; I can go through a thousand in not too much time. I then tumble them nice and clean, inside and out.

After that I prime them with a hand primer. This is easy while sitting and doing something like watching TV. I found that the majority of problems I had with a progressive press was the priming mechanism. I realize that the way I do it is slower and defeats some of the speed and functionality of the progressive press, but it gives me better quality control and eliminates most defects. It also makes it so much faster and easier when I do get to the progressive part.

RVTECH

Reactions
As for wet, I can say for certain that spent small pistol primers will work their way into a small primer pocket -- not all the way but far enough that I can't pick them out with my fingers.
I have previously mentioned using spent primers for wet tumbling but only on brass as my 'pre-cleaning' after shooting or range pickup with the spent primers still intact.

For this it works excellently and I don't have to worry about losing pins for just a quick pre clean procedure.

awshoot

Reactions
I have previously mentioned using spent primers for wet tumbling but only on brass as my 'pre-cleaning' after shooting or range pickup with the spent primers still intact.

For this it works excellently and I don't have to worry about losing pins for just a quick pre clean procedure.
That makes sense -- the pockets still have a spent primer in them, so nothing can get jammed.

RVTECH

Reactions
the pockets still have a spent primer in them, so nothing can get jammed.
I once experimented with DEPRIMED brass & primers as media and a few got stuck but it was pretty inconsequential and the few that did get stuck either fell out on rinse or during a 'shake' in the colander to separate them.

They of course do not clean the primer pockets so no practicality anyway using them on deprimed brass but as a pre clean media they work great!

Reactions
That is my story as well, worn out two presses, made every mistake. I make sure that the light on the frame illuminates the cases. I weigh the finished cases and do keerplunk test into a barrel or case gauge. Look at the case before depriming. I still hate the Dillon priming system but haven’t eliminated that step with a hand tool. Maybe the next time I have to take apart 30 or so I may.

Wombat of Doom

Reactions
Put a hole through my thumbnail (which is currently held together with superglue) when I tripped and got my thumb caught in the decapping pin in the press. Ruined a few cases over time but have never had an issue with the powder. I recently found 11 .308s I loaded in middle school. Tore one apart out of curiosity to see if it would pass muster, and it did. powder charge was correct for the bullet weight. Put it right back together.

Reactions
Years ago managed to reload two .357 Magnum rounds with no powder - both instances resulted in the bullet getting stuck 2/3 of the way down the barrel. Another time somehow managed to think I was reloading 200g bullets instead of 180g and couldn't understand why they wouldn't cycle the gun - doh !

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom