JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't post a ton on here, for various reasons, and even more rarely on anything I don't feel is directly productive/helpful to someone else, but I've been thinking on this topic for a while. I was reading a couple threads on here today and thought I would just put it out here. How many low maintenance members are here who consider themselves introverts, loners, or maybe just quiet? If you know about or are a believer in the Myers-Briggs types (of which I take issue), I test as an extrovert, except it's categorized that I only want to talk an extremely small handful of people.

Here's my question. Having moved here a little over 4 years ago and having found no community to speak of, what do my other quieters do? There seems to be a collection of decent people on here and even a few that, every time I read a post from them I think, "UserX seem really interesting. I'd like to grab a drink with them and get to know them a bit". I guess another part of it is that this is the first time I've ever lived in a liberal city, so the odds of knowing people that aren't hostile towards my views feels very rare. I'm now up to 3 people on here that I'd like to meet. I'm pretty sure the rest of you are FBI plants.

If you know about or are a believer in the Myers-Briggs types (of which I take issue), I test as an extrovert, except it's categorized that I only want to talk an extremely small handful of people.
I think it's interesting that you referred to the Myers-Briggs personality types. Where were you exposed to the M-B, what was the extent of your involvement, and what is your full 4-letter type, if you don't mind sharing?

The reason I ask is that I had to teach the Myer-Briggs in the organizational development realm in a previous life (It's been about 25 years now). I haven't thought about it much since then. One thing that it's important to keep in mind is that in the Myers-Briggs sense, introversion and extroversion have nothing to do with shyness or outgoingness. It's more about whether you find interaction with others energizing or tiring. You may only like talking to a small number of people, but if you find that activity energizing, then you are an extrovert. On the other hand, you may love public speaking, but if it wears you down you are an introvert in the M-B definition of the term.

Also, M-B is an assessment of preferences, not abilities. That sometimes escapes folks. Most people have the ability to behave the opposite of their M-B type with greater or lesser degrees of effort. Anyway, I don't think Myers-Briggs personality typing has much application to life outside of the team building realm.

I test out as an ISTJ, btw, and I think that's a pretty good description as far as it goes, but the idea that you can place the entire human population into one of 16 categories is a bit absurd IYAM.

Meet others by going to the public lands cleanups.

There was one just recently to clean up Yacolt Burn State forest. You get to do good for the sport and meet like minded individuals.

Check it out:

Trashnoland.org

I don't post a ton on here, for various reasons, and even more rarely on anything I don't feel is directly productive/helpful to someone else, but I've been thinking on this topic for a while. I was reading a couple threads on here today and thought I would just put it out here. How many low maintenance members are here who consider themselves introverts, loners, or maybe just quiet? If you know about or are a believer in the Myers-Briggs types (of which I take issue), I test as an extrovert, except it's categorized that I only want to talk an extremely small handful of people.

Here's my question. Having moved here a little over 4 years ago and having found no community to speak of, what do my other quieters do? There seems to be a collection of decent people on here and even a few that, every time I read a post from them I think, "UserX seem really interesting. I'd like to grab a drink with them and get to know them a bit". I guess another part of it is that this is the first time I've ever lived in a liberal city, so the odds of knowing people that aren't hostile towards my views feels very rare. I'm now up to 3 people on here that I'd like to meet. I'm pretty sure the rest of you are FBI plants.
I am a serious introvert and I don't need M&B to tell me so. My main motivation for keeping a crappy paying job is because I get to work alone. It's a one man shift and I like it that way. Forums will provide all the socializing a person needs. Heck I am trying to cut back on the forums because it's taking up to too much of my time. Want to have a drink with somebody, here you go https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/what-are-you-drinking-tonight.254489/page-162#post-3166181

It sounds like you want to come out of your shell. I advise you to stay in there because after you step out of it, some giant with a plastic shovel and bucket is going to snatch it up.

P.S. Swipe left on socializing. Your productivity will appreciate it.

Last Edited:

So what are you looking for?

That's not to be snarky or sarcastic by any means.

Ah, introverts.
images-25.jpeg

If you know about or are a believer in the Myers-Briggs types (of which I take issue), I test as an extrovert, except it's categorized that I only want to talk an extremely small handful of people.
What do you take issue with?

I am a serious introvert and I don't need M&B to tell me so.
I'm going to guess ISTP.

-Robert

I think it's interesting that you referred to the Myers-Briggs personality types. Where were you exposed to the M-B, what was the extent of your involvement, and what is your full 4-letter type, if you don't mind sharing?

The reason I ask is that I had to teach the Myer-Briggs in the organizational development realm in a previous life (It's been about 25 years now). I haven't thought about it much since then. One thing that it's important to keep in mind is that in the Myers-Briggs sense, introversion and extroversion have nothing to do with shyness or outgoingness. It's more about whether you find interaction with others energizing or tiring. You may only like talking to a small number of people, but if you find that activity energizing, then you are an extrovert. On the other hand, you may love public speaking, but if it wears you down you are an introvert in the M-B definition of the term.

Also, M-B is an assessment of preferences, not abilities. That sometimes escapes folks. Most people have the ability to behave the opposite of their M-B type with greater or lesser degrees of effort. Anyway, I don't think Myers-Briggs personality typing has much application to life outside of the team building realm.

I test out as an ISTJ, btw, and I think that's a pretty good description as far as it goes, but the idea that you can place the entire human population into one of 16 categories is a bit absurd IYAM.
You sound like a Sagittarius.

:D

j/k, I know nothing about astrology, just couldn't resist. :s0087:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR