JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently our eldest had his locker broken into and his backpack taken. No biggie beyond the theft, correct? Wrong. Had his house key on it. Being that he is a kid it is no secret that we have guns at our house and he has fun showing his friends my youtube page of shootin' fun.

I'm peeved at him for losing the pack, of course, but it didn't occur to him that there was now a key giving access to our guns possibly floating around in one of his classmate's pockets. Not only are they of a calibre that they'd steal another kid's pack, but perhaps they're intelligent enough to add 2+2 so that it equals 'key opens door to house with guns I can steal'. The possibility didn't even cross his mind.

It's a hassle because we're currently renting and getting the handles replaced would be a chore(all 6 are keyed the same). I work from home so a break-in when no one is here is actually an impossibility due to our schedules.

Kids. Ugh.

Too bad to hear about the theft. Do you think that they targeted your kid's pack, knowing that the keys would be on it? Or do you think it is random?

Also, this raises a good point, that we should teach our kids about the liability involved with owning guns. We should all have a gun safe. Even a $80 Bimart special safe, would add a level of protection. Teach your kids to keep their mouth's shut about what kind of arsenal daddy has. Kids talk and spread the word, and next thing you know some kid's dirtbag, gangster, brother is breaking in to steal your guns. Guns are tools. Nothing to brag about, or show off, to other kids. Putting up your shooting vids, and letting your kid show them to his friends, could be the whole reason behind the theft...???

Best of luck with all that!

A lot of landlords don't allow you to change locks, rekeying locks, or even add a lock to a bedroom door without writen permission....

Also, the landlord would likely want to have a copy of the new key depending on policies.

However, that you are renting. Have them do it. They shouldn't charge much if at all and you don't have to do a thing.

Also, the landlord would likely want to have a copy of the new key depending on policies.

However, that you are renting. Have them do it. They shouldn't charge much if at all and you don't have to do a thing.

I have changed locks for residents with other sets from units that have "vacated" no charge. Also are the locks Mastered?

An unfortunate situation. However, you kid was being responsible by making sure that the backpack was in his locker. I don't see that it is any more his fault than the schools fault for having weak lockers. I would say re-key if possible, if not just make sure that the firearms are secure inside the house... Most likely they are since you have kid(s). This is probably an isolated event and kids being kids and bullies stealing just to get a rise out of your kid. (lets hope). Best of luck with the situation!

As innocent the youtube page of shootin' fun is, it voilates OPSEC. I think it is great to be able to make and share video's of personal hobbies and memories of fun activities to share with your family. Unfortunately, when the video is viewed by "others who want your stuff" it becomes an advertisement.
I have made OPSEC mistakes and I try to learn from my mistakes and from the mistakes of others. You can take a chance that the backpack thief won't do anything with the newfound key or change the locks, that is your choice. Chances are that the contents of the backpack will just be discarded after being thoroughly gone through. However, I would like to offer my advice that you reconsider what you post on youtube when it comes to your personal valuables. The less you share with the general public regarding your possessions, the less your chances are that you become a victim of theft.
I am sorry to hear about the theft of your son's backpack. I hope that a student witness comes forward and that the thief is caught and punished for their actions.

I feel your pain. Sometimes it feels like we fathers exists only to clean up after our kids. Only the nature of their messes change as they grow up. Both my kids lost their house key several times. I deducted the replacement cost off their allowances. That helped curb the problem.

I'd change the keylocks, and put this one behind you ASAP. I am the resentful type and have struggled in this area. I hope it does not mess up your relationship with you kid. In the bigger scheme of things, this is a pretty minor issue.

While I grew up on the dry side of the state and we all kept guns in the closets, ect. Now that I am in the city and probably even if I was in rural area, I would keep everything in a safe.

Especially having kids around

Too bad to hear about the theft. Do you think that they targeted your kid's pack, knowing that the keys would be on it? Or do you think it is random?

It most likely was random, but he's the odd man out of his class. He's over 6' in 6th grade, not part of any major social clique so it could have been targeted. He's a gentle giant and has been bullied in the past so I can't rule out intentional theft.

As innocent the youtube page of shootin' fun is, it voilates OPSEC. I think it is great to be able to make and share video's of personal hobbies and memories of fun activities to share with your family. Unfortunately, when the video is viewed by "others who want your stuff" it becomes an advertisement.

I benefit from the fact that there is always an adult in the house 24/7 due to our scheduling; wife works nights and I work from home. It's not an iron clad safety blanket but it's not a paper bag either.

Unless your kids backpack has his address in it or the key is stupidly labeled "house key" and has your address on it I would say you are worrying a lot about nothing.

Been a while since you were a kid? I was once followed home by a couple guys in 8th grade whose sole purpose was to beat my arse and loot my house. That was back in the 80s, too. I'm not saying there's a criminal conspiracy in the kid's school or anything and yet it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could be wanting to break in and steal the guns.

Been a while since you were a kid? I was once followed home by a couple guys in 8th grade whose sole purpose was to beat my arse and loot my house. That was back in the 80s, too. I'm not saying there's a criminal conspiracy in the kid's school or anything and yet it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could be wanting to break in and steal the guns.
Let's not turn kids stealing a backpack from a locker into a organized criminal conspiracy. It is a bit silly. Giving something even a hint of credibility just because it isn't impossible is a bit far reaching. It not impossible that aliens stole his backpack. I am not going to be planning for any type of invasion.

Let's not turn kids stealing a backpack from a locker into a organized criminal conspiracy. It is a bit silly. Giving something even a hint of credibility just because it isn't impossible is a bit far reaching. It not impossible that aliens stole his backpack. I am not going to be planning for any type of invasion.

Oh there you go taking all the fun out of it. We were going to sart sandbagging and drawing up defensive plans for landlmine and tripwire placement to battle the impending invasion of teens.

Anything of value was taken from the backpack. Mp3 player, lunch money, watch etc and the rest was thrown into a dumpster. If you are worried, invest in a gun safe which you should have anyways and renters insurance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top