JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am considering another build in 5.56 or a DPMS LR 308b for another SHTF rifle. I have a good carbine but another rifle for the gambler would be a good idea. I like the ballistics and reach out and touch someone capabilities of the .308 but then there's also the ammo issue. A budget Mk 12 clone would get me out to 400 pretty decently.

But then I am also really intrigued with the idea of building a 300. BLK. Or, do I simply sniperise my Model 700 .30-06?
Any input appreciated. :cool:

Brutus out

Or just use your M700 just like it is. In a SHTF battle your enemy isnt gonna know or care if it is sniperized or not. Perfectly ok as is for 400 yds or 2x that if you please. .300 BLK will be largely forgotten in 5 yrs or less except for a few diehards in the tacticool crowd.

The 300BLK isn't oriented towards sniping or precision shooting, it's main selling point is the ability to run either full powered ammo with ballistics close to an AK or subsonic loads that are ideal for suppressed use - out of a standard AR mag. I have a MK12 and it shoots great with 77gr SMK's but a .308 is going to have greater energy and range - along with a weight and price penalty.

300blk and SHTF should never be in the same paragraph

I agree.

Unless you can afford 10,000+ rounds of it at what ever it sells for.

Instead of 300 blackout you could build a 9mm upper and get about the same thing.

I have both, well a .300 Whisper they were out long before the Blackout. Both are fun, but other then the noise they make, they are not even close to the same.

That's why I said, about the same.

Ballistics aside, and as you mentioned the noise. If your looking to build a AR platform rifle for CQB, and on a budget, I would recommend a 9mm build. Simply as ammo is more available and less expensive. I find it funny that lots of folks never consider ammo in preparation for a build or caliber choice. I like to be that angel on the shoulder that reminds folks that they need to think about it when making a decision.

That is of coarse judging my comments on the OPs terms of needing it to be on a budget. If the OP is good with expensive and harder to find ammo than surely I would say go with the 300blk.

Edit:

OP I would accurize, no need to tacticool, your 700 and buy a lot of ammo instead of building a new gun. That's my recommendation. That and get a good piece of glass. Then spend more time behind it.

Back in Reno a few guys shot the 1000 yard silhouette using 30/06. They did just fine compared to those in 308 or 300 win mag. I shot it using a modernized Mosin a few times.

Fear not the guy with 20 guns. Fear the guy with 1 gun and 20 cases of ammo. Especially if he is into his 3-4 case with the gun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top