JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So when I search for scopes on craigslist, I see plenty of them. My understanding is, as long as it's not a "sniper scope" (whatever that is...) it's ok to post a scope on craigslist. Tonight, while trying to post a scope for sale, I kept getting flagged! I mean within 5 minutes of posting the ad! I was getting flagged so fast, my ad wasn't even showing up if I were to search for it. BUT finally, I prevailed! I am selling a Bushnell Bone Collector scope. Apparently the words "bone collector" make my scope very dangerous or something. Kind of like an AR-15 is more dangerous than any other firearm because of the way it looks... Anyhow after adding this special phrase to the very top of my ad, the evil craigslist flaggers left me alone.

"NOT Gun Related. Bird Watching only. Please do NOT flag. May also help archaeologist's find bones. Hence "bone collector" series. "

lol :)

Anyone else getting their "for sale" scope ad's flagged on craigslist? What's the deal? Did craigslist change the rules or are all scope postings banned?

Check this out Flagged 6 times!

CraigslistFlagging_zps6b9d814f.png

I found the best way to avoid the anti-gun Nazi's, is to first place the ad without any true reference to what you are actually selling, i.e. "aluminum tube, with glass optics for sale" but, still giving all the other pertinent information, such as price, area where you are selling from, etc.
Then, I come back a little later if it's still posted and change it to the what I am really selling, along with critical keywords, like "gun, rifle, hunting, outdoors, target, etc".
My belief is that the anti's use their RSS programs on their phones to glean the new ads that pop up and then they hit the flag button on any ads that they have targeted.

Great idea! Craigslist itself just "ghosted" my add. Apparently after so many flag's they just allow the add to stand but they just don't allow it to be found by anyone. But I love that idea and will most definitely do that. Thank you.

Happy to see you found a solution.

A little bit of a thread hijack, but I like to play a game on CL: Look for the guns on sale. The sellers and the buyers both have to be creative. "Things that go boom" or "boys toys" or whatever are common names. It is a lot of fun when you are bored. What methods do you have?

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

What methods do you have?
I've found that not having anything to do with Craigslist works for me!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

[QUOTE="deen_ad, post: 1117754, member: 7033"}

I've found that not having anything to do with Craigslist works for me!

[/QUOTE]

When it comes to firearms or firearm related objects, this is my rule. Having car parts flagged is bad enough. Wasting time there on gun related items is stupid...

I picked up a collection of vintage Winchesters a few years back on CL for $1200.00 cash, and two out of the ten Winchesters paid me back.
All I did was type in "Winchesters" and happened to be the first guy to respond, so there are good deals on there if you get lucky.

I picked up a collection of vintage Winchesters a few years back on CL for $1200.00 cash, and two out of the ten Winchesters paid me back.
All I did was type in "Winchesters" and happened to be the first guy to respond, so there are good deals on there if you get lucky.

The same here. There are a lot of people who just don't know about NWFA or similar sites. Not to be discriminatory, but I have found "older" and "less tech sensitive" owners of firearms who list on CraigsList. The ads get pulled quickly, but if you are fast, you can be the one to get them. Your Winchester example is exactly what I mean. As I said earlier, this is a game for me. It is very fun.

On a contrarian note, I like to post "free humus!" on CL just before a rainstorm.. the stupid tards show up right on time and look skyward gape jawed, much like a turkey, and drown. good time true story

Here's an ad I just found on CL by searching on a certain word, ie. firearms manufacturer:

hole punch lead placement tool target position relocator - asking $700

I was typing "Winchester" initially, but must have added the s on the end. If I hadn't, my initial search would have come up empty.
There is a website called "All of Craigslist" and it searches all the CL ads that you enter in the searce bar.
Very cool site and helps you find items not listed locally.

This is great fun. I have just posted a listing on CL, and tried to obfuscate as much as possible. Let's see how long it will last!?!

I am not as clever as "....hole punch lead placement tool....." That is pretty good.:)

Last Edited:
And yet this post on CraigsList has been up for 20 days, and not flagged. I guess the secret is to say virtually nothing. (Very nice gun, by the way.)

<broken link removed>

Happy to see you found a solution.

A little bit of a thread hijack, but I like to play a game on CL: Look for the guns on sale. The sellers and the buyers both have to be creative. "Things that go boom" or "boys toys" or whatever are common names. It is a lot of fun when you are bored. What methods do you have?

I got tagged on this last night- I wanted to trade my motorcycle with pull behind trailer for $3500 or "things that go "boom" and it wouldn't let me post it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top