JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a patient ask me today how best to sell a firearm collection in Oregon. His son has a terminal disease and has a large collection. The son's wife wants to sell them and none of the family members want to take them. He is going to get me a list so I can tell him if anything is a collector worth holding on to.

I dont know how many he has but they "fill up a safe"

Any suggestions for how they should sell? I dont want them to have to do a ton of individual transfers given what they are dealing with. Put them all on consignment at a gun shop?

With a large collection consignment should be with a shop that gets enough business to move them. Or one that will post them on one of the large internet sales sites.

he could become a preacher over the internet and make it public that hes breaking the law... he'll be alright.

i dont mean to sound i sensitive. i feel bad that someone has a terminal disease. i agree with the above posts. I dont comply with SB941 so that kinda states my opinion

I have friend of the family that is an estate liquidator that holds a FFL. Families regularly come to him to sell gun collections. So he takes care of the background check and the transfer for every gun he sells. I have purchased and done a dozen or so transfers with him. I highly recommend him.

Gunscapes Northwest
Dan Anderson
(503) 704-1605

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to him again and he said that his daughter-in-law was the type that would just bring them all to the police to be destroyed so hopefully I can help him convince her to get these sold which will also help with their expenses

He is going to try and get pictures to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to him again and he said that his daughter-in-law was the type that would just bring them all to the police to be destroyed so hopefully I can help him convince her to get these sold which will also help with their expenses

He is going to try and get pictures to me.
:eek: don't let her destroy them, the others have given great advice on consignment or estate seller routes.

If you can post a few pics and info first here, I am sure a member or two here may "need" a few (see "all") firearms. :) myself included.

Personally, I can say without seeing anything that if she wanted 100-200 per firearm and had in the 20+ firearms neighborhood I would be a buyer just to not see them get torched. (Not trying to say they are only worth that, just as an example having no idea what firearms there are or their values).

Last Edited:
This may seem too obvious for words, but if they go the consignment route go for a high end gun shop who's clientele are used to buying expensive firearms. Assuming that there are some nice guns in that safe! It's nice of you to help out a soon to be grieving family! Good luck to you and them!

Does someone on here have an FFL that would be willing to list and sell them for a fee? If I had my FFL I would do it. Keep it in-house, so to speak.

Bolus, you've got the right approach. "Sell them and make money to help with expenses..." It is a terrible situation, but it would make sense.

I know people who have "sold entire collections" to "gun dealers" and gotten pennies on the dollar. I would suggest DO NOT go that route. BAD IDEA!!!

I went into Buster Beavers shop awhile back and he had a gentleman's collection on consignment for sale, some really really nice guns, had a few tommy guns and such, also incredibly low serial number stuff, anyways, might be worth pointing him that way also.

Does someone on here have an FFL that would be willing to list and sell them for a fee? If I had my FFL I would do it. Keep it in-house, so to speak.

Bolus, you've got the right approach. "Sell them and make money to help with expenses..." It is a terrible situation, but it would make sense.

I know people who have "sold entire collections" to "gun dealers" and gotten pennies on the dollar. I would suggest DO NOT go that route. BAD IDEA!!!

Yeah, definitely would not recommend selling to a dealer. I spoke with J&B firearms as well and they would help them determine values and cosign the collection if they wanted so I have a bunch of good options to give them.

Post a list of firearms on here and get them spoken for, then have them meet at a NWFA supporting vendor who will hopefully gove a break on the fees for doing all the transactions.
He can schedule one day out of his time and get them all sold fire sale style.

I'm sure they members on here will be willing to meet up and help out a fellow firearms enthusiast.

I'll put my name in to commit to buying one. I don't even care what it is.
Not like I need another reason.

May he pass in peace. Sorry to hear about his illness.

I would see if he can sign over power of attorney, and the call the local ATF office to see if a family member or power of attorney can sell the firearms on his behalf.

Tell them if not they will find they way off the boat and into the river!

VELZEY.......YOU STAND OUT BROTHER. WORDS FALL SHORT ANYONE THAT CAN FOG A MIRROR HERE SHOULD AND COULD KNOW THAT. SHOOT.....READ HIS LAST 5 POSTS ....HELPFUL WITH A LIBRARY OF KNOWLEDGE. THANKS FOR BEING HERE AND CONTRIBUTING. KUDOS.....
PS.....BOLUS YOUR A NOT SO DISTANT SECOND
THANKS GUYS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews