JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no problem with a bug out rig at all my concern is if you have to sell current items to get one you should look at it real hard. If the Glock is not needed or wanted then sell it and if the Jeep is what you feel you need over everything else then do it.

I personally do not feel a bug out rig is a high priority for me because of where I live and work but not knowing where he lives or works it is a tough call to tell some one what to do. His car may do just as well and he all ready has that. So extra gas maybe all that is needed to get him to a Bug out Location for now and latter getting the jeep when he saves the money..

JAFO
When the 2001 Nisqually earthquake hit I was working in Renton. It took an hour or two before I could leave work (I parked in a parking garage and civil engineers had to approve allowing us to get our vehicles out of it, deduct point for bad choice of parking). I did live just over a mile from work and could have walked if necessary (add point). When I got to some railroad tracks between work and home there were cars sitting there with the R/R guards down and lights flashing. There was no train. The shifting of the earth set off the warning and people were actually sitting there waiting. Since I had my Jeep I just drove around the cars, up over the tracks, and back onto the road to get home (add point).

If your jeep had been crushed in the car port your only choice would have been to walk and the 4 wheel drive would do you no good. Or in a real bad riot a few rounds in the radiator and engine block from some jerk that wants your rig will shut you down as well.

So yes they are nice to have but they are not the end all be all to survive.

If a meteorite fell from the sky and struck me in the head... well there isn't much preparation I could've done for this highly unlikely scenario.

For any likely scenario a Jeep 4x4 will go more places than a T-bird. If you wait until all passages have been taken over by the zombies then your problem is even worse than vehicle selection. In the LA riots it didn't look like vehicles made any difference or any specific type was being targeted. White folks sure were though. Changing that we'll discuss in a different thread.

It would seem to me that bugging "out" is much harder then bugging "in". I can only imagine what the circumstances could be that I would want to bug out. Assuming the authorities are after you in particular for some legal reason would be the only thing I could think of. If people need to bug out in mass then we are in a position that bugging in is probably better. "stay and fight" situation. Fleeing from a SHTF situation is quitting right off the bat. If your a city dweller then I can understand your reasons because of lack of area to grow food and crime issues with gangs taking over the city but if your in the country and have even a modest amount of defend-able land then bugging in seems much more desireable.

I recall ferfal recommending a 4x4 for after the SHTF. As I recall the economic collapse in Argentina resulted in a lot of lawless behavior and having a 4X4 to get over curbs and rough terrain was a real plus. Then so was a gun important.

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA

Bingo, this is what got me thinking about my current vehicle being inadequate. Plus I'd love to have a vehicle that can handle the numerous fire roads and forest service roads in Oregon for recreational purposes.

Yep, simply being able to take the route less traveled, and traverse un-maintained roads is reason enough for me to be a 4x4 owner. Look up the back country exploration route. You can get from CA to WA and beyond without hardly touching pavement. Although I wouldn't take a stock Cherokee there. Oh and I agree, keep your Glock, save your pennies, sell the thunderchicken, buy what you want.

Yep, simply being able to take the route less traveled, and traverse un-maintained roads is reason enough for me to be a 4x4 owner. Look up the back country exploration route. You can get from CA to WA and beyond without hardly touching pavement. Although I wouldn't take a stock Cherokee there. Oh and I agree, keep your Glock, save your pennies, sell the thunderchicken, buy what you want.

I've done the main route once and another off shoot that goes from John Day to Sister and into the Cascades. First time on the main route was with a grouo of stock Internationals. Oldest was a 56 and newest was a 1980 Scout. Second time was in a brand new Dodge crew cab diesel pickup. My buddy who was with us had been on OBDR 4 times previously, his first time in a stock Cherokee. The trail is rough and will work your truck, so any small problems will be exacerbated. Carry spares, lots of spares.

keep your glock, BOV comes second. And besides, chances are a big truck wont do you any good anyways.. when the cars pile up on the roads you will be blocked... unless you have one of these...

_MG_3711.JPG

Lincoln lock means using a welder to weld the spider gears in an axle so there is no slippage between the two sides so u have a true 4wd with all four spinning all the time instead of the typical 4wd where there are 2 tires spinning all the time with the occasional 3rd and 4th tire spinning.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Lincoln lock means using a welder to weld the spider gears in an axle so there is no slippage between the two sides so u have a true 4wd with all four spinning all the time instead of the typical 4wd where there are 2 tires spinning all the time with the occasional 3rd and 4th tire spinning.

Great for a wheeling rig, not so great for something mostly driven on the streets.

Ah, got it thanks!

Great for a wheeling rig, not so great for something mostly driven on the streets.

Yeah wouldn't the tires chirp every time I made a turn?

Yes it tears up differentials and is only used off road. An occasional redneck will drive them on the street. My old yota had detroit lockers front and rear which kept them locked most of the time but allowed a small amount of slippage... still changed quite a few on the trails at browns camp rock crawling

Ok gotcha thanks. Yeah I'm using the Jeep currently while the weather is crap as my daily driver. Bout 100 miles a week. Want to keep this rig reliable as long as possible.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top