JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to install some motion sensing camera's that notify me when tripped and send real time video. I don't need the PD notified and don't care to pay much for storage and tech support. I need to put a couple in my shop too. It does not have wifi, but I intend to run Ethernet and cable out there, 125' or so. Has anyone done something similar and is happy with their install? Thanks, Ken

I use Netgear Arlo cams at the shop. Works great. You can configure it to send you emails when the motion goes off. You can also view live on your phone, tablet or PC. They have models that take batteries and 110VAC. It's all cloud storage but they have a free basic plan and tiered plans as well.
For the Arlo cams that run batteries, I got some rechargables from ebay. Takes CR123A's.

I use IP POE cameras. Off the shelf stuff and it plugs directly into your LAN. For software I use Zoneminder on a stand-alone old Linux box, you can set inclusive and exclusive zones with notification/recording rules for any camera/zone.

EDIT: the cameras have a green connection LED light that blinks and you can see the glow of the infrared at night. I've never had any issues.

I use Netgear Arlo cams at the shop. Works great. You can configure it to send you emails when the motion goes off. You can also view live on your phone, tablet or PC. They have models that take batteries and 110VAC. It's all cloud storage but they have a free basic plan and tiered plans as well.
For the Arlo cams that run batteries, I got some rechargables from ebay. Takes CR123A's.

How often do you have to change the batteries in the cameras ?? I could not really find that on their website.

How often do you have to change the batteries in the cameras ?? I could not really find that on their website.
I use the battery ones at my house. At the front door I change them about once a week to ten days. Elsewhere where there's less traffic amybe two to four weeks. That's why I went with the rechargeable batter batteries. It emails you a warning when the batteries are getting tired though.
I went with the AC powered Arlo's for work. Just mount it and plug it in and forget it. But the battery ones are magnetic and you can move them around the yard. Range is pretty decent. You can also email a link for the video from the app or Web login.

I have 5 POE cameras that are plugged into a POE switch. You can also use power injectors.
I use blue iris for security software. Blue Iris - Video Security Software

I'll have to check out Zoneminder.

As long as the camera broadcasts out RTSP protocol, it's usually good to go.

Zoneminder is open source and free. Most cameras are covered but there is a list you can check on its wiki.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top