Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Second-guessing the Second Amendment

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Bend, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

Boulderweekly.com

"Every year, Boulder Weekly likes to celebrate the Fourth of July by taking a look at an issue that’s important to all of us as Americans. In 2007, we asked the question, “What would the Founders think of George Bush’s America?” Last year, we asked people what patriotism meant to them. This year, we’re taking a look at the Second Amendment, one of the more controversial components of the Bill of Rights. We’re asking whether there’s a liberal argument for individual gun ownership and looking at what the Second Amendment means to us today. We’re also offering our readers a chance to test their knowledge about their rights, as well as an opportunity to learn more about the Bill of Rights, one of the most important documents in human history.

We hope you find our special cover package thought provoking and compelling, regardless of whether you’re a gun-control activist or a member of the NRA. "

More,
    see part 2 also.

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I read this and when I came to the last paragraph I was totally lost as to context, does anyone know what this last paragraph is referencing or the point?

3. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

I think (although as you know, I do so poorly) that the concept is that if a protected class ie. homosexuals, are found to have a right due to protected status in one state, the other states must honor that right. So if if they live somewhere that requires a reason for being given the permit (like personal protection of a protected class) than this would apply. But than it's a good chance that things like marriage and adoption rights would be found to apply as well.

4. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

That is an exceedingly bazaar paragraph for which I have no explanation...

The only thing I get out of it is that the author is afraid of gay people carrying concealed handguns. I personally know of no such bill that applies only to gays and concealed handguns. I personally think this last paragraph completely discredits the entire article.

For the record I'm not afraid of gay people even if they are carrying. :bluelaugh:

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Me either so long as they aren't brandishing! :D

6. toys

toys PDX Member

to me i think they are trying to bunch up gays w/guns. iac, its just a dumb tactic to divide and conquer.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

:lolbeat:

8. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I think what the author is trying to say albiet very poorly i sthat this is not just a rightwing issue by using the example of gays supporting the right the carry, it is a group that is traditionaly very liberal minded supporting ,something that is usuly supported by the people with very different values. As far as the senate bill I would like more information is this just a bill that will allow people with "special status" to carry in every state that allows it or is this a universal carry law?

9. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

I definitely don't think the author was trying to bash gays. The last sentence was trying to say that the only people who should be afraid are the criminals.

10. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I lived in Denver for almost two years and avoided Boulder like the plague. They have no need to explain their view on the second amendment. Its obvious from their municipal codes and attitudes.