Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Second Chance Vest

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rhtwist, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rhtwist

rhtwist South Florida Member

Howdy,
    I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the protection capability's of a Second Chance Vest that is approx. 30 years old. Clean and kept in a drawer.
    Thanks for any responses.
    rhtwist

2. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

I was told that a vest worn daily was good for three years

3. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

I have a second chance vest that is worn very often. The cloth will wear out and needs to be replaced, but the kevlar should last for a very long time. The trama plates are obviously not going to wear unless shot.

Your vest should be fine it is isn't worn out. Second Chance has made lots of vests, so a little more info on it would allow me to make a better accessment. Also, what level is it? One thing I can guarantee you, is that it is better than nothing at this point in its life.

4. Will

Will Everett Active Member

Much depends on the model, Simply not enough information given to provide a reasonable response. Sounds like it is close to new but are the trama plate in tact? Heck that old did they have trama plates? Back then police were using straight kevlar and the military had trama plates.

I've never heard of a vest wearing out in three years. The materials will hold up for a lifetime unless they take an impact. Older ones are more bulky/heavy.

More info on the model would help with an opinion

5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

In my opinion,

A old/used vest is better than a superman tattoo.

I wouldn't wear it to test, but I would wear one for safety.

6. SULLY

SULLY Salem, Or. Member

It's better than using a garbage can lid!

7. rhtwist

rhtwist South Florida Member

Thank you Gentlemen for your responses. It was purchased when they first started production, no trauma plate. Wore it for about 3 years and then quit and put it in a drawer. Better than nothing, and can't hurt. Good enough.
    rhtwist

8. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I have seen movies that tell a different story.