JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday afternoon I noticed a late model 4-runner in my neighbors driveway.
Talking to him later revealed he bought a 2011 in beautiful condition and I asked him about his 'old' one which is a 2004 SR5.
Long story short I now own his 'old' one and never realized how nice it was after seeing it nearly everyday.
It is in pristine condition and I got a 'smokin' deal on it...
Not a very good pic as it was in the 'dark' corner of my shop getting the standard 'used' vehicle shakedown inspection but I'll get a better one of it outside.
IMG_1304[1].JPG

Very nice! My wife absolutely LOVES her 2006. She just rolled 158k miles.

The only thing I would suggest is cleaning (or buying replacement) headlight assy. Then install some LED replacement headlight bulbs. The night lights up!

A bit of advise when you notice that funny rattly noise coming from either the flex plate the lifters or some other no matter how much time and money you spend trying to track it down sound you can't find or fix starts driving you crazy just turn the stereo up and ignore it. My son in law and I worked off and on for 2 months trying to figure out what was causing the noise replaced many parts tightened many bolts used a whole library full of cuss words and yet no change. We gave up and he finally sold it. I believe his was a 2003.

A bit of advise when you notice that funny rattly noise coming from either the flex plate the lifters or some other no matter how much time and money you spend trying to track it down sound you can't find or fix starts driving you crazy just turn the stereo up and ignore it. My son in law and I worked off and on for 2 months trying to figure out what was causing the noise replaced many parts tightened many bolts used a whole library full of cuss words and yet no change. We gave up and he finally sold it. I believe his was a 2003.

i bought a 2016 4runner brand new with 3 miles on it. i pointed out the light tick noise to the salesman. we started 5 other 4runners in the lot so that i could confirm that its normal :rolleyes:

i work across the lot at chevy as a technician. i talked to one of my toyota tech buddys and he said it was normal too.

almost 30k on it now and still sounds exactly the same :) its been a great rig so far

How many days do you legally have to return it? :eek: First thing I'd look for is frame rust. I hope yours doesn't have the problem. I don't know anything about it except what I've read on the internet. There are horror stories about people who took their Tacomas in to get brakes worked on and the shop said the frame was too rusted to put on the rack - some apparently broke on the rack.

Anyone know if this problem occurs only in places where they use a lot of salt?

Toyota 4Runner Frame Rust Being Looked at by Feds

Lots more info on the internet. Good luck. Hope you got a good one!

I purchased new and still have my 2004 4Runner with 200,000 miles. Running like a champ with routine maintenance. Some issues, fairly routine, repacked bearings around 150k, replaced the 02 sensor a couple times, plugs, belts. There are a handful of recalls on the SUV, so check with Toyota (airbag, dash board material, maybe a few other things). No serious issues. Biggest complaint was/is the odor that comes in thru the open back window (esp. going up hill, bad sulfur smell), a few trim pieces broke, and the CD deck died.

How many days do you legally have to return it? :eek: First thing I'd look for is frame rust. I hope yours doesn't have the problem. I don't know anything about it except what I've read on the internet. There are horror stories about people who took their Tacomas in to get brakes worked on and the shop said the frame was too rusted to put on the rack - some apparently broke on the rack.

Anyone know if this problem occurs only in places where they use a lot of salt?

Toyota 4Runner Frame Rust Being Looked at by Feds
From what I've read on the 4runner forums its a problem where they use salt. Another thing is that theres a lot of old ones out there that have a lot of miles on them. Its one case where engine longevity isn't necessarily a good thing.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a late model 4-runner in my neighbors driveway.
Talking to him later revealed he bought a 2011 in beautiful condition and I asked him about his 'old' one which is a 2004 SR5.
Long story short I now own his 'old' one and never realized how nice it was after seeing it nearly everyday.
It is in pristine condition and I got a 'smokin' deal on it...
Not a very good pic as it was in the 'dark' corner of my shop getting the standard 'used' vehicle shakedown inspection but I'll get a better one of it outside.
View attachment 528895
If you haven't found it already heres a link to T4R.org. Everything you'll ever need to know and more. I've got a '98 SR5 with 163K on it. Just barely broken in. :)
Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I was looking at early-mid 2000s 4Runners (it's where my cash price parameters put me) and checked-over about a dozen. Not a single rust issue beyond some surface stuff in odd places due to buildup of leaves, pine needles, etc.
Oregon is one of the best kept secrets in the car biz as far as rust goes.

I ended up buying an 02 Ram 4x4 instead of the 'runner, but I still make eyes at em on the street. Congratulations, I'd bet you got a winner.

Followup to the question of rust.
I couldn't wait so I went out with a flashlight in the shop this morning to give it a quick look-see.
Other than a couple small reddish areas on a few small high points nothing but dirty, black frame coating - and exposed and clean nuts and bolts.
I'll give it a closer look this weekend but nothing at ALL like some of the pics I was looking at online about it.
Rust scare averted.

Rust scare averted.
When I moved to OR from AZ in 04, I was a little bit worried that my source of rust-free vehicles was going to have to be imported from AZ, CA, etc. Every single vehicle I've bought in OR has been rust-free* and that includes some otherwise crappy ones. My 79 Chrysler, when I decide to sell it, will go on ebay so the Midwest tinworm victims can bid.

*Exception: My 76 F150 has some, but it was originally sold in MT. Woulda been a deal-killer for me on an average truck, but it's a step-side 4x4 4sp... not a lot of those around anymore.

I would give zero worries about rust, if the vehicle was bought and run here. A quick eyeball at the undercarriage will let you know if it was run for any length of time in a salt state.

Had a Nissan Pathfinder bought and ran in Mass, drove it out here for the first Mass escape attempt, then drove it back. Had a rust recall on it (strut towers IIRC), where the dealer could attempt to patch it if not too bad. If too bad it would get crushed & they'd cut a paltry check. Was able to be patched, I drove it for a few years, and then sold it before our second Mass escape.

I'd have no issues buying the same Nissan Pathfinder year out here, if we needed another SUV.

I don't know about other regions, but areas that throw down rock salt wreak havoc on all manor of vehicles components (frame, body panels, front end etc). New England states all do, so it's like driving around in brine when it's wet. When it's dry, it's litterally a salt film.

Nothing similar is done out here, excepting for *maybe* some passes and such.

-nice find OP! Hope you either get to run it and enjoy it for a long long time, or spend the time/effort to flip it and make some extra $. Personally I'd run it...

if the vehicle was bought and run here.
It 'lived' Nearly ten years next door to me - driven all of about 10 miles a day.
Hope you either get to run it and enjoy it for a long long time, or spend the time/effort to flip it and make some extra $.
I bought it with the intent on keeping it.
With the deal I got on it I could easily double my money - or more. (Yes it was an insanely good deal) but I bought it from my next door neighbors who are great people and to even think of flipping it is wrong and I would not do it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top