JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK...a friend of mine has told me that our spring activated air rifle (simple 1 motion break-barrel action .177 pellets) can't be fitted with a rifle scope.

He maintains that the rifle scope isn't made to absorb forward only recoil as in the case of the spring mechanism in our air rifle.

As we are new to shooting (anything...rifles, air rifles, etc) I came here, knowing that I'd get good information.

Anything helps.

Best,
M

Your friend is correct. While you could certainly mount a regular rifle scope on your spring loaded air rifle, you will tear up a regular rifle scope in short order using it on an air rifle. You need to purchase a scope designed for use on air rifles. I use an air rifle scope on my Ruger 10/22 as it is far more durable than most scopes designed for use on rimfire rifles.

Yep he is correct. Go onto a site like Pyramid Air and look at all their scopes...all are designed for the "double recoil" of the magnum springers. Now if you had a PCP (pre charged) air rifle you could use any scope you want. Most magnum springers have a REALLY good accuracy and effective range of about 40 yards..past that and you really risk not getting a humane kill. Trust me I hit a crow at 70 or so yards once with a good ol heavy 10.65 grain pellet and it flew off ...I did however find it in the field the next day. I hope it fell dead fairly quick poor thing. From that point on I didn't go for a kill past 40 yards unless the critter was small like nutters and smaller birds.

Some other advice about springers to increase accuracy 100%? Undo every screw on the stock, scope, mounts etc..and BLUE LocTight them in. Also, use pellets at least 9 grain but not over 11 for best accuracy and longer life of your seals and spring. Mine loved Barracuda 10.65g. These guns are also notorious for long trigger pulls..I would HIGHLY recomment a custom trigger if available. Google "Charlie Da Tuna Triggers" and take a look. They are only about $34 and easy to install but will give you way more accuracy.

On the other paw, you COULD buy a mount called a 'Dampa' that is made specifically to absorb the odd double recoil characteristiscs of the spring air rifle. They are made here in UK by Theoben, and fit ALL 11-13mm scope cuts and either 1" or 30mm scope diameters.

See - <broken link removed>

If there are none around in the USA, I'm very happy to help you out - Theoben are only down the road from me.

tac

On the other paw, you COULD buy a mount called a 'Dampa' that is made specifically to absorb the odd double recoil characteristiscs of the spring air rifle. They are made here in UK by Theoben, and fit ALL 11-13mm scope cuts and either 1" or 30mm scope diameters.

See - <broken link removed>

If there are none around in the USA, I'm very happy to help you out - Theoben are only down the road from me.

tac

I'll be darned! I never would have thought of a shock absorbing mounting system, but it makes sense. How are they for maintaining zero?

Again, buy a Benjamin Marauder PCP .25 Caliber with a Hawke Scope and shoot through a 3/8 piece of plywood at 75 yards. My befeathered sky rats can't take this lethal shot without rolling up on his post and doing the dive!!

Ditto on Pyramid Air! Aside from sales they have a great deal of info on all aspects of air gunnery!:) I bought a Leapers scope from them (ChiCom) and it has held up very well, YMMV though. Remember, it is Chinese! Only actual problem is the red/green lighted reticule sucks battery's dry with startling speed! I think that there is a short that drains them whether on or off. Good luck with your Scope!

Again, buy a Benjamin Marauder PCP .25 Caliber with a Hawke Scope and shoot through a 3/8 piece of plywood at 75 yards. My befeathered sky rats can't take this lethal shot without rolling up on his post and doing the dive!!

Better yet...buy a Hatsan AT44 PCP in 22 or 25 and get a better shooting rifle

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads