JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was out at the range yesterday by ourselves (no parking; 1.5 ft of snow, etc) trying out two Christmas rifles. My boys had fun but we were confused about windage/elevation adjustments at 25 yds.

I've found tons of instructions online that contradict themselves. I think I know the answer now but I want to see how much confusion is out there. So let me ask you........

At 25 yards, holding crosshairs on bullseye, I get a 3 shot group that is 3 inches too high and 1 inch to the right.

What windage/elevation adjustments would you make to put the bullet on the bullseye on the very next shot? Tell me how many clicks and in what direction for each turret please.......

Thanks!

Depends on the scope. Quadruple the 100 yd correction to correct at 25.

Example: 1" at 100 yds is 4 clicks on a 1/4" turret. 16 clicks at 25 yds.
1" is 2 clicks at 100 yds on a 1/2" turret. 8 clicks at 25 yds.

Or try it the easy way---if you have a really solid rest or a cardboard box. Take a shot,
aiming where you want the bullet to hit. (dead center, 1" high, whatever.)

Now put the crosshairs on the bullet hole, and WITHOUT MOVING THE RIFLE,
adjust the scope so the crosshairs are on where you want the bullet to hit.

I usually use a cardboard box. cut a tight notch for the barrel, another for the
buttstock. "adjust" so the crosshairs are on the bullet hole, then gently turn
ther adjustments until the crosshairs line up at my desired point of impact.

I can see where your easy way might work fine, but I'd still like an answer to my basic question....

I have a scope that is one click equals 1/4 inch at 100yds.

In my example, do you move the windage turret right one inch and elevation up 3" (Right 16 clicks, Up 48 clicks)

OR

Left 16 clicks and Down 48 clicks?

Put another way, do you adjust the turrets to move from the bullseye to your shot group, or from your group to the bullseye?

Thanks for the help

In one direct and one not so direct way you guys are both saying that if I am 3 hi and 1 to the right with my group to adjust my turrets down and to the left.

I don't see how that can be. Here is a guy that says the opposite.:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/163052_zero-rifle-scope.htm

If my rifle is mounted and cannot move, with bullseye in crosshairs, and I shoot a group 3 inches high and 1 inch to the right, couldn't I zero the rifle by adjusting....with the rifle still fixed in position..... the turrets so that the crosshairs are over my group..... up and to the right? Then, if I fire another round with the fixed rifle, it will hit right where my crosshairs were moved to? Didn't I move the crosshairs up and to the right to accomplish this?

What am I missing?

In one direct and one not so direct way you guys are both saying that if I am 3 hi and 1 to the right with my group to adjust my turrets down and to the left.

I don't see how that can be. Here is a guy that says the opposite.:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/163052_zero-rifle-scope.htm

If my rifle is mounted and cannot move, with bullseye in crosshairs, and I shoot a group 3 inches high and 1 inch to the right, couldn't I zero the rifle by adjusting....with the rifle still fixed in position..... the turrets so that the crosshairs are over my group..... up and to the right? Then, if I fire another round with the fixed rifle, it will hit right where my crosshairs were moved to? Didn't I move the crosshairs up and to the right to accomplish this?

What am I missing?
after you fire the first shot you put the crosshairs back at your original point of aim and lock it in position (i use a gun vice) then adjust crosshairs to the bullet hole- you were aiming at a point and the bullet went to another point by reaiming at the original point then putting the crosshairs on the hole you have the gun aimed to were it hits.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top