JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Deciding on Warne scope rings. Have been looking at the 202LM and the 602M. Basically would it be better to have detachable rings or fixed rings. I like the idea of removing the scope ring assembly for firearm maintenance , etc . and then being able to just simply and easily reinstall it without a lot of fuss. However I am also of the opinion that the fixed rings will provide a more solid connection between the rifle and the scope and just keep things locked down better over time. Primary purpose of the rifle is target shooting so this thing will not be dragged through the wild in search of the great and terrible (enter animal name here).

What say you all? Detachable or fixed?

I worked for a company that made lever style detachable rings, and even being very careful to re-install the scope onto the bases, and tightening the rings onto the bases, using as close to the same pressure and indexing of the levers, the center of the group would vary about 3/4" or so at 100 yards.

So, you might have to re-zero after removing and replacing the scope, your experience and that of others may vary.

As to the groups being larger because of the clamping action of the lever type versus the non-detachable, I have detachable rings on both my .35 Whelen and 7mm STW, and don't seem to have any problems.

Not sure why one would need to remove a scope for proper cleaning. Never heard of such a thing.
Either use,I wouldn't want to waste ammo to resight my scope very ofter. I change them from gun to gun too often as it is,lol

My reason was to be able to switch from a low powered scope, like a 2-7 for closer shooting to a higher powered one like a 4-12, for longer shooting on my .35 Whelen, or to be able to switch scopes between my .338 mag. 700 Remington, and my 7mm STW that is based on a VZ24 Mauser, without changing rings around.
(When you also make the bases, you can also set up the spacing on the stops on the bases the same between say the 700 Rem., and the Mauser, so you don't have to move the rings around...)
As far as "wasting" ammo, I seem to do a lot more of that just dinking around than I do to re-zero the scope after changing them...
Just some of my personal thoughts on the matter...

I have the Leupold quick detach set-up on my M70 375 H&H. I have two scopes that I use for it, a Sightron 1.5x and a Nikon 3x9. I have had no problems with recoil shooting anything loose, and both scopes will be at zero when removed and re-attached. I set the rifle up originally for bear and moose in Alaska so I have an open express sight and ramped front sight as well. I am sure the Warne quick detach rings and bases are as reliable and robust as the competitions.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top