JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howdy all. I am thinking of adding a scope to my AR-556. I do pretty much all of my shooting with iron sights, so it has been a while since I've invested in optics. As such, I'd value some input on the topic.

As for the "what for" question:
  • Target shooting and plinking.
  • If/when my schedule ever gets less nutso, I could see getting back into coyote hunting.*
The parameters:
  • Smaller and lighter weight would be best.
  • It doesn't have to offer the highest of magnification.
  • Rugged. It should be able to hold up hiking around the woods and bouncing around in a pickup.
  • I'd really prefer the mount to work in such a manner that I could leave the folding rear iron sight in place.
  • Doesn't require batteries of any kind.
  • Not el cheapo bottom end. I've found that you do get what you pay for with optics and I'd like to steer clear of the crapola.
  • Not crazy high end expensive. It has to be a quality scope, and I'm willing to pay for said, but it simply doesn't need to be super exotic or pricey.
Thank you much for any recommendations.

* It has crossed my mind to use my Mini-14 for this purpose, but I think I'll go with the AR for a variety of reasons. That said, I'm open to kicking around this alternative.

Thanks for the links; much appreciated. Certainly not a deal killer if the batteries are optional. The Burris model looks like it would fit the bill.

I'd check out SWFA, good glass and pretty good quality.

As for the scope mount, cheapest I'd go is a Burris P.E.P.R, it should be high enough to leave some rear BUIS in place.

Vortex Viper PST:

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MOA)<br />Tactical
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope-with-tmcq-moa-reticle
No batteries in this one - Vortex Crossfire II:

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 3-9x40 V-Plex

I've used both with the Team Warne XSKEL mounting system. They have them with, and without, the tactical mounting system to use MBUS if you want:

Tactical Archives - Warne Scope Mounts
http://warnescopemounts.com/product-category/msr-mounting-systems/tactical-msr-mounting-systems/
I have one of each scope listed above with the XSKEL mounting system and have been very happy with them.

I have been very pleased with, various, Vortex optics the last 4-5 years! What ever, look thru them at the store! I noticed a marked improvement in clarity the first Vortex I bought! I also like the Vortex red/green dot ( sorry, forget the model), on my M-2 carbine. The irons co-witness thru the scope!

Leupold ar mod 1 1.5 by 4
Aero ultralight mount.

Light weight small package that doesn't break the bank at all.

Vortex pst is nice however it has a larger profile and weighs more. Same goes for the patrol. I have had all three and always go back to the at mod 1 because it is cheap light weight small and I really like the spr fired or reticle. The vxr and the pst arguably better glass on paper but I don't notice.

All that being said I almost exclusively run my mro lol.

Last Edited:
I have a zeroed set of rear sights folded under the scope on all my scoped black rifles.
They also have a fast way to remove the scope if needed.

It's a back up option for scope failure. But doesn't give the option of co-witnessing.
But then how can you co-witness very well anyways with 4x magnification?

I have a 1-4 Burris that works great on an AR15.
It looks good and glass looks great for the cost. It's just an extra rifle I don't shoot a lot so I wasn't going to spend several hundred on it.

IMG_0689.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads