JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Los Angeles (CNN) -- A suburban Los Angeles school district is now looking at the public postings on social media by middle and high school students, searching for possible violence, drug use, bullying, truancy and suicidal threats.

The district in Glendale, California, is paying $40,500 to a firm to monitor and report on 14,000 middle and high school students' posts on Twitter, Facebook and other social media for one year.

Though critics liken the monitoring to government stalking, school officials and their contractor say the purpose is student safety.

As classes began this fall, the district awarded the contract after it earlier paid the firm, Geo Listening, $5,000 last spring to conduct a pilot project monitoring 9,000 students at three high schools and a middle school. Among the results was a successful intervention with a student "who was speaking of ending his life" on his social media, said Chris Frydrych, CEO of the firm.

That intervention was significant because two students in the district committed suicide the past two years, said Superintendent Richard Sheehan. The suicides occurred at a time when California has reduced mental health services in schools, Sheehan said.

"We were able to save a life," Sheehan said, adding the two recent suicides weren't outside the norm for school districts. "It's just another avenue to open up a dialogue with parents about safety."

In another recent incident, a student posted a photo of what appeared to be a gun, and a subsequent inquiry determined the gun was fake, Sheehan said.

Still, school administrators spoke with the parents of the student, who wasn't disciplined, the superintendent said.

"We had to educate the student on the dangers of posting such photos", Sheehan said.

California district hires firm to monitor students' social media - CNN.com

This reminds me of the Onion news talking about how the CIA doesn't need to spy on us, they just monitor Facebook and we tell them everything they need to know.

Isn't this a violation of a minor's right to privacy? Like they sealed T martin's juvie record since he was clearly no angel. If they'll do it to the kids they'll do it to any one who doesn't agree with them and lock them up to keep "children and the public safe." Hitler and Stalin are having a big laugh in Hell right now and wishing they had electronic state of the art surveillance like this admin.

Brutus Out

Isn't this a violation of a minor's right to privacy? Like they sealed T martin's juvie record since he was clearly no angel. If they'll do it to the kids they'll do it to any one who doesn't agree with them and lock them up to keep "children and the public safe." Hitler and Stalin are having a big laugh in Hell right now and wishing they had electronic state of the art surveillance like this admin.

Brutus Out

I don't think looking at a public twitter account is taking away anyone's rights, Also if the students are so worried about having people see what they post A, don't post it. B, don't have a facebook or twitter...? just my .02 cents

"We had to educate the student on the dangers of posting such photos", Sheehan said.

Such as the First Amendment, being seen as just a stupid kid emulating what their parents let them see on TV/the internet.

A guy on another forum I read caught this part of the CNN article:

To do the work, Frydrych employs no more than 10 full-time staffers -- as well as "a larger portion" of contract workers across the globe who labor a maximum of four hours a day because "the content they read is so dark and heavy," Frydrych said.

:s0114: Dark and heavy, maaan. Oh, by the way citizens of that school district, your tax dollars are going to pay contract workers across the globe to watch your kids twitter/facebook pages, public as they may be. You're paying the school to hire folks in Mumbai, Moscow, Paris, New York, wherever... to read your kids twitter feeds. I'm sure nothing will go bad there.

I don't do face book, twitter, or any of those other things. Haven't found a need to. I know who my friends are and we see each other in person or talk on the phone. My past is the past. This site, along with a couple of other interests, is as close as I get to any kind of social media. My Adult kids on the other hand are all over all of those social media sites. They all have guns and have pictures of themselves shooting and of course posing (respectfully) with their guns. I asked them to NOT share their firearms "hobby" pictures on their social media sites just because there are so many people out there that will respond negatively due to ignorance. What the school is doing by monitoring those sites is only another reason why I can't be found on any of those sites.

I wonder how they deal with anonymous Twitter accounts and Facebook users with privacy turned on. Although in my experience, most people under 25 have zero concept of privacy these days.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top