JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have mixed feelings about the whole macho thing. My own macho thing I'm talking about, not that of guys. On the one hand, I have no "man card" that obliges me to deafen my ears or damage my hands just to show how tough I am. However, I shoot and am interested in guns way beyond what's necessary for self defense. Its clear that I have a huge drive to aim/throw stuff. But why do I enjoy aiming and throwing bullets--especially big bullets--so much more than basketballs, baseballs, marbles or snowballs, which I also enjoyed in my young broad days? Honestly, the macho component does matter. Enough so that I just don't enjoy shooting .22s these days. But not so much that want to shoot calibers that are more than I can handle with one hand, either hand. Nor do I want to shoot .44mag out of guns so light they make shooting it painful.

Ah well. I come by the macho naturally. My mother gave birth to three kids without anesthesia or screams or tears. On the third one the doctors were leaving her waiting and unattended because they decided who to pay attention to by who was screaming. Finally my mother blew up and said "This is my third child. Its coming and its coming soon. I'm not screaming because I don't scream. I'm a stoic. But I promise you if I have this baby in the waiting room or hall instead of the delivery room, I'm not going to pay the bill."

I hear several people describe the 500 as a pussycat and I say to that, there's certain loads that would definitely change their opinion. I have shot almost every type of 500 including reloads and most are really tame but, there's a few that even I cannot handle. With that said, I've never had the opportunity to shoot the 329 yet. I tried to buy one at a gun show and the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, if he'd tossed in the bgc id have bought it. I am what's considered a recoil junky and will some day own a 329.

I've never owned a 500 Magnum, but have shot a friend's gun years ago. The first round I fired was ridiculous, felt like dynamite going off, and the empty brass came out of the cylinder split down the side. He said "Yeah, a lot of them split like that."

He gave me the ammo that he got with the gun and I took it with me to pull it apart. Clearly someone's hot-rod reloads, as I recall it was something like 40+ grains of H110 behind 500 grain JSP bullets. I have a feeling that they were seriously overloaded. Edit- I could be wrong on specifics- it was a long time ago.

I did not shoot any of the "hot" loads in my 460V, just the Hornady ammo and some hunting loads from Federal. The Federal loads were hotter and you could tell the difference from the milder Hornady. Either way, the velocity and energy were much greater than any .44 mag load from any gun (although I did not verify with a chrono). The weight of the 460V is 2X that of the 329PD (4") and the comp really helps - the "blast" is significant as is the fireball.

I have never had anybody who shot my 329PD like it with the heavy loads - but that has just been me, my daughter and SIL. I don't find it fun to shoot with any load. I have shot a number of heavy recoiling handguns, but the 329 is close to the worst - the worst being a Grendel P10 in .380 ACP believe it or not - it left a bruise on the palm/web of my hand (I gave that gun away - worst gun I ever owned). It weighed 14 ounces.

Weight makes a difference. At least in my experience.

This thread makes me want a 329 even more now...

IMG_20201028_144642_856.jpg IMG_20201028_144028_694.jpg 20201027_142252.jpg

Seems contradictory to carry a gun one would not enjoy practicing with, even minimally.

How could you be confident carrying it with little to no practice or familiarity with it?
I agree. If you have to point a gun at someone there is nothing like having confidence in the gun as well as your ability with it. That way you can use your brain to deal with the social complexities of the situation. And they can be complex. I once had an attempted home invasion by an enraged huge athletic guy turn into a potential suicide-by-OldBroad, with guy standing in door, saying "Go ahead and shoot me. I don't care if I die," and raving and crying about his girlfriend who had apparently just dumped him. I was pointing a 6" Ruger Security Six .357 mag revolver at him, a gun I was totally familiar with in a way I only am with a gun I have shot a lot in part because I really enjoy shooting it. So I did not have to to think about the gun at all. I could use all my brain on the complicated social situation.

Seems contradictory to carry a gun one would not enjoy practicing with, even minimally.

How could you be confident carrying it with little to no practice or familiarity with it?
It's a dilemma, for sure.
Some like to carry it in grizzly country for its lightness, but they had better practice some with it in DA.
Myself, I would rather carry a 4" or 6" Model 29 or 629 than that little 329 devil.

A valid observation, but the old saying, "you should see the other guy" comes to mind. I don't think my 329PD has had more than 20 rounds put thru it. I am going to have it ported - hopefully that and the X-frame Hogue grips will make it a bit more tolerable to shoot. Also, when responding to a charging brown bear, I doubt I will get off more than 2-3 shots.

That said, I would rather have my 329PD with me than a 460V that I leave at home.

I do need to get out and try my TRR8 with the Underwood 180 gr hardcast loads. I think those would be adequate for black bear.

I used to carry a 4" M-29 and always thought the s&w mountain gun would be perfect, 3-4". To be honest I've given up on any s&w .44 because every one I've owned sheared off the pressed ino the frame action stud giggity which is a major repair.
Indeed, any s&w I might own would not be for heavy use at all.

I have one on layaway that I recently found It's the 329 NG with adjustable rear sights, and a good blash shield under the top strap. I'm good with just shooting .44 Specials in it. I used to own a Charter Arms Bulldog and it weighed much less at 21.5 oz compared to the 329 NG at 29.6 oz

329 NG A.png 329 NG.png 329 NG B.png