JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it's anything like my 340, it'll be a sharp, stinging sensation more than "recoil" much like when you hit the ball wrong with a wooden bat

My 329PD is a 4" model. I don't like a revolver with a barrel shorter than ~3"

Recoil is significant with even .44 Special loads. Violent with heavy .44 mag loads - enough to make my hand numb after only one or two shots. I have heavy bear loads for it - 300gr at 1200 fps (IIRC) - I need to run them thru the chrono, but they are stout. I would never shoot it with the wood grips, and I have some X frame grips with rubber backstrap - those do help somewhat.

Nice to carry, not fun to shoot - painful in fact. I had a 460V it was a pussycat compared to the 329PD.

Violent would be one word to use. Orgasmic? Eh, makes me think you might enjoy a very different sort of intimacy than what I'm used to... :eek:

I shot one exactly twice, quite a few years back. It reminded me of what it might feel like to put your hand on a table and have someone whack it with a baseball bat. And I'm a .44 Magnum fan who's shot a lot of them.

Then again, it would be nice and light to carry, and the recoil would probably hurt less than getting munched on by an angry bear. Maybe

If it's anything like my 340, it'll be a sharp, stinging sensation more than "recoil" much like when you hit the ball wrong with a wooden bat
Or like taking a slapshot with a composite stick, but missing the puck 3" behind it, causing the stick to shatter in 497477 pieces and sending you tumbling the ice, landing squarely on your knee, hip, elbow and shoulder. That is graceful compared to the ridicule you get as you pick up the pieces of your pride and limp the the bench, to the songs of your teammates competing with one another for the most colorful rendition of what they just witnessed.

Not that that's ever happened, or anything.

Or like taking a slapshot with a composite stick, but missing the puck 3" behind it, causing the stick to shatter in 497477 pieces and sending you tumbling the ice, landing squarely on your knee, hip, elbow and shoulder. That is graceful compared to the ridicule you get as you pick up the pieces of your pride and limp the the bench, to the songs of your teammates competing with one another for the most colorful rendition of what they just witnessed.

Not that that's ever happened, or anything.
You should be fine if you're wearing a cup…. FYI- it ain't no Dixie cup, and you sure don't wanna drink out of it.

Shut up and take my money!! 💵
DEAL!

You should be fine if you're wearing a cup…. FYI- it ain't no Dixie cup, and you sure don't wanna drink out of it.
Only the best:

DEAL!

Only the best:

I thought this was the best?

I have 360 and 386 scandium/titanium combos. Both are stout with 357mag.

I've had many macho he-men unable to finish even a full cylinder without handing it back.

I've been eyeing the 329 for years. Someday I'll trade into one.

I have 360 and 386 scandium/titanium combos. Both are stout with 357mag.

I've had many macho he-men unable to finish even a full cylinder without handing it back.

I've been eyeing the 329 for years. Someday I'll trade into one.
It's funny you mention that.
I wanted so bad to hand that 329 back after a couple of rounds, but I decided to retain my Man Card and emptied the cylinder.
The 500 that I shot right after that was a pussy cat in comparison.

Garrett Cartridges has designed some 250 grain Hammerhead rounds in .44mag specifically for the titanium Smiths and other light .44s:
Much good info in this article. He designed for optimal performance in very light guns for manageable recoil. Enough info so you can probably roll your own given the info in this article, data describing loads under each specific load, and a chronograph. You can buy his Hammerhead bullets separately too.

Also note that light guns firing hot loads are associated with bullet pull. That is, gun recoil is so hard and sharp that bullets in the rest of the cylinder may be pulled out of brass a bit. So it wouldn't be best to fire a few rounds and just replace the empties and subject those not fired in first firing to additional firing recoil. And it would be best to have rounds carried for SD ones that have not been already subjected to multiple recoils. I've noticed that when Hickok45 shoots full loads in very light revolvers, he usually puts just two rounds in the cylinder and fires just those. Presumably partly because while he can shoot such guns accurately, they are punishing. But maybe also this pattern avoids subjecting any of his ammo to unnecessary recoils.

Note that if your hand stings or goes numb you are doing nerve damage. Likewise if you get a headache from recoil noise. And nerve damage can be permanent. Some scientists have caused permanent damage to their ears or hands by using laboratory sonic devices used to clean equipment or break bacterial cell walls. With my full size .44s I can fire ammo up to about 1000 ft. lbs.without stinging my hands. But full loads do sting my hands. For those I just wear soft light cotton gloves for practice. They are enough to take the sting out. Regular shooting gloves may do better where guns are lighter and recoil sharper, but I've never tried them.

Last Edited:
Note that if your hand stings or goes numb you are doing nerve damage.
Good comment. I was much more macho with heavy-recoiling guns in my younger days. For a non-competitor, I shot a lot of .44 Magnum. A decade or so ago I was told that eventually that recoil was going to cause nerve damage and/or arthritis. I don't shoot anywhere near so much magnum stuff anymore.

It's funny you mention that.
I wanted so bad to hand that 329 back after a couple of rounds, but I decided to retain my Man Card and emptied the cylinder.
The 500 that I shot right after that was a pussy cat in comparison.
I probably would have done the same thing way back when I fired one. As I recall, I think I only loaded two rounds in it, so maybe my man card is intact. On second thought, I don't need no stinkin' man card. :cool: I've been around a while, done a few things, don't really need to prove anything to anyone anymore. :)

You're absolutely right though; the mighty .500 S&W Magnum is downright tame, in comparison to the 329 .44 mag.