JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From time to time I dive into my spam folder to see if I missed any glorious missed connections on craigslist, ok I'm kidding, but I do look in there to see if I missed any mail that was incorrectly filtered. So I see an email from our old Nigerian friend Mr. Philip Hill...you know, because that's a Nigerian name and all. In any case, I knew right away it was a Nigerian scam, but just wanted to see what they have evolved to, or in this case devolved to. So I see that Mr. Philip Hill, our old bestie who is ours faithfully, or so it says in his email signature, is indeed a Nigerian scammer.

This scammer made no attempt to have any graphics in the email body, no business name or contact info from his signature just the below blurb. But the real insult is that this person is SO lazy that they emailed directly from a gmail address. NO attempt to spoof, nothing.

I will say I'm also disappointed that it was not once of the 20 million Prince's it usually is emailing. A phishing attempt from a commoner.....

--
Block 10 Flat 5
Victoria Island
Lagos-Nigeria

This is to inform you that your funds of US$15 Million has been
approved for immediate delivery to you. For the purpose of
clarification,you are advised to reconfirm your

Full Names,======================

Direct Telephone Numbers,==========

Physical Address with Zip Code=======

so that there will be no error during the delivery of the funds to you
in your country of residence.

Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

Yours Faithfully,
Mr. Philip Hill

Are there actually people in this day and age still responding to stuff like this?

I'm guessing yes since they don't even bother making it look official. A few years ago the Director of the FBI, Robert Mueller, who actually wasn't even the Director at the time, emailed me from a yahoo email account in Thailand with VERY broken English asking me to pay fines....because that's how the FBI works...they email you from a Thai Yahoo email account with broken English asking for money....:rolleyes:

This last week I've had three separate phishing attacks on my Apple acct, and one ea on my CapitalOne and Paypal accts. The nice thing about Apple is they have a [email protected] email address to forward phishing emails. I will have to follow up with the others... PITA!!

Just because you see a normal looking email return address, it doesn't mean it was sent from there. The scammers and hackers are very good at making a mailing or even a text or cellphone call look like it was from an innocuous address or number, when in fact it could have been sent from Hajji in the bum-F Syrian Electronic Army.

Last Edited:
Just because you see a normal looking email return address, it doesn't mean it was sent from there. The scammers and hackers are very good at making a mailing or even a text or cellphone call look like it was from an innocuous address or number, when in fact it could have been sent from Hajji in the bum-F Syrian Electronic Army.

Yes, the CapitolOne email looks very legit on the surface. But it references my Paypal acct, which I don't use my credit card with.

Are there actually people in this day and age still responding to stuff like this?

I often wondered about that too. Then recently a family member did this. Someone got crap on her work computer. She sent them a bunch of money to release it and of course they just wanted more. Then she asked for help from her employer who of course just wiped the machine. It is still amazing that people fall for this crap but there seems to be no end to the idiots who do.

I often wondered about that too. Then recently a family member did this. Someone got crap on her work computer. She sent them a bunch of money to release it and of course they just wanted more. Then she asked for help from her employer who of course just wiped the machine. It is still amazing that people fall for this crap but there seems to be no end to the idiots who do.

I've had ransom attacks several times. Fortunately antivirus companies are very good at both preventing and curing those. I keep the solution on a memory stick now. I still get some IE attacks that come up on my screen, but either CTRL-ALT-DEL works or a shutdown gets rid of those. Ransomware is not as easy to get rid of since it sticks thru a shutdown/reboot cycle.

I haven't had one of those calls in 20yrs!
I remember decades back a friend on another group did that. He was telling us how some very nice Gal from MS called him to tell him he had a problem with his computer. How nice she was as she walked him through allowing her to fix it over the phone. I contacted him and told him to wipe the damn drive now!! He at first did not like the idea but after a few more told him the same thing he then asked me how. I told him how to do so and he did grumble a little for weeks after what a PITA it was to load all the stuff back again in the days of dial up.

"Yas...Thesese ese MicroSuft teck sueport ...:rolleyes:
letting you know that your I.P number has been hacked in 35 countries...:eek:
Plese to be staying on the line for one of our technicians." :p

When I was in my mid twenties, I had some well spoken guy here in the US call me telling me I won a prize (I had never entered a contest in my life at that point). Of course he needed to verify my bank account number to send me the prize (an iPhone). I laughed and asked him where and what contest did I enter. He stumbled...the mall...I yelled a few choice statements at him and hung up.

I've had ransom attacks several times. Fortunately antivirus companies are very good at both preventing and curing those. I keep the solution on a memory stick now. I still get some IE attacks that come up on my screen, but either CTRL-ALT-DEL works or a shutdown gets rid of those. Ransomware is not as easy to get rid of since it sticks thru a shutdown/reboot cycle.

Ransomware can usually be gotten rid of in Safe Mode. I haven't had one in over a decade but I had one once that was brand new. It took about an hour I think to get rid of it from what I remember.

I remember decades back a friend on another group did that. He was telling us how some very nice Gal from MS called him to tell him he had a problem with his computer. How nice she was as she walked him through allowing her to fix it over the phone. I contacted him and told him to wipe the damn drive now!! He at first did not like the idea but after a few more told him the same thing he then asked me how. I told him how to do so and he did grumble a little for weeks after what a PITA it was to load all the stuff back again in the days of dial up.

Yup, that was the deal... a person with an East India accent wanting me to grant access to our "puter. Uh uh, no fricking way!!!

When I was in my mid twenties, I had some well spoken guy here in the US call me telling me I won a prize (I had never entered a contest in my life at that point). Of course he needed to verify my bank account number to send me the prize (an iPhone). I laughed and asked him where and what contest did I enter. He stumbled...the mall...I yelled a few choice statements at him and hung up.

Have had those also. But again, it's been awhile. People actually fall for this stuff!!!

Ransomware can usually be gotten rid of in Safe Mode. I haven't had one in over a decade but I had one once that was brand new. It took about an hour I think to get rid of it from what I remember.

Interesting! I should look that up.

The procedure I'm used to has me boot the "puter from a memory stick, then run the cure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top