JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I was excited to get my first reloading kit, and set up my beam type scale.....for the life of me I couldn't get her to sit still, after a while of fiddling with it my lady comes in and says "why do you think that's going to work when a level doesn't?"

I had somehow not put together the fact I live on a boat and therefore can't use a beam scale....so I am asking for advice on which electrionic scale will give accurate readings when off level or while the boat is rocking slightly (she weighs 40T so not too much rock)

The storage unit had been my original thought however the cost, the security on those sites and a few other reasons have done away with that option pretty much entirely.

That'd be challenging! Best thought I can come up with would be a a 3 axis camera gimbal mount. No idea on what it'd cost, nor on if it'd actually work well, ie you'd have to have predictable moments of zero motion.

Look for a digital scale accurate to .001 of a gram is the best I can think of.

Figure out your powder measure on land and then see what it weighs.

I could be wrong but I'd think it will work.

I have a scientific one I got at a garage sale that will change if you lightly blow on it.

Lee powder dippers - unless you have tremors, that is. You might have to do a comparison of readings from the boat and dockside to ascertain the consistency and accuracy. Or contact the manufacturer so they may then scratch their collective heads.

I have found the RCBS Little Dandy throws VERY reliably. It's to the point that I have basically retired my Scale. I buy Powder in Bulk Amounts and ONLY do a Scale Check when I open a new Keg!

Not precision stuff but a lee scoop set might do you well. Practice scooping a bunch on land with an actual scale and see how much spread you get. If your not horribly worried about spread, this should do just fine. I used to load buckshot with this as I could care less if I wasn't exact on each scoop. I keep it just because as well, good back up. This and a lee loader die set will get you loaded in any situation.

1565982791903.jpeg

I should have clarified a bit more, I am not on the hook or underway and I might be worrying over nothing, I am moored at a fairly well protected marina and the list/pitch is something along the lines of 2-4° at approx 120-160 CPM durring the worst times (not accounting for lines going to tension)

The average is closer to 1-3° at 30-40CPM

With the beam scale I was already on Center and bow-stern, granted I'm using a Lee scale but I can even get the thing to zero out without the pointer wondering around.

Hence my question about electrical scales. If nothing else just a good quality scale and maybe I can figure out an oil or air cushion (ziplock bag with gear oil in it) to steady it out, if it even needs it. Again I'm not even sure if it's going to effect an electrical scale like it does a beam scale

My horandy throws great as well but on a rocking boat might be a different story
The Little Dandy uses a Set of machined steel "Slugs". These have machined holes that then "Throw" a given amounts of a given Brand of powder. They were originally intended for Pistol/Revolver loading but I have found they work really well even for loading .45-70 Government & .458 Winchester Magnum. It's just a matter of figuring out how many of which Slug you need. Yes, a Scale is necessary for this Calculation but you only have to do that one time. Being that ALL the parts are machined from metal, the excess powder will be cut as with any other measure of this type.

If you're reloading for one of the Poodle Shooters I'm VERY sure ALL you will need is a single throw of one of the Slugs.

The Little Dandy uses a Set of machined steel "Slugs". These have machined holes that then "Throw" a given amounts of a given Brand of powder. They were originally intended for Pistol/Revolver loading but I have found they work really well even for loading .45-70 Government & .458 Winchester Magnum. It's just a matter of figuring out how many of which Slug you need. Yes, a Scale is necessary for this Calculation but you only have to do that one time. Being that ALL the parts are machined from metal, the excess powder will be cut as with any other measure of this type.

If you're reloading for one of the Poodle Shooters I'm VERY sure ALL you will need is a single throw of one of the Slugs.
Does this work with extruded powders as well?

Does this work with extruded powders as well?
I have a real liking for W-W Ball Powders but have used this system for extruded. It seems to work fine because the extruded I only use for Rifles and a part of a grain is "Close Enough" with those. But I've only been reloading for 45+ years, so I'm still working on getting it right.

I have a real liking for W-W Ball Powders but have used this system for extruded. It seems to work fine because the extruded I only use for Rifles and a part of a grain is "Close Enough" with those. But I've only been reloading for 45+ years, so I'm still working on getting it right.
For my precision rifle reloading, that would drive my OCD nuts! lol
I hand weight each one to 0.02gr or closer to target charge weight. Might not be 100% necessary, but it helps with my confidence in the load anyway :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top