JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So according to SB 941, little over looked thing I seen and inquired about thru my boss who has a lawyer on retainer.

I questioned about the bit of private security professionals being exempt. It was stated that so long as you have a valid DPSST in the state of Oregon, you do not need to do a BGC upon a transfer to you in a private sale/trade.

Any PSO's in Oregon had any experience with this? Technically because I have my DPSST that means according to this law an the interpretation relayed from a lawyer I am exempt from a BGC in a private sale/trade coming to me.

Cool i guess. Go get your DPSST?

Last Edited:
That section of SB 941 reads:

(4) The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:
(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.
(b) The transfer of a firearm as part of a firearm turn-in or buyback event, in which alaw enforcement agency receives or purchases firearms from members of the public.

My bold. What I interoperate that to mean is that a cop, DPSST or military member may be handed a firearm while on duty and not have to go through the background check BS. It is not an exemption fro private sales.

I'm pretty sure that clause relates to transfers done for official purposes in line of duty. I don't know if you outfit yourself or the company outfits you, or they reimburse you or what... but you may only be exempt for transfer of a service firearm.
I'm pretty sure this would be like a deductible in your tax return, but I don't know if that qualifies either.
I wouldn't try to buy a bunch of personal items and claim exemption, and I might find a second opinion (besides the internet).

See thats where i got held up to and i mentioned that but as was relayed to me (grain of salt) i was told so long as the DPSST is valid it counts. YMMV was hoping some form of legal or anyones whose tried had any luck with it.

That section of SB 941 reads:

(4) The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:
(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.
(b) The transfer of a firearm as part of a firearm turn-in or buyback event, in which alaw enforcement agency receives or purchases firearms from members of the public.

My bold. What I interoperate that to mean is that a cop, DPSST or military member may be handed a firearm while on duty and not have to go through the background check BS. It is not an exemption fro private sales.
Pretty sure it also applies if the armor hands an officer a pistol, or a crook drops his gun and the officer picks it up.

Yep. Armed security or police officer can hold a weapon during detainment without the SB 941 BS. Example being if you were in a car crash, they could secure your carry pistol until your spouse picked it up.

Sheet man Prosinski and the @sshats would not even exempt Oregon CHL holders or Curio and Relics transfers which don't even have a damn serial number on them!

Thats what i almost felt like telling my boss. Instead i just asked hoe good of a lawyer he is etc. Only got told hes only good for if he wanted to sue someone or had questions on interpretations which is what a paralegal is for from how he said it to me.

I'd get a new lawyer...

So now the only way this applies to me is while im on duty and have to confiscate a firearm on official duty or to take possession of a firearm from say a company arms room.

Lame!!!

So now the only way this applies to me is while im on duty and have to confiscate a firearm on official duty or to take possession of a firearm from say a company arms room.

Lame!!!
^^^This is the correct interpretation. I'm assuming you have an armed card, so sit back and just be happy you're blue label eligible. ;)

Tell that lawyer

CDqD1KV.jpg

Not my lawyer so I will leave that to my boss who has him on retainer.

I just used him as a vessel to answer a legal interpretation and got a blender result. Neat to know about the blue label program, though it seems I already have that with my Veteran status. Double discount? lol.

As a DPSST Unarmed & Armed Instructor I can tell you that his interpretation is false. It is only while in the course of your official duties are you exempt to the requirement of a background check upon the "transfer" of a firearm. For example, 1. You find an unattended, unsecured firearm and take possession of it for the safety of yourself and the public while you wait for law enforcement to arrive on scene; 2. You affect an arrest and upon searching the subject you find a firearm and take possession of the subject's firearm for your safety, the safety of the public, and even the subject himself; 3. The "transfer" of a company issuing a firearm to the employee for the purpose of being carried and used in the line of duty. These are the most common circumstances that would render a private security professional immune to the requirement of a background check upon the transfer of a firearm in the State of Oregon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top