JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smaller, lighter vehicles with more plastic parts = less safe cars and more highway fatalities. But hey, shut up and take one for the planet.

Ever seen a "smart car" on the highway? Scary.
YEP! When I see those lawnmower's with a body bolted to them I often cringe at the thought of being in there if it is hit. Feels like I would have a better chance on a bike than having that can crushed with me in it :eek:

"...the new standards will reduce pollution and save consumers billions of dollars at the gas pump."

And cost billions of dollars at the dealership plus increased electrical utility bills. Is that electricity going to be 100% non-polluting alt-energy?
Yeah, and free, too! And always available when you need it 'cause there's plenty of electricity and it never gets shut off and we are building plenty of new power plants all the time and we are not constantly letting millions of new people in all the time who will increase electricity consumption and anyway if there are any future problems the democrats will figure it out and... Oh, wait...

Where was your vehicle manufactured?
My Ford Crown Victoria and my Mercury not-so-Grand Marquis are both imports, having been made in Canada.

Mrs. Merkt's Hyundai is domestic, made in Texas.

My elderly 1972 Ford Ranch Wagon was a domestic, but having been made in Los Angeles, some may now consider it to have been made in a foreign country.

"Feels like I would have a better chance on a bike than having that can crushed with me in it"
If you maintain situational awareness on a bike I would guess that your chances of surviving an accident are improved by avoiding it in the 1st place using performance and agility, which you don't have in a Smart car.

55 mpg is completely unrealistic, there are VERY few vehicles that get that kind of mileage now and things certainly won't change that much in 4 years.
clowns to the left, jokers to the right.

55 mpg is completely unrealistic, there are VERY few vehicles that get that kind of mileage now and things certainly won't change that much in 4 years.
clowns to the left, jokers to the right.
And here's the thing. They keep producing cars in the high 100, close to 200 horse power! I don't remember what it was HP wise, but the little 19977 Plymouth Arrow "GT" we bought new back in '77 had 1400CCs and went like a raped ape with that 5speed. Got great mileage too. Typical mid size car now has 1000CCs more. I understand it takes more displacement to run cleaner. The worse part though is they seem to have everyone convinced that that they shouldn't put that extra horse power to use getting on the freeways! So everyone has to hit the skidders to allow these morons to pull out of the acceleration lane at 45 mph. Which in turn creates more pollution because of it.

I remember that there was once a guy who forced his will on the auto industry. His name was Hitler.
Maybe the government should build its own facility to start restamping beetle bodies, make them electric, and make it illegal to own any other vehicle.
That would solve the gas guzzler issue, the equality issue, and the equity issue all in one signature.

Hopefully this crazy crap will be reversed, it's just not possible to implement unless you got rid of 95% of what's being sold.

With that said, my Honda Motorcycle is from 1964 and I'll keep it till the day I die. Lil thing gets 90mpg and will last through my lifetime.

Talking about Dodge getting bad millage, here's one for ya to figure out! My Durango SXT with 340 HP V-6 and AWD gets around 22 MPG Average, and it weighs 4900 pounds! My Wife's Durango SRT V-8 AWD with the 6.1 Hemi churning out 550 HP actually gets better fuel millage, averaging around 24 MPG, both weigh close to the same, and are only a year apart, and yet the Hemi gets better millage, go figure! Less work for that Hemi too move all 4900 pounds!
Where it gets really fun is towing, the V-6 is rated at 5500 pounds, and maxed out, gets the same fuel economy on the flats, but put a mountain pass in front of it, and while it will pull it at freeway speeds, millage drops to as low as 9 mpg, where as the Hemi is rated at 9000 pounds, and will pull that all day, up hill, or across Texas, and get 20+MPH!

Now, for funzies, my 1970 Challenger R/T 440 4 barrel, 4 speed ( 360 HP claimed, real world was closer to 450 HP ) averaged 12 MPG on a good day, when I swapped the 4 speed to a 5 speed with OD top gear, left the 3:73's in the rear end and swapped out that 950 Holley 4 barrel double pumper to an 1050 CFM fuel injection setup, the power climbed to 530, and the fuel millage went to 21 MPG!
Back in the 20's, a Ford Model A could make 40+ HP, and crank out 30 MPG or better, in the 50's a Studebaker Champion with flat head 6 could crank out 110 HP and get near 30 MPG, in the 70's 80's when everything changed, and all the manufactures were forced to "Comply" with fed mandates, cars still only averaged around 160 HP, weighed 3400 pounds, and got 20 MPG if you were really lucky!! Irony, We took Dads 1949 Chevy 3100 series 1 ton to DEQ to make a point, it passed a modern smog test cleaner then many new cars, despite having absolutely ZERO smog stuff on it, and it still got 9 mpg, same as it always did out of it's little 235 inch stovebolt I6 and granny low 4 speed and 4:10 gears! Today, you can drift into any Dodge dealership and wheel a brand new Challenger Hellcat Redeye off the lot, get better then 20 MPG, despite the 730 HP and a heavy right foot on the loud pedal, and have a 5 year warranty, pass any smog check in the country, including Cali's draconian restrictions, and go kill your self with all that power and zero traction or skills needed to drive a car like that, cause Murica!

Talking about Dodge getting bad millage, here's one for ya to figure out! My Durango SXT with 340 HP V-6 and AWD gets around 22 MPG Average, and it weighs 4900 pounds! My Wife's Durango SRT V-8 AWD with the 6.1 Hemi churning out 550 HP actually gets better fuel millage, averaging around 24 MPG, both weigh close to the same, and are only a year apart, and yet the Hemi gets better millage, go figure! Less work for that Hemi too move all 4900 pounds!
Where it gets really fun is towing, the V-6 is rated at 5500 pounds, and maxed out, gets the same fuel economy on the flats, but put a mountain pass in front of it, and while it will pull it at freeway speeds, millage drops to as low as 9 mpg, where as the Hemi is rated at 9000 pounds, and will pull that all day, up hill, or across Texas, and get 20+MPH!

Now, for funzies, my 1970 Challenger R/T 440 4 barrel, 4 speed ( 360 HP claimed, real world was closer to 450 HP ) averaged 12 MPG on a good day, when I swapped the 4 speed to a 5 speed with OD top gear, left the 3:73's in the rear end and swapped out that 950 Holley 4 barrel double pumper to an 1050 CFM fuel injection setup, the power climbed to 530, and the fuel millage went to 21 MPG!
Back in the 20's, a Ford Model A could make 40+ HP, and crank out 30 MPG or better, in the 50's a Studebaker Champion with flat head 6 could crank out 110 HP and get near 30 MPG, in the 70's 80's when everything changed, and all the manufactures were forced to "Comply" with fed mandates, cars still only averaged around 160 HP, weighed 3400 pounds, and got 20 MPG if you were really lucky!! Irony, We took Dads 1949 Chevy 3100 series 1 ton to DEQ to make a point, it passed a modern smog test cleaner then many new cars, despite having absolutely ZERO smog stuff on it, and it still got 9 mpg, same as it always did out of it's little 235 inch stovebolt I6 and granny low 4 speed and 4:10 gears! Today, you can drift into any Dodge dealership and wheel a brand new Challenger Hellcat Redeye off the lot, get better then 20 MPG, despite the 730 HP and a heavy right foot on the loud pedal, and have a 5 year warranty, pass any smog check in the country, including Cali's draconian restrictions, and go kill your self with all that power and zero traction or skills needed to drive a car like that, cause Murica!
il_794xN.929031502_bfhe.jpg

Very nice. I went to school with a guy who had one in orange, it was a sweet ride.
Mine was the quickest around while in high school ( and for several years after), Nobody could beat it in the 1/4 mile unless they had half the engine sticking through the hood! Not too bad for an old wrecked muscle car I put back together during my junior summer between lawn mowing and news paper route! Still have it too, and still drive it like i'm in high school! :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top