JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd been looking for the "next" rifle, I was thinking a lever in a pistol caliber or of the cheap package guns in a different caliber than I all ready have. I wasn't finding pistol calibers at my price point(I have Henry tastes and a Rossi budget) and all the package guns just felt cheap to me. I decided to give a beat up and ugly 1956(the year I was born) Savage 99 in 300 Savage a chance. As a bonus it came with 80 empty cases and 20 loaded ones.
I took the new to me rifle out when I went pistol shooting yesterday. I only shot it at 30 feet to test fire it. I filled the rotary magazine up with 5 rounds of Remington 150gr core locks saw the round counter worked and shot the rifle. Everything worked as it should, using the buck-horn sites I made the group of 5 shots touching. 30 feet isn't really rifle range but it's nice to know the bullets go in the same general direction. Recoil is not much so my wife and other smaller framed people can shoot it. The receiver needs reblueing and the stock needs to be refinished. I think I want to put on a peep site, Marble, lyman and williams all make sites for this model. So fun gun and one I can fix up and tinker with.

Mike M.
Creswell, Ore

The Savage 99 with rotary magazine is a classically beautiful rifle. Build quality is really nice and I like the safety better than the tang safety on the later rifles too. Add a trigger job and sights and you would have a fine companion/truck rifle.

I was thinking of a 308 lever gun and ,of course these came up. I decided to find what the accuracy was like and it seemed that they did pretty well.
Still haven't bought one yet but I do like the gun

Great rifles, my Dad killed many deer with his. I eventually bought one 2 yrs ago, just because. Neat old rifles. I had a 243 with the really nice stock and thin forearm on it, i let that one get away. Kicked myself every since.

I haven't done any more that test fire this rifle but with the unknown ammo that I got with it and the buckhorn sights I believe it to be easily sub minute of Deer at 100 yds. Once I decide between a scope or peep sight and develop a pet load I hope to print respectful groups.

Mike M.

Save your brass.

Seriously.

I started with a Remington 760 in .300 Savage reloading. $.47 vs $1.50 to buy.

.300 Savage is made for 130-150gr bullets. Don't go higher than 150 if you reload or buy.

Fine caliber suited to taking any game in North America.

Currently mine is mounted on the wall. I wish I could get a 99 in .300s to pair it up with the pump. Good shooting rifle.

99's are fun and handy rifles. A buddy back in Montana bought one in high school in 1970 in 250-3000. I bought one at the old Central Gun Exchange in Seattle in 1985, a 22 Savage HiPower. We both still have them and won't part with them. The only drawbacks are parts are hard to come by, and they are tough to work on internally. (One major reason Savage quit the 99 is they were labor intensive to assemble, production costs were way too high).

I ended up with a few hundred rounds of virgin .300 savage brass. I started looking through the parts bin and found a Swedish Mauser action and a Rem 722 barrel in .300 savage. Seems like all the signs pointed towards me needing to build a .300 savage...

I finally found a good deal on a vintage 1960's Weaver "KV" scope (2.75-5 power).
It looks perfect on the 99, I need to get some pics of it.:D
This bit of information may be out of date, but as of three years ago, the former plant manager at the old Weaver factory in Texas was still repairing vintage Weaver scopes with NOS parts he had acquired when the plant shut down. He won't repair any of the new stuff made overseas. I have his contact information somewhere, but I had moved three years ago so I am not sure where I have the address.
The latest issue of Handloader magazine has a picture of a nice old 99 in 250-3000 with an old Leupold Pioneer scope. Sweet looking rifle!

Well, I put a scope on the Savage while developing a pet load, got one that shoots Sierra 150 round nose Pro hunter bullets into a 2" group at 100 yds. That'll be good enough for any hunting I do with that rifle. I took off the scope and today found a period correct Marbles Tang Mount Peep Site that I mounted up. So tomorrow I'll shoot the pet load with the peep site and should have an awesome truck/brush gun.

Rifle and load development is all done, now it's at the gunsmiths getting reblued. Normally I wouldn't reblue an old gun like this but this one someone before me made it really ugly with sand paper and cold blueing. I'll post a photo when I get it back.

Congratulations on your rifle. I still wish I had the 250-3000 that my dad had and traded off when I was young. It was a takedown model if I remember right. Have some 300 brass if you need it.

@oremike
I was thumbing through my boxes and I could my load.

43 grains of 3031 behind a 150gr spitzer Sierra Pro-Hunter.

Shoots better than 2" @ 100 when I am on my game. I've found personally that the older rifles don't shoot well with the higher end of the powder scale.

I'm awaiting photos of the new blued rifle. Should be pretty awesome.

Are you going to refinish the stock too?