Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Savage HMR: convert to thumbhole laminated

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Spitpatch, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

A good buddy of mine has a Savage 17HMR, (conventional style stock, heavy barrel), and has been exploring getting the factory laminated thumbhole stock for it. A gunshow "expert" (term used loosely) said you'd need some trigger guard changes/parts as well.

Has anybody actually done this, or own both rifles to do a side-by-side comparison? My buddy wouldn't want to get a stock and find out he's 50 dollars worth of parts short to make the conversion. Thanks to anyone that can offer personal experience with this.

2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are you talking about the rimfire Savage mark II?

If so, by brother and I have basically the same gun, bull barrel, but have different stocks. I have the generic plastic stock that has the built in trigger guard and has a separate plate for the mag well. While the other rifle has a thumb hole wood stock and requires a metal trigger guard and mag well plate.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-136/Savage-93-Mark-II/Detail
    http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-321/Savage-93--fdsh--Mark/Detail

This site sells a very nice looking stock and includes the trigger guard.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I believe he is talking about the 93R17 (which is basically the same gun)

4. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

According to sharp shooters supply website: "Stocks will fit all Model 93R, 93R17, Mark I and Mark II rimfire models only."

5. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I have. The Factory thumbhole stock is made by Boyds, I don't know if you can buy them directly from Savage but I bought just the Boyds stock from an online store, they're discontinued (at least in the aftermarket) but you may find them in stock somewhere if you look. Yes you will need to buy the metal trigger guard and floorplate, the synthetic stock trigger guard is part of the stock and the synthetic stock floorplate is too big for the thumbhole, nobody had them in stock when I did mine so I ordered them directly from Savage, they came with the hardware too, it was like $45..
    I went with the "Pepper" colored stock to better match the blued barrel...
    dscf0196.jpg
    dscf0190i.jpg

6. Mookie

Mookie Eastern Washington Active Member

All you need is a stock, trigger guard, floor plate and the wood screws.

7. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who replied, (no "smoke blowers") and it was all helpful! I'm forwarding this thread to my buddy.

8. das_napeth

das_napeth Snohomish, WA Member

I personally own both 93r17's they are different trigger guards are different. they mount in different places. I just cut my wood one down so its a poor mans McMillan stock

9. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member