JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm curious what the consensus is, or if a sign is going up at the 100 yard dead end road that forks off to the left from Wolf Creek, a ways past the lanes, but before the fork to the 200+ yard spot. I sometimes use that to dial in handloads since there is no wind, and good shade for my chronometer. That spot is usually pretty darn clean too.

While it does go down a 'road' it is thoroughly closed and blocked off from the backside, and while there is a very large backstop/hillside, it's also very green. It seems as safe as the 200+ yard spot, that has a road at the top of the ridge, and dry grass everywhere.

I believe I know where you're talking about. It would be a shame if they close that off to shooting. I/we haven't /don't shoot there. Not many people do as when we've been there it's been relatively clean. It's a great place for a family to camp for a night or two and pop of some rounds into the hillside. It's possible to shoot there in an unsafe direction if one were to choose too. Point is, I hate to see places were, for the most part, it's possible to shoot safely get closed because numbnuts shoot the wrong direction in such a place.

@turbo_vanner i don't think the location you are referencing is on any list for Saturday.

Trust me there are far worse locations that need clear signage to help some lessor intelligent folk out. Places that essentially shoot right into an open wooded area with the forest being the backstop that are right off the main roads type thing.

Most of the areas where your secluded down at a dead end are known to ODF and the thoughts when we started all of this, was to leave most of those alone and or put in backstops for some.

Lots of the road grade "dead ends" could in theory reopen later on in another limber lease. That's main concern besides no earthy backstop on most of the dead end areas.

There is also a spot about a third the way up on wheeler road, looks to be an old road that ends at the too of a hill. Not an ideal place to shoot.
Maybe you could keep this location in mind as well.
This looks to be the location:
45.7721625, -123.4296886
Could be another spot, as it's hard to tell from satellite. Wish I marked the location then, but I didn't think of it before.

It's too bad people aren't more involved with the things they take part in...

I know the spot you're referring to, I dropped a pin at it on my Google maps the last time I was out and that's it. Judging from the trash, people definitely shoot there and yes it's not ideal. I haven't ventured down that road yet to see how far and what it exactly dead ends too.

I know the spot you're referring to, I dropped a pin at it on my Google maps the last time I was out and that's it. Judging from the trash, people definitely shoot there and yes it's not ideal. I haven't ventured down that road yet to see how far and what it exactly dead ends too.
Yeah, I rarely have enough time to do anything but locate an open spot to shoot. All I could see was the area opened up and trees in the distance, which would indicate no back stop to me.

Five will go on the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd and one will go at the place on Salmonberry Rd that @Koda mentioned on page 6.

was just there today... This empty post wouldn't happen to be that sign by any chance...? Selection_001.jpg

Yep, there's the tires mention in the Wolf Creek thread. Another tree down and more coming down soon. And yes, that post at the other place is naked. It is supposed to have a no shooting sign on it. What are ya gonna do! Stupid stupid stuff.

So frustrating. What irked me the most was seeing more trees shot... thats gonna get that spot shut down like the other one down the road a bit.

Drove by Salmonberry today. here is what the second pit looks like.
View attachment 660826
What is wrong with people, it's not difficult to bring appropriate target, set them up responsibly and cleanup after themselves without destroying trees.

I bring my own steel and this is a great place for that. Unfortunately, stupid shooters are going to get this location closed. Why do they give those who want to shut us down the reasons to do so...

Very frustrating...

Yep, thats where I was and saw the tires. Tree was already down but it looks a bit more clean now than when I was there. I was pretty pissed at the shot up trees too. Who and why does that!? Dont know if you can tell but there were a bunch paper plates and stuff that extended greatly towards the side of the downed tree. It was so much trash I was shocked!

Screenshot_20200216-223125.png

Went up to the Salmonberry put a few weeks back, did some shooting but mostly cleaning. Went up there with an empty truck and left with it almost full. If you have the means, leave it clean!

E91311CD-B0A1-4B79-9F0B-6D5974850D0B.jpeg CE45D51C-9BCD-4925-85FC-94B8186F1235.jpeg D908D7DF-117B-4E81-A915-3338B79586C2.jpeg

Shoot! I may not have mentioned the cleanup happening this weekend at North Fork Wolf Creek Rd Shooting Lanes! So, here's the link to the info...
Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!

Come join us and meet some folks from the Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation, Oregon Hunter's Association of Yamhill County and the Safari Club International of Portland.

With all the help we'll have, we'll be shooting in no time!!! Yee Haa!!

Where is a decent place (open, legal) to punch paper in the 400-600 yard range out in the TSF? I want to avoid crowds and unsafe people/situations. Am looking for a place to take some time, relax, and dial in for a bit.

Most of the places around Salmonberry and Wolf Creek are known, meaning they will be busy on weekends.

You want 4-6 hundred. Keep going further down 26. Do some exploring and you'll see that there are a good amount of spots you may be 1 of 5 that know of after finding.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top