Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Salem shooting area?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by GuyBMeredith, Jan 28, 2015.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

A day or two ago while in the area of Kuebler Blvd and Croisan Scenic Hwy I heard about 45 minutes of what sounded like target practice to the West Southwest. Is there an open shooting area there? If so, that could save me a whole lot of mileage.

2. papahepcat

papahepcat Silverton, Oregon, United States Member

I can't quite picture where that is. Do you mean where Keubler meets Croisan Creek Rd, maybe? I'm pretty sure that's all private property around there. West Southwest of there would be outside city limits, so I can imaging someone shooting on their own property out there.

3. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think you're talking about the bottom of the hill past Sprague high school. There's a quarry there, but the last time I was down there, it was clearly posted "no tresspassing" and "no shooting".

Don't know where you go, but Hwy 22 to the Little North Fork road, turn left, head in ~5 miles, just before you cross the Santiam. It's BLM land there. The logging rights belong to Freres lumber, but I've never seen "no tresspassing & no shooting" signs there on that tract, unlike many other parcels along the road. I've met a bunch of Freres guys there, and they said it was OK, you just couldn't block the gate. Plenty of pistol spots, and there's places where you can get 150 yards off. I never explored longer shots than that.
    Use common sense, though. There's a campground right across the river from there.

alleyoop likes this.
  4. Freefallen

Freefallen Here Member

Everywhere on Croisan Cr is private and has houses near by, including the quarry. There are no trespassing signs and it has frequent city and county drive by. There is no place to shoot in that area, and it amazes me that someone would just pull over set their gear up and start shooting on private land whether posted or not. Seems a good way to find yourself in bad situation.

Think about if someone stopped at your place and started shooting. "Oh hey, saw you had some property and wouldn't mind if I just started running some drills and practicing. " hahaha lots of places out towards independence and silverton.

5. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

I was recently t told that the sounds might be someone scaring geese off. Maybe...

6. Jonfarmer

Jonfarmer Oregon New Member

Freefallen where at near Silverton and Indepenfance? I'm smack dab in the middle of Salem. Also have you heard anything about gooseneck rd being a no go now?

7. Freefallen

Freefallen Here Member

Silverton area would be; Crooked finger, Also up by drakes crossing, grade rd, phelps rd, abiqua has a lot of spots. Out Mahima would be Mcculy Mtn. Best thing I ever did was buy a topical State map that shows every piece of BLM and has all the fixed forest roads and main logging roads.

8. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

yeah go to crooked finger

9. Jonfarmer

Jonfarmer Oregon New Member

How far is crooked finger from Salem

10. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

45ish min to the big pit

11. mikemenzie

mikemenzie Dallas Active Member

My mother and i were just out Gooseneck Creek Rd way last week and it's all open and a little too obviously used. There are two places i saw that are specifically labelled as safety zones with no shooting allowed, but other than that, the main entry to BLM land coming from the 22 has signs posted for shooter info.

If you're interested in heading out that way sometime for a cleanup, i'd like to organize something. It needs it BAD. I don't know anyone in this area, though.
    If you or anyone else here is interested, PM me and maybe we can set something up.