JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm at an outdoor range with an older shotgun. I just went to throw a few rounds into the berm and see how it cycles/feels/etc. Had 15 rounds on me. I haven't shot the thing in 20+ years.

So after the first six rounds I'm reloading and I hear a car driving into my bay. Its a range officer, so I flip the safety on and set the weapon on the table pointed downrange with six rounds in the tube. and turn to go talk to the guy. Well he keeps driving forward....then he makes a left turn and stops right downrange (like 5 feet) from the muzzle of the loaded shotgun. Like between the end of the shotgun and the berm.

I said holy crap and picked up the weapon and pointed it skyward (also a no-no, I know).

The RO propceeded to tell me they preferred us to shoot at actual targets rather than the berm, I told him I was just doing a quick function check if that was OK. He said alright and then drove off.

I'm a little pissed at myself in this situation. I have had RO's here go off on me twice for issues they basically made up rules about (one was shoe related and one was guest related) so I am skittish about them and want to maintain a low profile.

Did I do something incorrectly safety-wise? I'm new at this area so I don't want to make huge waves about it but rather would like to know what I could have done differently here.

A little help please?

no, sounds like the RO was just being an A$$ because he could. He doesn't sound all that safety concious if he stopped between your muzzle and the backstop (within 5 FT) though...JMHO. The perception is probably that if you are shooting at a target, you actually are aiming at something and not just blindly firing...

Specific question: I moved the shotgun to point it upward and away from the guy in the truck, should I have just left it and stopped him that the range was still hot? There was no way I could have unloaded a shotgun in time as he was driving back to where I was.

To me it doesnt sound like a problem at all and i wouldnt read into it. You didnt shoot at a target, he said they prefer that people do shoot at targets, you told him you were just doing a safety check and he said ok and drove off. He didnt say no shooting at the berm, he said they preferred you shoot at targets. Isnt it a range officers job to keep an eye on things? Sounds like he was just doing his job and was respectful to you although stupid for parking where he did. Based on what you described i wouldnt say he went off on you. going off on you would be something like " you bubblegumming ahole!! how dare you shoot at that berm! dont you know we shoot at targets here? now pack up your gear and get lost!" I wouldnt go looking for a new range, just thank him for looking out and move on cause hes the same guy thats gonna stop the lunatic next to you from constantly sweeping everyone.

"I'm new at this area so I don't want to make huge waves about it but rather would like to know what I could have done differently here."

shot at a target instead of the berm. Honest mistake but now you know.

Oh I agree, I'm not saying he did anything other than park in the wrong spot. I just want to make sure I did everything right in this situation with regard to safety and did not compound his parking job with a mistake of my own by handling the weapon to point it upwards.

I would have refrained from handling the firearm. I've never seen a firearm go off just sitting there. Invariably, it is while it is being handled that things happen. Even though it was loaded and he parked downrange from it, it was probably safer to just leave it there until he was clear.

OTOH, I would have told him "I'd would appreciate it if you didn't park downrange when I'm at the bench. I don't feel it's a safe place to go."

elsie

Not all ranges get 'flagged hot' I can assure you. the RO should NOT have driven in front of the line,period,especailly with a gun laying there. I agree that you should not have handled the weapon with him in front of you,just leave it lay.Just make sure that he/someone doens't try to pick it up for any reason,which they certainly should NOT do.

Action range is a cold range that's the rub. But you can shoot shotguns there, and if someone DRIVES up into the small pit while you have a loaded shotgun in your hands pointed down range what are you supposed to do?

Bottom line I think is I should have just left it there and stepped away from it. Live and learn and be safer next time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top