JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FYI:
Lee only advises you use CCI primers partially due to consistency.

You got lucky the whole lot didn't esplode...

FYI- for all you old farts; in case you aren't aware of them, they make wrap-around polycarbonate safety glasses with a range of 1.5 - 3x cheaters built into the bottom of the lenses.

I use the 2x's every day... LOL!
Link?

Asking for a friend..... :D

We all know the inherent dangers of reloading....

Id have to say that it goes beyond over/under charging

I was using a Lee hand priming tool, as I have for 15 years... priming some .45acp cases.

Sometimes I get a little resistance with my Sellier & Bellot brass, primer pockets are tight. Never an issue. I just give a little more pressure and its all done.

I thought that was the case here... So I gave a little more pressure... and the primer ignited and maybe a couple more???? It blew up in my face... got a couple cuts on my nose.

After making sure I still had a face, I went back and found the priming tool... the cover had been destroyed, probably what cut my nose?

Anyhow, here it is..... Good thing I didnt get shrapnel in my eyes. :eek:

On another note, these were Federal 150 large pistol primers... seems they were out of spec and the tight S&B cases were not the issue. I found the primers were deformed and had trouble in all cases, in fact it was a Winchester case which was in place when it blew.

Closer inspection, there were many that were not perfectly round. The edge would catch the side of the primer pocket and tear apart when I compressed it. This was my last pack of them... thank God. I wont be using Federal Primers again

View attachment 545023
I have the same as the O.P. and have never had this happen, gladly!
I also wear safety glasses when loading, lots of things moving around and some things can go flying with no warning!

I have it also .

FYI- for all you old farts; in case you aren't aware of them, they make wrap-around polycarbonate safety glasses with a range of 1.5 - 3x cheaters built into the bottom of the lenses.

I use the 2x's every day... LOL!
YEP!!! I have always used safety glasses. Long ago when I had to go bifocal I used to buy these little stick on deals. When I discovered they made the safety glasses with cheaters built in I LOVED it. Keep several around in clear and tinted for driving. Damn things are cheap enough that I don't care if I lose a pair. ALWAYS keep your eyes covered when working with anything that has the potential to get in the eye. When you work in the medical field you see a hell of a lot of people who wish they had after it's too late.

Link?

Asking for a friend..... :D

I get them by in a box of 12 at a time from my employer... no idea where they're purchased from.

BUT..... here's a link for some bifocal safety glasses for $2.89 a pair, just choose what option you want for magnification.

Pyramex Intruder Bifocal Safety Glasses with Clear Lens

Just found a 12pk of x2.0 bifocals safety glasses for $19.18 ($1.60 ea). In Amazon....

https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Blu...focals+2.0&dpPl=1&dpID=51owmwSaiNL&ref=plSrch

It'll change your life! LOL! :D

Last Edited:
I can vouch for CCI primers being a bit more forgiving...

When I was loading some 10mm a couple weeks ago, a small brass filing somehow got stuck in my RCBS (side push from the primer drop tube, attached to the press). It was on top of the cup, being pushed against 3 primers, denting them before I realized what was going on. They fired without incident, but I could have easily experienced worse.

I also had a case where I had been loading .40 (small primer) and accidentally forgot to change to large primer cup. When priming a 10mm (large primer), the smaller cup created a nice groove all the way around and a blob on the side of the pocket, spilling over. It looked like someone went crazy with a soldering iron. I fired it off at the range with no powder.

I got lucky. I'm usually better than both of those cases, as is probably everyone here. We all load tired or distracted at some point, and it only takes one time. Stay safe.

I get them by in a box of 12 at a time from my employer... no idea where they're purchased from.

BUT..... here's a link for some bifocal safety glasses for $2.89 a pair, just choose what option you want for magnification.

Pyramex Intruder Bifocal Safety Glasses with Clear Lens

Just found a 12pk of x2.0 bifocals safety glasses for $19.18 ($1.60 ea). In Amazon....

https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Blu...focals+2.0&dpPl=1&dpID=51owmwSaiNL&ref=plSrch

It'll change your life! LOL! :D
Thanks brother!

My "friend" appreciates it! :D:p

I've primed countless cases with Federal primers and never had a single one pop off on me. I use an RCBS tool with the gate and a Sinclair single primer tool. The only primer I ever had go off while seating was a CCI 400 while using the Sinclair tool. No resistance to the seating process or anything and it went off.

I have to wear reading glasses which don't allow room for safety glasses. Thanks for the info on safety glasses with readers built in! I will be buying some.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top